Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2002 5:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had someone try to join my MMA class the other day and I turnd him down. I thought he seemed like a nice guy and genuinely interested in the class but he was seriously over-weight like 40 pounds. I told him that if he wanted to join it'd be ok but he'd haveto lose the weight first. I was in no way rude I conducted myself like a gentleman. I even offered to train him for free until he got into shape. I told him it was not personal only it was in his best interest if he was serious. I don't let anyone in poor physical shape join the class because they would start out way behind and could end up being a liability if they got hurt. Like I said I even promised to be his personal trainer to ensure he lost the weight, I even offered to do it for free.

I think he just wanted to be the next Bruce Lee and not have to do any real work for it.

I ran into him yesterday and he joined a local TKD club and I wished him the best of luck with his endeavors He said he would have a black belt before my students could be certified in my course. The other instructor told him he'd need that black belt to hang himself because of shame if he challenged one of my students. He's right :)

I wish people would stop whining and start working....

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    8/19/2002 6:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hehe, what a loser.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2002 6:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's funny. One of the JKD schools I attend had a similar incident. This fella grades by levels instead of belts. One kid quite and 6 months later had a brown belt in some Fong Soo Kwong art or something. One of his friends in the class griped because he was only level 2 but his buddy went elsewhere and got a brown belt. The teacher said to him "Can he beat you yet in a fight?"
    "Um, no. I still win when we spar."
    "So I guess his brown belt would really be a level 1 then wouldn't it?"

The Oldschool is here....and I'm going to Rell in a Randbasket!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2002 6:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LORD!!!

these are the types of school "I" have to compete with too. Sucks when rank is more important than skill.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2002 8:36pm

Style: Goju Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    10 fingers - you're 19 and you teach an MMA class? I don't get it.
  6. 9chambers

Posted On:
    8/20/2002 1:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tank Abbot is out of shape compared to most UFC fighters .. its not the end of the world .. you can still fight decently if you know what you are doing.

Just because a guy is fat I wouldn't turn him away. His weight advantage could give you a real workout during grappling ~ and I don't know a faster way to work off those pounds.

>> To be bound by traditional martial art style or styles is the way of the mindless, enslaved martial artist, but to be inspired by the traditional martial art and to achieve further heights is the way of genius. - Bruce Lee

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2002 10:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nah fat losers like that just need to GET REAL!

He obviously wanted to be Bruce Lee without the hardship, just as 10 Fingers said, so turning him down was the right thing to do... he needs to learn that anything worth doing is not easy!

Posted On:
    8/20/2002 12:48pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it's cool that the extremely obese have to pay for extra seats on airplanes now.

Not that this has anything to do with the discussion.

The other day on CNN they did a report on this, where several obese people were forced to either pay for an extra seat, or take a bus provided by the airline to their destination.

They showed them getting off the bus, going to a convenience store, buying soda and candy and chips, all the while complaining that it was unfair of the airline to discriminate against them.

Some people really need to be retroactively aborted.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2002 1:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good for you 10fingers! As with most people, he wanted rewards without effort. Gimme, gimme. If he was serious, he would have taken you up on your offer of personal training, I would have if I needed it. You need a certain level of cardio fitness to do this stuff; I don't want some blimp huffing and puffing and dripping sweat all over me and just laying on top of me, that's not grappling, that's a Friday night date (j/k).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2002 2:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't turn anyone away for their size unless I were 19 years old and thought I was the greatest.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast