Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2006 1:26pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd pass on "Theory & Technique" at this point ... too much better stuff out there now. I'd suggest Ed Beneville's "Passing the Guard" for the top game & "The Essential Guard" for bottom, at least for starters. "Passing the Guard" is great, IMO; very clear & well organized, with much more sensible illustrations than most BJJ books. The sequel "The Guard," unfortunately, isn't as useful--Beneville hooked up with Joe Moreira as co-author, & while Moreira brings star power & a ton of technique, it's actually too much; the clarity of the approach is diminished, and they crammed in so many techniques that the illustrations are smaller. I think "Essential Guard" would be less likely to overwhelm a novice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2006 8:45am

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Royce/Kid's "Ultimate Fighting Techniques Vol. 1" is a great compliment to "The Essential Guard". They've also got "Ultimate Fighting Techniques Vol. 2" coming out soon...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 11:11pm

Style: wu tang

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've only been training about six months, but I really like that Best Judo book, found it at my library. Might help you figure out some throws and has some ground stuff.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    4/25/2006 11:53pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I bought a bunch of the Gracie/Peligro books. Even before I started BJJ I practiced some of the moves with my wrestling. Good stuff and I even tapped out a white belt at 6 months. Could roll with the other whites too and not die because even though I didnt know how to do all the moves I had a basic idea of them. I knew to keep my arms in head up in the gaurd and bla blah blah

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 3:02am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not a good indication of lessons though. The positional system alone will give you a HUMONGOUS advantage.

I choked out a blue belt in Traditional JJ after just knowing some BJJ theory.. the FIRST time I grappled properly, with a RNC of all things. I even crossed my feet in backmount and he didn't do ****.

Regardless

Ultimate Fighting Techniques, Passing the guard, The guard. These are the only books I feel I've gotten anything out of (that doesn't mean I've gotten a LOT out of them). I haven't read the essential guard. I wouldn't touch Theory & Technique if you threw it at me. Not even for reference.

UFT surprised me the most. Don't judge a book by its cover indeed.
    More human than human is our motto.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12