and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    3/14/2006 10:49am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What's the deal with BJJ Seminars?

I was told last night that next month the BJJ blackbelt that my two instructors are under will be coming to town to do a seminar. The way it was brought up made it seem kinda mcdojo-ish since nothing other than cost, paying the week before he came, and supporting the club was talked about. So I'm still not sure what to expect.

Facts:
    $35 cost which was said to be a 'good deal'. It'll be going on for over half a day. We were told that it's not mandatory but it's 'strongly encouraged' to support the black belt and keep him coming back down here for our club.

1) Is this a normal bjj thing? how common are bjj seminars?
    2) is $35 a 'good deal'? What's a 'bad deal'?
    3) What would a BB be teaching or doing different than my purple belt instructors?
    4) As a newbie white belt, would I actually gain anything by going?

I did ask my coach these same questions and got a show-up-and-you'll-see vibe. So I ask you guys. And anything else on seminars would be cool as well.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    3/14/2006 11:08am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. Fairly common. The worth of the seminar will depend on the instructor, his teaching style and how appropriate the subject material is to your skill level.
    2. $35 is a good deal for a seminar taught by a black belt. IMO anything over $60 is bordering on obscene. Truthfully I am reluctant to pay over $40 for a seminar.
    3. Succinctly stated, subtle nuances. As a purple, I'm constantly amazed at the depth of knowledge my instructor has regarding moves I think already have a thorough grasp on. Sometimes a tiny adjustment makes a world of difference. Regarding groundfighting technique, the devil is in the details I like to say.
    4. Go and find out. If you don't learn anything, don't go next time.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Not over zealous, but just zealous enough. 病気の粗悪品

Posted On:
    3/14/2006 11:19am

Style: Okinawan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know anything about BJJ, but usually the way seminars work is that an insturctor will want to make a minimum amount, like $500 or $2000 to show up and do a seminar. It is not a bad thing, just the way things are. It needs to be worth his while to show up.

So usually the local instuctor are making a guarantee of a certain amout and then kind of figuring how many people will show up and then what the cost should be based on that.

Now in some cases whatever is made above and beyond the minumum the local guys can keep, or split with the visiting instuctor or just give it all to him.

Keep in mind this guy is traveling and giving up his time for this.

I know that a standard rule of thumb for most instuctors is that a private lesson for one hour is usually $35.

So $35 for a seminar sounds like a good deal.
    People often tell me that I fail to see the gravity of the situation.
    I see the gravity, and I say...

Step right up folks and watch me defy gravity!

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    3/14/2006 11:35am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    $35 for a seminar is pretty good deal depending on who the instructor is. You can get new material and see new styles.

I've done a few and I liked them. Truthfully, I don't remember much of the technique work though.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    3/14/2006 1:42pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    35 bucks is a good deal. If you actually go the Lloyd Irvin route and write the material down you'll be closer to getting your money's worth.

I'm luck to remember a single technique variant per seminar (or class for that matter).

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    3/14/2006 1:48pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the dope tips you guys. I'll sign up and write some crap about it in my log.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    3/14/2006 2:01pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you have a video camera or digital camera record the techniques that are taught, otherwise you'll just forget them and you'll be wasting your money. Even a notebook and a pen can help a lot. And 35$ is a pretty sweet deal for a Decent BJJ BB.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/14/2006 2:14pm

Style: bjj and hitting stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a common thing, and as a newer grappler, I'm not really sure how much you'd get out of it...

I'm not really a fan of seminars personally.

I don't ever seem to retain techniques learned from them, maybe it's just not a good way for me to pick up new stuff.

What is cool about them though is if there is an open mat after the seminar, getting to roll with new people is almost worth the price of admission.

Posted On:
    3/14/2006 2:24pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to echo everyone else: $35 bucks for a BJJ black belt seminar is pretty damn good.

On the other hand, you just started. I wouldn't worry about getting too many seminars under my belt for awhile, if I were you.

Say it with me: MAT TIME! MAT TIME! MAT TIME!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/14/2006 2:34pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the black belt that comes to do seminars at my gym charges $80.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast