Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2006 3:46pm

Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's good to remind that kind of thing is always possible in physical activities like sports, let alone martial arts.

Not over zealous, but just zealous enough. 病気の粗悪品

Posted On:
    3/13/2006 3:49pm

Style: Okinawan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had a little dog pop his eye out by "nosing" a door open. I had to take him down to the vet right away with his head wrapped in a towel. The vet poped it back in and bandaged his eye shut for a week and then he was fine. Never poped it out again, and seemed to see fine out of that eye. (although I think he had trouble when he was reading)
    People often tell me that I fail to see the gravity of the situation.
    I see the gravity, and I say...

Step right up folks and watch me defy gravity!

Posted On:
    3/13/2006 3:57pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have two glass eyes. Therefore I eye gouges are useless against me. I'm invincible aside from the fact that I can't see.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2006 4:06pm

Style: Judo, Xbox

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Punisher
    Still there are people that say that sucessfullly poking someone in the eye won't cause much damage or won't stop a trained fighter.
    Those people are full of ****.

On a side note, my father got his left eye knocked out playing baseball in highschool. They put it back in and he's been fine ever since. Well, at least his vision has.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    3/13/2006 4:32pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ****! I'm not even going to watch it. Gosh, did the poor fellow recovered? I hope he didn't lose his eye.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    3/13/2006 6:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    at the end of 28 days later, Jim kills one of the soldiers by jamming his thumbs into the guys eye sockets
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Genius

Posted On:
    3/13/2006 6:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Punisher
    Still there are people that say that sucessfullly poking someone in the eye won't cause much damage or won't stop a trained fighter.

Do you really think this is evidence that an eyepoke will stop a trained fighter? Against a well-trained figher, such a poke might be a slight distraction. Sure, he might lose his sight in that eye, but a little poke like that probably wouldn't end the fight.

Old School DM

Posted On:
    3/13/2006 6:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Nothing current

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have 2 points to make -

1) I don't recall there being much debate about how effective eye gouges are, I think most of the debate surround how impractical they are because its damn hard to land them against a resisting opponent. Notice that in neither of the examples given in this thread was anyone actually trying to gouge (or defend against a gouge).

2) I think whether or not it would stop a person depends on the situation. If I think you're trying to kill me, then **** it, I'm ignoring the fact that my eye is out and I'll keep trying to pound your head into paste. If we're just sparring at the gym then I'll be tapping so fast it'll make your head spin.
    Jesus loves you. I think you're an asshole.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2006 7:11pm

Style: Jujutsu, freestyle Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    at the end of 28 days later, Jim kills one of the soldiers by jamming his thumbs into the guys eye sockets

I really hate to say it, but that movie totally owned Romero's latest zombie flick.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/13/2006 7:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://ejmas.com/jmanly/articles/200..._gorn_0401.htm

"The shock received by the Kentuckyan, and the want of breath, brought him instantly to the ground. The Virginian never lost his hold; like those bats of the South who never quit the subject on which they fasten until they taste blood, he kept his knees in his enemy’s body; fixing his claws in his hair, and his thumbs on his eyes, gave them an instantaneous start from their sockets. The sufferer roared aloud, but uttered no complaint. The citizens again shouted with joy. Doubts were no longer entertained and bets of three to one were offered on the Virginian."

This is an article by historian Elliot Gorn on the "rough and tumble" or "gouge-fighting" style that was prevalent in the Sourthern US during the 1800s. Lots of accounts of fighters losing eyes (that was the main aim of the style).
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast