Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Not over zealous, but just zealous enough. 病気の粗悪品

Posted On:
    3/13/2006 11:12am

Style: Okinawan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A little history - Bronko Nagurski

This guy was an awsome fighter as well as an American Football player. I am sure that if he were around today he would be a UFC or some other MMA fighter.

Bronko Nagurski

BORN: Nov. 3, 1908 in Rainy River, Ontario
    DIED: Jan 8, 1990

Excerpts from CHAMPIONS: All Pros of All Kinds

By Bob Oates

Bronko Nagurski, American Football’s First Big WinnerIn the days when football was played largely on the ground, everyone was in awe of another Chicago ballcarrier. Of the All-Pro football players who stirred America in the twentieth century, Bronko Nagurski joined Red Grange and Sammy Baugh in the first wave. And to sports fans, each symbolized something different.Baugh was a precision passer, Grange a matchless open-field runner, Nagurski the ultimate power symbol.As a physical specimen, Nagurski, of the three, was the most masterful.

In a time when the game wasn’t as intellectually demanding as it was to become, Nagurski took charge as a famously feared power runner who seemed to be the essence of what football was all about.

Nagurski a 225-pound fullback standing six-two, Nagurski, who in 1933 led the Chicago Bears to victory in the National Football League’s first championship game, is identified in his hometown as the greatest football player of all time. The town is International Falls, which is in the far north of Minnesota.

In the 1930s, at one time or another, almost every Chicago cameraman caught Nagurski ferrying an opponent or two across the goal line on his back. For decades, his name summoned the raw energy of football. And to this day, they point out the brick wall in Chicago that Nagurski cracked when he ran into it carrying a football one fall afternoon in Wrigley Field, home of the Cubs and, then, the Bears.

Scoring the winning touchdown in that game – at the south end of a cramped field where the end zone was only nine yards deep – Nagurski stomped on two opponents, leaving one unconscious and the other with a broken shoulder. Next he collided with a goal post and spun into the wall, which stopped him at last. Picking himself up, he told a teammate, "That last guy hit pretty hard."

At an NFL game years later, when former quarterback Fran Tarkenton asked him about that day, Nagurski remembered everything but fracturing the wall.

"Oh, c’mon now," Nagurski said. "No human could crack a brick wall."

"But I’ve seen the crack myself," Tarkenton said.

No human, maybe. But Nagurski had super-human strength. Everybody who played in that era said so.

Bronko Nagurski was probably best known for his accomplishments on the football field, but also rose to the top of the wrestling world.

Born in 1908 in the small border town of Rainy River, Ontario to parents Michael and Amelia Nagurski, the youngster grew up an athlete in Minnesota, having to run four miles each day to school and back to the family farm, where he lived with his parents and three siblings. He loved wrestling and boxing as a teen, but his mother tried to dissuade him, frightened that he might get hurt.

But Bronko wouldn't be stopped. He was an All-American at the University of Minnesota from 1927 to 1929, and was the only player in U.S. college history to make all-star at two positions -- fullback and tackle. In 1930, he was signed by George Halas to the Chicago Bears, and helped the Bears to championships in 1932 and 1933.

New York Giants coach Steve Owen once said "The only way to stop him is to shoot him before he leaves the clubhouse" and that "Bronko runs his own interference."

Another player, Ernie Nevers, once said "Tackling Bronko was like trying to stop a freight train running downhill."

The tenacity payed off in the wrestling ring too.

For most of his career he was managed / handled by Tony Stecher, brother and manager of former NWA World champion Joe Stecher, and himself a light-weight wrestler. It was Tony Stecher that first got The Bronk to try wrestling in 1933, and Nagurski debuted in February of that year, defeated Tag Tagerson in four minutes.

Nagurski hit his peak during the late '30s, early '40s, when he held the NWA World title twice, beating Lou Thesz June 23, 1939 for his first win. Nagurski would lose the title to Ray Steel March 7, 1940, and regain it from Steele a year later on March 11, 1941. Sandor Szabo finally took the gold from Nagurksi on June 5, 1941.

Nagurski retired from wrestling in 1960 a physical wreck, and for the last years of his life, he ran a gas station in International Falls, Minnesota. He died Jan 8, 1990.

Link 1
    Link 2
    Last edited by Rhamma; 3/13/2006 11:47am at .
    People often tell me that I fail to see the gravity of the situation.
    I see the gravity, and I say...

Step right up folks and watch me defy gravity!

Perpetually Punchdrunk

Posted On:
    3/13/2006 7:41pm

Style: TKD, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A physical wreck huh? How did that happen? (honestly, how DOES that happen?)
    Rad ki was made up by adolescents. I do not know who created trad ki but it was not made by adolescents. your an ass dude, Im not being a little bitch you are, your past the level of a bitch. Your beyond Bitch! If im easting my time with ki and psi, then your wasting time to prove frauds, and all **** like that! -theoutsider

Kick boxing is ok, but don't expect do beat a man like Rickson Gracie with that. You need a real martial art. You need Xing Yi Quan. -Emptyflower

The splits, how ever, have a few martial uses. Doing the splits for me, can put my fists in testical strike range.

dont ignore the Art for the Martial or else your just kick boxing

Yes i am serious, there are kicks that can block punches. we have them in Moo duk kwan.
    I want to learn how to use them in case my arm gets broken in a fight.
    what would you have me do? if my arm gets broke, not block punches? -sempi-stone

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    3/13/2006 11:47pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Brick no hit back my ass.