Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 5:43am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    With my body type, I find that going up on both knees (and in some cases just one knee) creates too much space. I typically play my side control flat ala 100 kilos and walk to a 45 angle before working.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 3:13pm

Style: taido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well, i think this is a result of my grappling style and flexibility. I do stay on both knees, they just go really wide. I can keep my weight on them, but i can't really push (as you are able to with legs outstretched). My style is not about holding people in place (i think this is a result of almost always being outweighed and outmuscled), but more of a moving quicker than the other guy and trying to find holes in his game. I feel this also gives me a better base for striking, which i usually mix with the grappling. i geuss i'm the odd man out here. anybody with me?

The r34l Drunken Jiu Jitsu

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 3:16pm

supporting member
     Style: _razilian _iu _itsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is no one or right way. You can switch between the different variations a dozen times once you have side control.
    :google:

Number of bottles of beer downed by me and my girlfriend within a half hour while playing the Channel 7 "how many times will they say 'snow' game" during the "Blizzard of '06": 3.5 each.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 10:10pm

Style: TKD; BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been playing twister side control a lot (facing the legs, hips down) and as such my instructor thought I ought to know how to do the twister. It's tough to get the roll, and sometimes I get my back taken while hooking the leg, but it's an interesting move. I use it to take the back (ninja) provided I get the roll successfully. Plus if they don't give you the leg, you take mount. And you can threaten with Kimuras if they try for an underhook to push you off. I've found it's best to beat the near arm from a regular side control, and then switch hips and transition.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 10:32pm

Style: BJJ & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fatherdog
    I never get on both knees for side control; it takes your weight off of him, and I don't feel it offers any significant advantages over "center" side control.
    What about when you're passing to mount or knee on belly? Do you just bring the knee in for a split second or do you have some crazy way of passing that doesn't require both knees in?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 11:23pm

Style: TKD; BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Villain: I was using it to take the mount before. I knew about the twister but there was no way I was gunna try it out since it looked so complicated, especially when the mount is right there. But I've been in the position where the guy on the bottom is turning into me and giving me the leg, so I decided to try and learn the twister.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 12:24am

Style: BJJ & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Villain
    Since when did you need both knees? My coach always does it with one.
    I've never seen anyone pass to mount with one leg out. I can't even imagine how you would go about doing it.

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 1:16pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Meager
    I've never seen anyone pass to mount with one leg out. I can't even imagine how you would go about doing it.
    Again, assuming that their head is on my left side, their feet are on my right -

My right knee is in, tight to their hip.

My left leg is extended, straight back, knee off the ground, on the toes.

To take mount -

I dig the toes of my right foot into the mat. I rock back on this foot slightly, as if I were trying to bring my heel to the ground. This brings my knee up off the mat. I then push into the mat with my toes and drive that knee forward, across their stomach. As the knee slides across, my hips turn to face his head, dragging my left leg towards his body. As soon as my right knee hits the mat on the other side, my left leg bends as I assume normal mount position.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2006 8:42pm

Style: MT, Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I play a really spastic side control game. Very rarely will I sit in a set side control position because I find it alot harder to catch a guy in a submission from a static position than I do moving around him until I finally catch him failing to adjust during a transition. However, If I'm exhausted, or If I'm just trying to stall in competition or something, I do it one of two ways.

1. Modified kesa-gatami/scarf hold - I train with alot of judo guys who are very good at judo and they've been showing me how to effectively keep this position, also I find it very easy to trap the arm closest to me between my legs to isolate the other arm and it's also very easy to transition to north/south from here if the guy beneath you gets squirmy and manages to get you off his hips and get some breathing room

2. Basic "100 kilos" side control - far knee on his hip, underhooking his head and driving my shoulder into his face so it's harder for him to shrimp out. other hand can underhook his arm or block his hip to turn him onto his side. never sit on your insteps, always stay onthe balls of your feet so you can move, chest to chest.

these work well for me because they're the heaviest and easy for me to transition out of, and it they make it really uncomfortable for the guy or girl on bottom, so they tend to try and escape quickly or panic because they don't like being there and half the time I don't have to force them to make a mistake, they'll do it on their own.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12