Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/11/2006 3:22pm

Style: shopping around currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks for the help everybody. i went in to the BJJ school today. seems like a nice bunch of guys.

they offer BJJ for $75/month
    and a seperate no-gi training for $50/month (which i assume is what the MMA training is, though i'm not sure).

are these good prices?

the way everyone talked about BJJs rates, i thought it would be more costly then this.

anyways thanks agian. i think i'm gonna join the BJJ school. anything i should know before my first class, aside from i'm going to get tapped out all the time?

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    3/11/2006 4:30pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How many classes can you go to a week? I pay $120 for 2 classes a week. Its kinda high but on Long Island its pretty cheap because everything is so expensive here. Matt & Nick Serra have theirs by me too but its farther from me and starts at $150.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    3/11/2006 4:34pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Despite being an unabashed bjj pusher, if you can train under an olympic trainer, you may be passing over a great opprotunity. While there may be a lot of BS at the school check it out and try and find out about the judo only classes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/11/2006 5:37pm

Style: shopping around currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well i'm not really sure how many times a week i can train.

i believe it's 3 classes a week, but i'm not sure if you pay your money and you can go to as many as you want. thats the impression that i got from the instructor.

if that's the case then it's 5 classes a week. 2 hour session on tuesdays and thursdays and a 1 hour on saturday. but i'm not sure if the "adult BJJ" classes are reserved for non-beginners, because there's also a "BJJ basics" session, according to his website.

but he has a forum so i'll ask there. :D

and yeah upa lumpa, that's what made the decsion so hard to make. but the BJJ school is alot closer to me. but i'll have to give the judo teacher a look, in the future.

Office Drone

Posted On:
    3/11/2006 6:08pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    It is easier to go from a Judo school to a BJJ school than it is from a BJJ school to a Judo school.
    Interesting

Any particular reason why?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/11/2006 8:48pm

Style: ex-Judo starting bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's easier to go from judo to bjj because of the unsightly hunched stance you develope in bjj-firsters, kind of like wrestlers. Besides that, bjj people probably will have trouble with the stand-up-after-few-seconds-on-the-ground rule of judo.

Posted On:
    3/12/2006 4:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by geves
    thanks for the help everybody. i went in to the BJJ school today. seems like a nice bunch of guys.

they offer BJJ for $75/month
    and a seperate no-gi training for $50/month (which i assume is what the MMA training is, though i'm not sure).

are these good prices?

the way everyone talked about BJJs rates, i thought it would be more costly then this.

anyways thanks agian. i think i'm gonna join the BJJ school. anything i should know before my first class, aside from i'm going to get tapped out all the time?
    Dude, most of the people on this thread are on crack. You can train with a Pedro Sauer purple, good bunch of guys, and $75/month is damn cheap. Many BJJ players also know a good deal of judo throws from standing. Start there, and roll with judo guys in 6 months. You'll do a lot better than starting in judo and rolling with BJJ guys in 6 months.

Good choice in my opinion.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2006 5:36pm

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chingythingy
    Many BJJ players also know a good deal of judo throws from standing. Start there, and roll with judo guys in 6 months. You'll do a lot better than starting in judo and rolling with BJJ guys in 6 months.
    Sorry to say but your reasoning of "Many BJJ know good deal of Judo throws..." is pretty poor. Because that's like saying "Many Judo know good deal of submissions..."

Of course BJJ and Judo both use similar if not same throws and subs. But typical Judo player spends most of their time drilling standup game while typical BJJ player spends on ground game.

Knowing and doing (training) are two different thing.

Only thing I'd be worried is this guy thinking he spent enough time practicing breakfall from Judo, slack off practicing that when he starts Judo, and get himself tossed and screw up breakfall and hurt himself.

As for personal opinion, I think it's easier for Judo guy to transition into BJJ rather than BJJ to Judo because of rules. Judo has lot more restrictive rules than BJJ so it'd be easier to transition into art that has more relaxed rules while coming from art with more relaxed ruleset to restrictive ruleset would be alot more difficult to deal with.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    3/12/2006 8:03pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Camus
    Interesting

Any particular reason why?
    Getting thrown hurts

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    3/12/2006 8:06pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chingythingy
    Dude, most of the people on this thread are on crack. You can train with a Pedro Sauer purple, good bunch of guys, and $75/month is damn cheap. Many BJJ players also know a good deal of judo throws from standing. Start there, and roll with judo guys in 6 months. You'll do a lot better than starting in judo and rolling with BJJ guys in 6 months.

Good choice in my opinion.
    Sure a purple is good, but the other guy apparently coached olympians.
    You're an idiot.

If the Korean can teach and runs most of the classes he should start with the judo.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast