Posted On:
    5/07/2003 11:01pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm beginning to think I'm wasting my time
    Just beginning to?

Heard the story about the guys trapped in a mine.
    They spend hours digging until someone figures something out.
    He turns to them and says 'guys we are digging in the wrong direction'.
    The others look at him in annoyance 'quiet, we are making great progress'.

From your posts you don't seem to be enjoying the center, or learning anything useful. So why are you there?

--------
    El Guapo says, ""You can buy muscles, but you can't buy COJONES!"
    --------
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    5/07/2003 11:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boston's got a pretty decent sized Chinese community, so I bet you'll find SOME kind of kung fu schools in the area.

It sounds as if he is Chinese, or has adopted some of their attitudes. If he doesn't correct you, maybe it's because you the last time he did it, you didn't listen? In the old school, mistakes were corrected once, and a mistake made again was an affront to your teacher.

I find it funny that some people still sometimes equate skill and attitude with race.

I'm not saying you guys are rasists, and no one said anything like, "A guy has to be Chinese to be any good".

Maybe you are just stating social and cultural facts, and I'm being hypersensitive.

All I know is the best overall fighter, martial artist, and instructor I ever had the pleasure to train with was a Wing Chun Sifu named Mike Del Campo.

Assholes and frauds come in every color.

Wandering Daoist

Posted On:
    5/07/2003 11:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who's equating skill and attitude with race? Those attitudes are from the old-school of Chinese culture, and if he were a Chinese sifu, it would be reasonable for him to have them. If, on the other hand, he were an ABC or belonged to another race, it would be reasonable to expect him to teach with a different attitude native to his own culture, but of course this might not always be the case.
    "The morning glory blooms for an hour. It differs not at heart from the giant pine, which lives for a thousand years."

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    5/08/2003 12:09am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not saying it isn't reasonable or understandable, but it is also possible he is just an asshole.

You never said or implied, "The guy is Chinese so he must be...."

That's why I didn't call you a racist. The comments just reminded me of other people I've spoken to that only wanted to train under an Asian teacher becuase they were supposely more in-tune with the art, or have used their own culture as an excuse to belittle or hurt others.

Having a different culture doesn't justify the poor treament of others. A lot of people that beat their wife and kids point to their cultural background as an excuse.

Nothing that anyone one said in this thread went anywhere near there, but like I said it was close enough to remind me of other people that have gone there in the past and was a catalyst for me posting my feelings on the subject.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2003 1:17am

Style: WC, etc.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I heard about the Yang place, there is a catalog with lots of books and videos. He writes for Inside Kung Fu mag. I don't know about his classes though. I imagine there is a website.
    I am curious, what school are you in Masta?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2003 9:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My comment on the Chinese community had to do with proliferation of Kung Fu schools. Nothing more. I learned WC from a white guy too, so?

I am not so stupid to think race has anything to do with quality or ability... or haven't you read any of my retorts to Kungfoolss' posts that were based on race/nationality?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2003 9:44am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, on self defense, Mercurius: The only gun I've ever had call to use was a 22 against some aggressive soda cans. However, I have used martial arts to save my ass. If I want to advise Masta to seek a different school in terms of ACTUALLY LEARNING MARTIAL ARTS, well, that's where it comes from.
    "Once our friend here becomes a master, he can teach the class as he sees fit"-- So, is he going to just generate his own style, and become a master? Why bother going to this guy's school at all? He can just "perfect" moves that he makes up in his garage and be a master that way. Save $ and a commute.

Posted On:
    5/08/2003 9:58am

Style: lame

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow.

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    5/08/2003 10:37am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am not so stupid to think race has anything to do with quality or ability... or haven't you read any of my retorts to Kungfoolss' posts that were based on race/nationality?

Like I said when I replied to Mercurius, I had no intention of implying you personally have these feelings, or your comment was reflective of them.

I wasn't commenting on your feelings or even really what you said, I was commenting on the sizable group of ignorant people I've met that still seem to think that to find a decent kung-fu school you have to go to Chinatown.

It would have been racist if you said, "There are no Chinese people in my town, so there are no good kung-fu schools" You didn't say that and I did not take your orignal comment to be inherently racist, but your comment along with what Mercurius said reminded me of people I have encountered who were racist and ignorant.

THOSE people are ignorant, racist, and stupid. You guys are not.

Edited by - Punisher on May 08 2003 10:39:19

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2003 11:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe you are very comited to this school. That is a good thing. It is so very difficult to find a student in todays "what ever man" type of society. People don't want to be told what to do and often don't even want to show up to class. However...I, unfortunatly, think you are spinning your wheels there. If the sifu (although he does deserve your respect) is not helping you to become a more confident martial artist then he is doing your martial spirit a great injustice. That brings us to the next point. Your attitude (at least how it shows up in this post) Doesn't really leave you with much room to complain. You recieved training, incouragment, and are now a senior student that is trusted with leading the class. A "martial hobby-ist" should be happy. Maybe you should look into your own feelings befor you look into a new school. Not all martial artists own their own school. nor do they make a living off their skill you know. I think that you are actually a martial artist...You just don't know it yet.

A house will stand on rock and fall on sand but the mountain will thrive anywhere. Find your self firm in what you believe and what you have learned and you will never waver.
    Wong Sifu
    May he rest in peace
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast