Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    5/06/2003 4:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Masta,

Whatever you do, don't be too hard on yourself; just be honest. Just because you are something now, it doesn't necessarily mean you'll stay that way.

Like I said before I never quit, but I did end up resenting my instructor a lot. It took a four-year break for college and a lot of maturing on my part to realize how close to "being part of the herd" I really was.

Now that I've restarted training, I do things totally different. I'm one billion times more serious and get a lot more out of it. Even so, my instructor told me that he considered me a good student, but not necessarily a great one just the other day.

I guess he is still just trying to motivate me. If I keep with it, Iíll be his first student ever to start completely over and receive a second black belt and he stills seems to find the need to keep raising the bar for me.

Funny thing is Iím our schoolís kata and sparring champion in our under black belt menís division and Iím good enough for my instructor to make me the captain of our schoolís demonstration team, so I guess just being ďgoodĒ is just fine with me.

Iíve given up trying to please him anyway; I just worry about pleasing myself.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2003 4:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Masta, shame to hear Yang Jwing Ming's school has a bad rep. I dig his books for the most part.

Look into the Tai Chi place, I guess, and see what's up w/ San Soo too.

Boston's got a pretty decent sized Chinese community, so I bet you'll find SOME kind of kung fu schools in the area.

http://www.usadojo.com/schoolsmassachusetts.htm

http://yp110.superpages.com/listings.phtml?CID=7999EF231C2&AL=&C=marti al+arts&T=Boston&STYPE=S&SRC=msn&S =MA&NA=&PM=02b8fd6f&LC=54&PI=1&amp ;MC=1&CB=&PP=

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2003 8:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all the help guys. I'll check back with you later. Fighty I have heard and read on the Internet that Yang is never even there. He has his students running the school. Thanks again.

Edited by - mastawannab on May 07 2003 08:27:07

Wandering Daoist

Posted On:
    5/07/2003 11:56am

supporting member
     Style: Karate, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let's not be too hard on his teacher; we all recall how Yip Man taught that way (cold, distant, let senior students teach), and the results are in his students like Leung Ting, William Cheung, Wong Shun Leung, Hawkins Cheung, Ho Kam-Ming, and... Jesus, what was that one guy's name? Oh yeah, Bruce Lee.

Granted, I may be making a faulty association, and it would be hazardous to assume that every cold, distant teacher will produce international film stars. But if yours is as apt as you make him out to be, perhaps there is still more that can be done on your end before you give up this art totally.

It sounds as if he is Chinese, or has adopted some of their attitudes. If he doesn't correct you, maybe it's because you the last time he did it, you didn't listen? In the old school, mistakes were corrected once, and a mistake made again was an affront to your teacher.

Perhaps, by doing less with you, he is making an effort to get more result. In the Taoist vein of thought that is common among kung fu teachers, less is more, and where constant correction and attention to students will produce a dead statue in the master's own image, as a contrast doing less with students and allowing them to learn the art on their own will allow them to develop into masters in their own right.

Of course, if your goals and those of your teacher differ, you have every right to be concerned and take some action. What's the point of knowing you're doing something wrong and then blaming him for not correcting you? Correct yourself, make it obvious you're interested in learning. If you're not comfortable teaching the class, maybe he's setting the bar high in the hopes that you'll step up to it. Try to improve yourself before you ask him to improve his teaching, then go to him with your concerns if there's still a problem.
    "The morning glory blooms for an hour. It differs not at heart from the giant pine, which lives for a thousand years."

Posted On:
    5/07/2003 12:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's also a good bjj school in watertown.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2003 12:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mercurius, that is all well and good (and Chinese?) but it's a sucky way to learn and grow as a martial artist.

Wandering Daoist

Posted On:
    5/07/2003 4:26pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fighty, it's tradition. Tradition, that legacy of the past that got us this far, that we must also ourselves leave for the future, that we should not throw out on a whim because Sifu didn't teach us the touch of death on the first day.
    "The morning glory blooms for an hour. It differs not at heart from the giant pine, which lives for a thousand years."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2003 4:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some traditions are good. Others are crap. Why hold on to a crap log?

Wandering Daoist

Posted On:
    5/07/2003 10:43pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ask the Wing Chun people if they teach like Yip Man taught, only doing chi sau with their favorite students, leaving the class exclusively to seniors, and being generally indifferent towards the students they didn't like. Most likely they'll say otherwise, but if they didn't have Yip Man's instruction, they wouldn't be as great as they are now.

Once our friend here becomes a master, he can teach the class as he sees fit, correcting mistakes every time they occur and adapting the art to NHB and whatnot. Maybe this will be for the worse, maybe for the better, who knows? You can take what your teacher gives you and recite it back to him in rote (and the art will stagnate) or you can give it new life with your own interpretation (and the art will develop).

Also, on self-defense... Quit bullshitting and get a gun. If you can't get a gun, get a knife, can't get a knife, get a baton, and so on down until you've reached the most effective concealed weapon you are legally allowed to carry. If you want to fight someone, go ahead and use your martial art. If you want to survive against him, shoot him in the stomach and run like hell.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast