Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2003 12:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well thanks for the advice JKDchick. I'll look around and I'll check out those links Fighty McGee. If anyone else has anything else to add, please feel free.

Working my way back to health

Posted On:
    5/06/2003 12:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Injury magnet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you talked to your Sifu about your concerns?
    If after you talk to him about your concerns and ask his reasons if you are not then satisfied leave.
    You should atleast give him a chance to explain.
    If he can.

"My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right."
    Ashleigh Brilliant

Posted On:
    5/06/2003 2:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boston Wing Tsun - 617-214-7400

Might be good, but I can't say for sure since I have not personally worked out there. Watch a class and ask the instructor about sparring and bring up your other concerns.

You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hindlegs but if you get a group of men together you can create a herd of sheep.

AKAKTK

Posted On:
    5/06/2003 2:37pm

Style: Liu Seong Gung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LEAVE.

"Now why would you just stand there and watch him do that!?"
    -teacher

Posted On:
    5/06/2003 2:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you still want to do kung fu? I'm leaving here for the summer, but if you want to learn from me I'd be happy to teach you. I teach kung fu san soo here at brandeis university in waltham, ma. Brandeis is on the commuter rail(fitchburg line).

If you want to abandon Kung Fu, I would suggest Learning Aikido from Kanai Sensei. I can personally vouch for his teaching ability.

Address: 2000 Massachussets Avenue; Cambridge, MA 02140 (Map)
    Instructors: Mitsunari Kanai, 8th dan
    Phone: (617) 661-1959
    Schedule: M-F 5:30pm; MTuWF 6:45pm; TuTh 12pm; MWF 7am; Sa 1pm; Su 10am
    URL: http://www.neaikikai.org/home.html
    Style: Aikikai
    Affiliation: USAF
    -------------
    Here's the website for another school you might want to look into:

http://www.channel1.com/users/wahlum/curriculum.html

----------------
    I also know of a private school, but you'll have to pm me for that information...

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    5/06/2003 3:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree that you have to do some examination into why your school is why it is, and if you really want the answers you should just sack up and ask your instructor.

One possible situation is that your instructor sees some potential inside of you that he doesn’t know how to properly focus. My instructor used to be pretty tough on me, almost to the point where he was a like a disappointed father figure I felt I could never get the approval of and ended up basically hating his guts.

My instructor feels there are basically only two types of students, the few who have the mental discipline and physical ability to provide the “momentum” necessary for their own training, and the students that are like cattle and are never going to get anywhere unless you hold their hand.

In the past, he would take students that were somewhere in the middle and mentally and physically beat them up until they either made it over the hump and took control of their own training, or cracked under the pressure and quit.

Now he is a lot more laid back, and leaves it up to the individual on what type of student they want to be. He has been disappointed too many times trying to harness something inside of students that wasn’t really there, the only one that was getting any better was himself. I don’t want to make sound like his is overly jaded or cynical, but he realizes he has to be efficient with his time and effort. He provides a good product, and all the tools are there, but he isn’t going to force anyone to use them.

Both types of students provide a purpose. The serious few provide the satisfaction of teaching success and a job well done, and the cattle provide the money that allows it all to happen.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2003 3:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Punisher I have a feeling my teacher is somewhere along those lines that you mentioned. To tell you the truth I'm not even sure on how I should be training on my own when I'm not in class. Oh well, I'm sort of in limbo at the moment and can't seem to decide on a course of action. I'm sure I'll get what I need eventually one way or the other. Or, the alternative is to spend 5 to 10 years studying an art and not even knowing how to fight. I will be doing some serious self-examination over the next few months.

Posted On:
    5/06/2003 3:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Masta: do you actually live in boston, or in one of the suburbs?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2003 3:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, Brand thanks for the offer but I need some more time to think. Maybe we could do some friendly-spar sometime in the future?

Fighty, I've heard a lot of bad things about that Yang place. He seems more interested in selling his books and videos than running his school. The other I'm not sure about. I will look into all.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2003 3:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, Brand I do live in a Boston suburb. A few miles outside of the city.

Edited by - mastawannab on May 06 2003 15:52:07
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast