Safe For Work

Posted On:
    3/10/2006 4:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mantis
    Looks like a made up system out of who knows what that they called "Shaolin Tiger System"
    I learned a set from Shantung (sp?) Black Tiger, but I don't know how legitimate it is, or even if it's a real style (or even somehow related to "Shaolin Tiger Kung Fu"), but it was similar enough to the Southern Shaolin tiger set I was learning at the time as well.

I actually preferred the Shantung set, because of the difficulty of some of the moves and transitions. It was more difficult to do, and required a bit more strength. But when the guy told me I had to switch to an almost all red meat diet to truly unleash the potential of the style, I had to second guess the "potential". Of course that's what he was told, and didn't really expect me to do the same.
    Jaguar's MMA record
    pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
    post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
    - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    3/10/2006 5:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tiger animal has definate identifiable charactistics, and is attributed to "Shaolin"

The fact that you recognized similarity in the movement is probably a good sign.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    3/10/2006 9:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mantis
    Only one - Down in Atlanta. The one in NYC is teaching??? who knows? Supposedly he only has 6 months of training under Jeng Hsing Peng.
    there's one guy who teaches shuai jiao out of my school, frank gomez:

http://www.shuaijiao.net/history.html

he is very good. i haven't been able to take his class often enough.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/10/2006 9:51pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar Wong
    I learned a set from Shantung (sp?) Black Tiger, but I don't know how legitimate it is, or even if it's a real style (or even somehow related to "Shaolin Tiger Kung Fu"), but it was similar enough to the Southern Shaolin tiger set I was learning at the time as well.

I actually preferred the Shantung set, because of the difficulty of some of the moves and transitions. It was more difficult to do, and required a bit more strength. But when the guy told me I had to switch to an almost all red meat diet to truly unleash the potential of the style, I had to second guess the "potential". Of course that's what he was told, and didn't really expect me to do the same.

Where did you learn this set if I may ask? PM me if you don't wan to type it in the thread.

Safe For Work

Posted On:
    3/11/2006 1:48pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake??
    Where did you learn this set if I may ask? PM me if you don't wan to type it in the thread.
    There was a guy that used to train at the same Kung Fu school as me. He used to teach Southern stuff in California, but started training with us to learn Northern Shaolin. I forget his last name, but we just called him Sifu Ross. A stocky fellow with a ponytail, but that was like 6 or 7 years ago.

Oh yeah, I forgot the set already as well. :( (I forgot a lot of stuff, but the muscle memory is still there).
    Jaguar's MMA record

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/11/2006 1:52pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well that is interesting. Do you know what group he was affiliated with?

The reason I ask is I know a Ross (if that was his first name) who was in my org. that trained in Cali then moved back to Denver.
    Shantung Black Tiger is rare I would love to compare My old BS to someone knowledgeable in the real art.

Safe For Work

Posted On:
    3/11/2006 4:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake??
    Well that is interesting. Do you know what group he was affiliated with?

The reason I ask is I know a Ross (if that was his first name) who was in my org. that trained in Cali then moved back to Denver.
    Shantung Black Tiger is rare I would love to compare My old BS to someone knowledgeable in the real art.
    I can ask around at my old kung fu school. I know he doesn't go to that school anymore, but I don't know if he moved away or if he just moved on. I'll try to find out, though.
    Jaguar's MMA record

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/12/2006 1:47am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Greatly appreciated.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2006 10:46am

Style: Hung Kuen, Jook Lum SPM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "The fact that you recognized similarity in the movement is probably a good sign."

Not if you learned the "Shantung Black Tiger Form" from the book. It just means that the guy is full of ****, and learned from the same book. Hak Fu Mun is Southern, and its lineage is verifiable. Fu Jow p'ai is Southern, and its origins are somewhat unknown, but well accepted in Chinese MA circles. Anyone who claims Shaolin Tiger, to me, is suspect. The fact that he claims to have studied with so many people might point to seminars, or worse-videos, rather than direct instruction.
    However, that being said, bottom line-can he walk the talk?
    caveat emptor
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12