1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    8/14/2006 3:31pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by odacon
    I've had a look around on fightgear and added a few to the list. I'm going to print them out and put it to a vote. I'll let you know how it pans out.
    Before you bother posting a vote make sure we are comparing similar items. In my opinion the first 2 headgear you posted are not even worth wearing compared to the fightgear stuff. Dipped foam is not appropriate for real head contact. It may protect you in point sparring and light contact tournaments but I wouldn't use it for full contact fighting. It just doesn't disperse shock the same way as multi layer multi density urethane.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    8/14/2006 3:33pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KhorneliusPraxx
    So you are the Aesopian of striking?

uh, I withdraw the question.
    No I'm the Paul Brenner of Strikeistan.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    8/14/2006 3:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unless you are training 2 on 1 situations...would that be a big concern?
    Hooks, haymakers.

Baracknophobic

Posted On:
    8/14/2006 3:46pm

supporting member
     Style: JackOAllTradesMasterONone

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought that at first but shouldn't you be focusing on their hips and shoulders and not so much on their hands.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    8/14/2006 4:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought that at first but shouldn't you be focusing on their hips and shoulders and not so much on their hands.
    I really don't know.

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    8/14/2006 8:43pm

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Once again! Why do you feel the need for a head gear?

TKD

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    8/14/2006 10:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by odacon
    I'm trying to decide on headgear, I've narrowed it down to two, this one:

http://martialmart.com/hewica.html

or this one:

http://www.superfoots.com/turheadsparg.html

We're planning on full contact head and face punching so which one do you think will be best?
    Odacon, you really should be ashamed of yourself for this
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    8/14/2006 11:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TKD Black Belt
    Couple of thoughts here for you:

1.) Wearing a head gear IMO builds seriously bad habits. We had to wear them in TKD at some levels of competition but we never wore them in training. Gets you in the habit of keeping your head out of the way. Seriously some of the most brutal KOs I've ever seen came right after someone who practiced with a head gear fought their first tournament without one. Keep in mind too that an MMA glove is a lot less forgiving than other types of gloves
    what the **** do mma gloves have to do with anything >_<

your first point makes no sense. it still hurts to get smacked in the face when you are wearing headgear. you still move your head to avoid this. i dont know or care about your shitty tip tap tkd tournaments and what kind of headgear people used to train for that but in my experience of using GOOD QUALITY headgear, and not wearing headgear at all, you are wrong. I personally prefer not to use it myself but I dont have a job where i have to worry about getting marked up.

best thing to protect your head is a good set of training partners. If you're getting beat up all the time and you can't trust these guys to not drop bombs then you need to seriously decide if you want to stay with that gym. I'm getting ready for a fight right now and as a consultant I can't afford to have a bruised up face. My training partners are aware of this. After training with the same guys for my last few MMA fights I can safely say you don't need to practice getting hit in the face as part of your training.

Hope that helps.

TKD
    again you bring up MMA, as if its relevant. hes doing karate and im assuming that his sparring consists of stand up mostly (or exclusively)

you dont need to be hitting hard to get wear and tear on your face without headgear. a single kick to the face can leave you with a nice shiner if you havent got anything between your eyesocket and their leg. this is obviously the primary concern here and id recommend either that headgear whiteshark posted or some twins headgear with the cheekguards. ive been walloped in the face pretty hard while wearing that and come out the other end with my brad pitt-like mug still intact.

those space helmets you posted are fucking ridiculous, do not use those. when you look like an idiot you fight worse, trust me. its a fact.

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    8/15/2006 7:34pm

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

IMO = In My Opinion =-=-=-= IMO =/= Statement of Fact

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    what the **** do mma gloves have to do with anything >_<
    - Cause this is what I currently base things off of. So that would be a declared bias. Something that doesn't seem to happen a lot on forums these days.

your first point makes no sense. it still hurts to get smacked in the face when you are wearing headgear. you still move your head to avoid this.
    - Yes but you're moving your head in a head gear. I'm going off of a lot of years of personal experience and this is just my opinion.

i dont know or care about your shitty tip tap tkd tournaments and what kind of headgear people used to train for that but in my experience of using GOOD QUALITY headgear, and not wearing headgear at all, you are wrong.
    - This is an opinion and not a statement of fact. I also have ring time in MT and NA KB and have seen a lot of people have problems transferring from head gear in practice to no head gear in the ring. When there isn't a lot of room to move (like in a corner) knowing where you can and can't put your head is a pretty important thing to know.

again you bring up MMA, as if its relevant. hes doing karate and im assuming that his sparring consists of stand up mostly (or exclusively)
    - Regardless, my point was around the outcome of the training not so much the training itself. If you compete without a head gear then I suggest not practicing with one. Again I use MMA as a point of reference and as a way of explaining where my view point comes from.

you dont need to be hitting hard to get wear and tear on your face without headgear. a single kick to the face can leave you with a nice shiner if you havent got anything between your eyesocket and their leg. this is obviously the primary concern here and id recommend either that headgear whiteshark posted or some twins headgear with the cheekguards. ive been walloped in the face pretty hard while wearing that and come out the other end with my brad pitt-like mug still intact.
    - Again, make sure your training partners know what they're doing. Getting into the ring or on the mat and flailing away at someone without control is not what I look for in a training partner. The group I train with is very good at making sure you know when you're open to a head shot without actually taking your head off. The only time I've been hit unexpectedly was the last time we invited someone new to come train with us. That was both the first and last time he was allowed to train with us for quite a while.

But again this is just my opinion. And as you put it the opinion of someone who does tippy tap Taekwon-Do shouldn't be taken seriously.

TKD:karated: (look even the dancer is wearing a head gear)
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 34567 89101117 ... LastLast