Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    12/23/2006 8:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist
    that headgear is very nice, but i don't like the lack of chin protection very much... babo78 had one at the last couple of nyc throwdowns and he was complaining that it moves around a lot as well.

it's tough to get a decent price on headgear, i ended up buying them from a local muay thai coach i know who had them made to his specs in pakistan. i can manage to sell them in my school for $50 and they are full face, quality headgear, but i only make a couple bucks each, so the price isn't that great.

you might want to talk with the guys at honda martial arts supply in nyc http://www.hondamartialarts.com i know they carry a lot of different stuff and can even get custom stuff made.

fairtex makes really nice headgear, and i'm not sure if they have a wholesaler program, but theirs are very expensive, you might as well just make your students order their own fight gear ones.
    Thanks for the input. Honda had a budget Everlast model that might do the trick, but it only comes in bright red.

I'm not too concerned with the lack of chin protection, we don't go hard enough for that to matter most of the time. Anything is better than that foam dipped crap we used to use.

I've had issues with the Fightgear Bomber moving around as well, but once I found the right setting to for the chin strap and I just left it and put the headgear on using the velco on the back.
    Last edited by Punisher; 12/23/2006 8:12pm at .

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    12/23/2006 8:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceDoff
    Good to see you posting again Punisher. Please note the new forum descriptions as you peruse about.
    I was debating where to put this. We don't have a training gear and equipment forum any more. So it was up to Strikeistan and General Discussion. I chose poorly.
    Last edited by Punisher; 12/23/2006 8:13pm at .

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    12/23/2006 8:12pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Askari
    I like the product from Top Ten. www.toptencanada.com

You can wear it for grappling and takedowns as well and it doesnt move around on the head.
    Looked like this would work, if it wasn't over $100 american. Unless they are willng to sell it to me for $40 including shipping and handling, I don't think it will work for me.

Thanks anyway.
    Last edited by Punisher; 12/23/2006 9:30pm at .

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    12/23/2006 9:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor X
    Or simply be very honest and state that this is the best you could find, and you are not making a dime on it.

Somethings like parachutes and condoms, you do not want cheap generics. . . .

--J.D.
    You can always just go get an abortion, but you can't get un-punched. Come on now.
    Last edited by feedback; 12/23/2006 9:22pm at .
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    12/23/2006 9:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quick update.

Right before I started this thread I sent another email to Fightgear as how I could become a distributor.

I just checked my email and was shocked to see they actually replied back.

My hopes were dashed when I opened the email and saw it was simply an automatic response stating they'd be unavailable for the holidays.

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    1/13/2007 1:30am

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I need some new headgear for sparring in class and with my buddies. I'd like something with some cheek protection as my dodging sucks and I get clocked in the eye socket and thereabouts a lot. Right now I'm leaning for the KO fightgear onehttp://www.kofightgear.com/headgear.htm.

Basically I want a good, durable helmet that will actually offer some protection from cuts and broken whatsits, especially from straight punches (my idea of "slipping a jab" is to step on a banana peel and end up getting jabbed in the nose). If anyone has some suggestions, lay 'em on! Cost and shipping are factors, but not HUGE ones.
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

Posted On:
    2/18/2007 4:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lol looking back at my options for headgear.... :icon_redf :icon_redf :icon_redf

Anywho, go with this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/BLACK-HEAD-PROTE...QQcmdZViewItem

I just wish they had it in white, to go with my gloves and shinguards....

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    4/05/2007 3:08pm

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Time to revive this thread.
    So, I got myself and my friend these beauties by Fightgear:
    and

This one, with velcro-fixed removable metal cage does wonders for the weapons (rubber knives so far) training. You still can't poke the eye though... ;-)

The headgear fits well and doesn't move around much during sparring.

P.S.
    I was apparently the first person in Bratislava, Slovakia to receive these via post - the customs officers were quite amusing as they tried to figure out what these things are, what they are used for and what friggin' customs cathegory they should be put into... 4 different people came to me to ask me what exactly am I going to use the headgear for. Finally they decided on the lowest possible customs payment, still had to pay 19% VAT though, which sucks...

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2008 12:01pm

Style: BJJ / freestyle wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    for grappling, any of these will do?

http://www.combatsports.com/SearchRe...ategoryID=2555

recommendations?

also, anyone have experiences in the past with combatsports.com?

nuthin' ta f*ck with

Posted On:
    6/27/2008 12:10pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/SUB GRAPPLING

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For grappling you use your regular skin.