C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    10/30/2006 6:17pm

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KhorneliusPraxx
    I bought this kind...I figured that it would be good for my MMA training because I am so squeemish about getting punched on the ground. I took it to class and EVERYONE replied, "I'm not going to hit that." Failed for my needs so I will try to return it for something else.
    Failed for your needs? They refused to hit so you didn't get hit, or?
    No, seriously, why is hitting the cage with gloves a problem?
    Tonuzaba

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    10/30/2006 6:22pm

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    dont train using a cage on your face, it is too unrealistic. i would have thought you above all people would have been against that tonzu
    Hello Alex.
    Thanx for your reply, I'm just not sure about the percentage of sarcasm in either of your sentences.
    First of all a solid fist/elbow hit on the cage makes up a good feeling even through the cage.
    Secondly I think there should be a difference between keeping training real and getting your face mashed up every time you do full contact sparring. I, for one, feel the need for making this difference. Maybe because I still didn't part from my - though a bit displaced - nose cartillage...
    Do you only use the front-open boxing headgear you have on your video?

Tonuzaba

Posted On:
    10/30/2006 6:31pm

Style: bee jay jay

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    10/30/2006 6:33pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First of all a solid fist/elbow hit on the cage makes up a good feeling even through the cage.
    Secondly I think there should be a difference between keeping training real and getting your face mashed up every time you do full contact sparring. I, for one, feel the need for making this difference. Maybe because I still didn't part from my - though a bit displaced - nose cartillage...
    Ok, "every time you do full contact?" Unless you're training for something coming up, full contact isn't something done that often. And if it is done, it's done for a reason - to expose you to what it's like to fight with full intensity and receive blows as such. Otherwise, you and your opponent tone down the intensity, akin to rolling in BJJ (though in grappling, you can go higher intensity most of the time). As someone said here, it's not like you're rolling like you're in the final round of a tournament, and you're trying to score points.

I come from a school that never used headcages for sparring for either boxing or kickboxing. There's something to be said about the nosebleed smell/feel if you get socked right in the nose as compared to your whole head lolling back with no damage to your face. Hell, in amateur competition, the headgears you wear can't have cheek pads, chin pads, or anything; your whole face is exposed.

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    10/30/2006 6:34pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by youtube

Hahahahahahaha! That looks like a mix between a black Jason and the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    10/31/2006 10:17am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonuzaba
    I always wondered: is that bar (the part under the eye gap) in contact with the nose in this type of headgear? That would sound like broken nose everytime, so I guess it isn't so. But where does it make contact with the head then?

Tonuzaba
    I've seen that kind before and hit people wearing it. The bar doesn't touch your nose. The fit of the headgear is what keeps it from collapsing into your face. Also, the bar is much more firm than you may be imagining.

I agree with Kornholius' classmates I wouldn't hit a hard cage with MMA gloves either. I value my hands more than your face. If you are really squimish about face contact in a NON-Weapon environment get the face saver headgear with the bar.

I still believe that the removeable cage is best for crossover use and you need to get new training partners or new testicles if you are unwilling to spar in normal boxing headgear.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    10/31/2006 10:26am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KhorneliusPraxx
    I bought this kind...I figured that it would be good for my MMA training because I am so squeemish about getting punched on the ground. I took it to class and EVERYONE replied, "I'm not going to hit that." Failed for my needs so I will try to return it for something else.
    why not remove the cage, then. it's attached with velcro, right?

i ask because i am about to suggest this exact headgear to a student, who wants to be able to do stick work with it and then take off the cage for non-weapon sparring.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    10/31/2006 11:15am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by odacon
    Here's another good quality headgear:

http://www.ringside.com/detail.aspx?ID=25826

The first thing you think is "It doesn't protect the whole face!", but believe me unless your going for eye pokes you very unlikely to get hit through the gap.

While it does offer better protection, the field of view in this headgear is barely acceptable for boxing. With kicking allowed, forget about it. You're gonna get lit up by a good kicker because, below the bar, you can't see for ****.

Unless you have a nose worth protecting or a healing injury, this headgear should be avoided. Still, this headgear can psychologically convince a reluctant practitioner to get in and mix it up without fear. This could be a plus for some people.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Baracknophobic

Posted On:
    10/31/2006 11:22am

supporting member
     Style: JackOAllTradesMasterONone

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist
    why not remove the cage, then. it's attached with velcro, right?
    I have no use for the cage...so i might as well exchange it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist
    i ask because i am about to suggest this exact headgear to a student, who wants to be able to do stick work with it and then take off the cage for non-weapon sparring.
    That is exactly what my instructor said..."this would be great for stick fighting"

If I did FMA...I would keep it.
    Last edited by KhorneliusPraxx; 10/31/2006 11:25am at .

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    10/31/2006 3:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ugh... face cages...

I sparred wearing that headgear with the bar across the nose before, it was awful. I couldn't see for ****.

If you're not weapon sparring, ditch the cage and get a Blue Bomber. They're fairly cheap and you can just throw them in the washer to clean them. Personally, the only headgear I particularly like are these http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...CMZZZZZZZ_.jpg, but other people don't seem to like them for whatever reason.
    Last edited by Torakaka; 11/01/2006 9:04am at .
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 11121314 ... LastLast