Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2006 10:59am

Style: Isshin-ryu Karate-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZ
    I count myself fortunate to train at a club that is 'old school' where respect for tradition and hard work come first. The emphasis on 'belts' and 'ranks' in North America has contributed mightily to the watering down and babying of what were once hard styles.
    I know myself that I could never take lessons from somebody that I was not afraid of. Nor could I train for very long with people who are wimps.
    Old school training tends to produce solid fighters more often. Guys who wail away on each other with big gloves and headgear all the time can be pretty one dimensional.
    Look at a man's hands and it tells a story about the way he trains.
    Amen , Hooyah , and Hallelulah too. I especially like the part about the hands. Don't suppose you train with the makiwara ....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2006 11:16am

Style: Yang style Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find it amazing that people expect to train hard without it having any visible impact on their bodies. My hands and feet are pretty rough from training, and I expect that lots of people train harder than my Tai Chi loving ass...

Darren, I was afraid for a minute you were in Clinton, North Carolina, practically right next door. I didn't want to offend you and be the recipient of a old-school karate asswhuppin'.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2006 11:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cymro
    I find it amazing that people expect to train hard without it having any visible impact on their bodies. My hands and feet are pretty rough from training, and I expect that lots of people train harder than my Tai Chi loving ass...

Darren, I was afraid for a minute you were in Clinton, North Carolina, practically right next door. I didn't want to offend you and be the recipient of a old-school karate asswhuppin'.
    I am not easily offended, but I do like to "cut up" a bit.

I got into Tai Chi for awhile (about 10 or 12 years ago) trying to "augment" my Isshin-ryu training. I learned a Yang style long form and practiced it for several years. I can still remember a lot of it though I don't practice it anymore... which, by the way is kind of a shame, I enjoyed it and it did help me improve my understanding of movement and body mechanics in classical Okinawan kata.

Are you anywhere near Charlotte or Gastonia

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2006 12:06pm

Style: Yang style Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should really consider going back to Tai Chi, especially if you can find someone who teaches the applications. THe body mechanics are just amazing.

Cosmically, yes, I'm close to Charlotte. Due to a cruel trick of North Carolina geography, you just can't get there from here.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2006 12:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am having entirely to much fun exploring Isshin-ryu Karate right now to do anything else. But who knows what the future holds.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345