Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 2:06pm

Style: Isshin-ryu Karate-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cymro
    It's been interesting to me to watch this come full circle. TMA started as legitimate, practical fighting forms. They were designed to be used, and people trained hard to learn and prepare to apply their art to a real-world fight.
    Then, TMA's grew more and more, um, 'spiritual' in nature. Like my coworker, who will swear up and down that martial arts are about 'peace and centering', and have no violent side at all.
    Now with the rise of RBSD, MMA and UFC, we're back to martial arts as brutal, practial throwdown.
    Plus ca change...
    Some TMAs never quite swallowed the "peace and centering" crap and still train hard to understand their "practical fighting forms" and to "prepare to apply their art to a real-world fight."

I have been literally "knocked on my ass" too many time times to count by my instructor who was not wearing any "pads." And, I am here to tell you that it fuckin hurt like hell. People who don't get hit and then struggle to get back up on their feet will never be "invincible." They will be dead!

I cannot speak for, or defend, the so-called TMA pussies out there because I am saddened and ashamed by what they have done to karate. However, too many on here seem to readily assume all karate schools are the same. And, you know what they say about assumptions.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 2:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyS
    I started TKD in 1985 and we trained hard without safety equipment. If you dropped your hands you got punched in the face. There were a few times when people had to get taken to hospital for dropping their hands when facing the instructor in sparring. After getting my black belt in TKD I then went to Okinawan Goju-ryu and it was very old school and hard. My first night I got a kick in the balls and bleeding mouth from the instructor. The next night I went back and during sparring kicked him in the face and loosed his tooth and we've been good friends ever since.
    We were sharing space with a Karate instructor who was originally from NYC. I believe he was either Goju or Uechi Ryu. He would often tell "good 'ole day" stories. One of his stories involved a local gang in the Bronx busting in on a Black Belt Class at his school and challenging all the black belts to fight. Long story short the black belts came out on top and "earned the respect" of the gang, who never bothered them again. True? Bullshit? who knows..........

from this type of outside challenge, to inter school challenges and the Gracie "like" challenges, are challenges still common or do they even occur now-a-days?

On occasion we have had groups of two of three people, usually male between the ages of 17 and 25, come in and want to roll just to see what the "big deal" is with all this "jujitsu crap". By the end of the session I would say 99.9% of the time they learn. Not really an old school gang or Gracie challenge but sort of similar.

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 6:18pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugeisha
    That's hilarious. When I was in Japan, I commented to a friend back here that they put corn on their pizza. His response was a scornful "Corn is not food for a warrior."
    Well . . . it really is not . . . corn on pizza? Sick!

Anyways, when I told this story on ANOTHER BOARD [Boo. Hiss.--Ed.] a guy who teaches in Japan stated that the Japanese use "he is a samurai" with the same level of sarcasm.

Which reminds me of another story . . . from a Uechi practitioner from "back in the day" when they like were warriors and stuff.

They had an "open dojo" policy partly to get people to train. They had two Japanese students who were in college methinks who studied a different style. Anyways, a Japanese man walked in with his "butt boy"--to use the teller's words--a student from MIT who translated. "HE IS A YONDAN!" he proclaimed.

"Yondan?" thought the students. "What is that? Teacher is a ni-something."

Long story short the guy threw his arrogant weight around. Well, the Uechi guy was young and into nunchucks--"we all had nunchucks . . . and black gis!" The YONDAN [!--Ed.] wanders over and demands--through translating butt-boy--that YONDAN [!--Ed.] will show him how to do it right!

Can you guess what happens next? YONDAN [!--Ed.] swings them and promptly hits himself in the back of his head and knocks himself out. Of course, everyone starts laughing at him, and translator butt-boy runs about frantically shouting:

"You must NOT laugh at him! He is a YONDAN!"

Which . . . of course . . . has entered into popular vernacular: "You must not laugh at me! I am a ___dan/kyu!!"

[ZZzZZZzzzzzZZZZZ--Ed.]

Sad stories aside, the "point" is "means testing." I often tell people I have an "invincible kick" that, for some reason, is not so "invincible" on the floor. I blame my opponents. . . . If only they defended correctly. . . .

They "pussyfied" approach reinforces such mistakes. Crappling, unrealistic attacks and defenses, "death touches," reinforces the belief one is actually learning a martial art. Then creeps in the stupid enobling of weakness: "We teach how to 'control conflict'/'stop the aggressor before he . . . he . . . aggresses!'"

People believe this. They want to believe this.

--J.D.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 6:20pm

Style: Yang style Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Darren-San: I did not mean to imply or suggest that ALL TMA schools had fallen into that particular trap. Instead I was trying to describe the mainstream trends and popular understanding of Martial Arts in general.

I've been lucky enough to train with some very dedicated TMA practitioners who work hard to keep their art alive and viable in the modern world. It's good to know that their are others out there.

Now seriously, which Clinton are you in?

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 6:52pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chelsea?

BWA!HA!HA!HA!H!Ha!Ha!ha!ha . . . ha?

Storms off decrying the lack of appreciation of fine wit. . . .

Darren-San: I did not mean to imply or suggest that ALL TMA schools had fallen into that particular trap. Instead I was trying to describe the mainstream trends and popular understanding of Martial Arts in general.
    You are absolutely correct. I think part of the problem--if not one of the main problems--has been popularity and mythology. Popularity in that all sorts of people want to learn for different reasons "how to fight." Mythology in that people think there is some "secret" to learn. Put the two together . . . and you have Aikido [Stop that!--Ed.] . . . okay . . . you have people believing they can step into a dojo and learn "secrets" and dojos willing to do sell this.

--J.D.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 6:59pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now with the rise of RBSD, MMA and UFC, we're back to martial arts as brutal, practial throwdown.
    Plus ca change...
    I wouldn't go that far TMA/MA hasn't come full circle.

What you listed above is sport.

TMA have divested themselves from this as much as possible.

Even though the above is much more reliable training and the way TMA used to be in the "good old days".

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 8:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I count myself fortunate to train at a club that is 'old school' where respect for tradition and hard work come first. The emphasis on 'belts' and 'ranks' in North America has contributed mightily to the watering down and babying of what were once hard styles.
    I know myself that I could never take lessons from somebody that I was not afraid of. Nor could I train for very long with people who are wimps.
    Old school training tends to produce solid fighters more often. Guys who wail away on each other with big gloves and headgear all the time can be pretty one dimensional.
    Look at a man's hands and it tells a story about the way he trains.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 9:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren San
    And, you know what they say about assumptions.
    They're always correct?
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2006 10:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi there Boyd

Hows it going?

I've only been in Isshin-Ryu for just over a year, and most everyone I've met seemed like down-to-earth, knowledgable people, so I was pretty shocked to find out it's a borderline McDojo art. Yeah, there's a lot of great stuff in Isshin-Ryu, but like any art, it's all in who teaches you. I was lucky enough to attend a few Sherman Harrill seminars, and my world was sufficiently rocked.

I'll admit that I know next to nothing about other Karate styles, but judging on videos and miscellaneous things I've read, Isshin-Ryu is one of the more practical styles (done correctly, of course). Stances are narrow, kicks are low, techniques are relaxed, punches snap back. One of the main principles is natural body movement; nothing 'too karate', I guess.

Sound familiar?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2006 10:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I've been lucky enough to train with some very dedicated TMA practitioners who work hard to keep their art alive and viable in the modern world. It's good to know that their are others out there.

Clinton, Tennessee
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast