Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/23/2006 7:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started TKD in 1985 and we trained hard without safety equipment. If you dropped your hands you got punched in the face. There were a few times when people had to get taken to hospital for dropping their hands when facing the instructor in sparring. After getting my black belt in TKD I then went to Okinawan Goju-ryu and it was very old school and hard. My first night I got a kick in the balls and bleeding mouth from the instructor. The next night I went back and during sparring kicked him in the face and loosed his tooth and we've been good friends ever since.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/23/2006 7:46pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyS
    I started TKD in 1985 and we trained hard without safety equipment. If you dropped your hands you got punched in the face. There were a few times when people had to get taken to hospital for dropping their hands when facing the instructor in sparring. After getting my black belt in TKD I then went to Okinawan Goju-ryu and it was very old school and hard. My first night I got a kick in the balls and bleeding mouth from the instructor. The next night I went back and during sparring kicked him in the face and loosed his tooth and we've been good friends ever since.
    Ahhh the good old days, when instructors weren't to deadly to spar and bleeding/bruises were a badge of honor.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2006 9:52pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My welcome-back present from my instructor when I returned from my semester in Japan was a broken nose.

Edit: That said, it's our kiddie program that pays the rent.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2006 10:50pm

Style: Beating Children

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe it is best put: "If you are training to learn how to fight, then you must fight in order to learn."
    That aside the good old days people were much tougher and could fall from 90ft heights and still be in good enough condition to be dancing the jigg later that evening. But seriously, back in the day people were a lot stronger cause life was harder and you could hit children if they misbehaved in class. That was the mentality of the day. Now everybody is like, "Don't hurt my baby, he's fragile." and "I'm gonna sue!" wussies the whole lot of 'em. If I don't have a busted lip or a least a few bruises after Judo/Jujutsu it must have been a really light day.
    Last edited by Hatsumauru; 3/23/2006 10:53pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2006 10:50pm

Style: Xing yi-iron hand-shaolin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TKD as a whole is that way, use to not be *****, but now it is. Too many fukin priks sueing because their little johnny got hurt while he was getting a confidence boost. P:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2006 11:02pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Karate moms will never be able to answer the question:
    "How Do Kote Gitae?"

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 3:05am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Indeed.

Some of the Okinawan styles have forms of conditioning--kote kitae--which simply involve pouding one another. Anyways, I was at a big seminar a few years back and an asshole shows up with students. They were "t3h d34dly str33t fighters" yet got winded just with warm-ups. During condition--arm and leg pounding--one of the fatter of them got "offended."

"A WARRIOR wouldn't just let himself get hit!" he screamed.

"Warrior?" That is one of the most hated words in my vocabulary--unless you are in the military--like some of the posters HERE--you are not a "warrior." You are, at best, a "wannabe." Excuse me while I find my camoflage gi.

"You are a fucking car mechanic! Shut up!" he was advised.

However, the incident has led to a long-running gag amongst my teachers. It is the response to any request: "A WARRIOR wouldn't flush the toilet!"

I am beginning to think people believe they will walk into a dojo, learn to be invincible, but somehow, someway NEVER GET HIT.

--J.D.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 8:24am

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor X
    Indeed.

Some of the Okinawan styles have forms of conditioning--kote kitae--which simply involve pouding one another. Anyways, I was at a big seminar a few years back and an asshole shows up with students. They were "t3h d34dly str33t fighters" yet got winded just with warm-ups. During condition--arm and leg pounding--one of the fatter of them got "offended."

"A WARRIOR wouldn't just let himself get hit!" he screamed.

"Warrior?" That is one of the most hated words in my vocabulary--unless you are in the military--like some of the posters HERE--you are not a "warrior." You are, at best, a "wannabe." Excuse me while I find my camoflage gi.

"You are a fucking car mechanic! Shut up!" he was advised.

However, the incident has led to a long-running gag amongst my teachers. It is the response to any request: "A WARRIOR wouldn't flush the toilet!"

I am beginning to think people believe they will walk into a dojo, learn to be invincible, but somehow, someway NEVER GET HIT.

--J.D.

That's hilarious. When I was in Japan, I commented to a friend back here that they put corn on their pizza. His response was a scornful "Corn is not food for a warrior."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 8:41am

Style: Yang style Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's been interesting to me to watch this come full circle. TMA started as legitimate, practical fighting forms. They were designed to be used, and people trained hard to learn and prepare to apply their art to a real-world fight.
    Then, TMA's grew more and more, um, 'spiritual' in nature. Like my coworker, who will swear up and down that martial arts are about 'peace and centering', and have no violent side at all.
    Now with the rise of RBSD, MMA and UFC, we're back to martial arts as brutal, practial throwdown.
    Plus ca change...

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 9:31am

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    During my last few months of TKD training regularily I was attending a board meeting for the provincial board. They would nominate a team member to sit on the panel to represent the athletes (we had changed the language to acknowledge that 'fighters' were actually athletes in regards to the whole organization keep in mind this was in 1997).

One of the people who sat on the board as a member of the parent's comity had tabled a proposal that would have the teams selected on an additional criteria "FUND RAISING". She felt that the 'trips' as she saw them should be the bonuses given to the kids who could raise the most money or contribute the most.

I remember being so annoyed at the concept of giving provincial team consideration to someone who doesn't have the physical skill but could bank roll their way in. I shortly resigned my seat and have stepped out of that scene altogether.

TKD
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast