Sponsored Links Spacer Image

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    3/12/2006 4:31pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TKD,
    I'll have you know it is a Ki-mura (or Chi-mura 'cause of the no touch set up for the technique) you plebian.

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    3/12/2006 4:35pm

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Askari! Do you also do Chinese Jiu Jitsu? ;)

TKD

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    3/12/2006 6:00pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think a lot of the then vs now stuff has to do with shopper's expectations. People training "in the day" were usually in the military or fighters - the hobby martial arts explosion in the 80s and the karaterobics trends in the 90s caused an influx of people that diluted their own training because they want to leave a school mostly ambulatory with no marks on their faces.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Posted On:
    3/12/2006 7:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    its pretty much that you cant do that in the U.S.A i think

Posted On:
    3/12/2006 7:46pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've had a teacher hit me for misbehaving before. Long time ago.

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    3/12/2006 7:56pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenJonas
    Hearing this from my kenpo instructor was no surprise and I figured it was just the school, because a friend of mine was studying Uechi Ryu at the same time and was doing knuckle push-ups with wooden dowels between his knuckles.
    Interesting . . . one of the Grand Poohbahs of Uechi has spoken for years against this idiocy.

I was about to launch on a long-winded exposition on the subject; however, I think it all boils down to expectations and popularity. With popularity comes simplification and concentration on exercises "everyone" can do--like forms. There is less individual training and less "playing" with techniques--free sparing. That does not mean TMA did not and does not have that--it is just it use to be "it" back in the day, and now there are more considerations.

With expectation, consider boxing. Does anyone expect to go into a boxing gym and not get hit? Perhaps their is "magical" boxing gyms where people punch past one another . . . my point is "back in the day" US servicemen who found dojos in Okinawa expected to fight. That is what they wanted.

People have different and often unrealistic expectations as many threads have expounded. Add in the need for teachers to feed themselves, and voila! Even Okinawans have "kids classes"--someone has to help pay the rent.

Currently, I think most who walk into a BJJ-type dojo expect to . . . well . . . grapple! They will hit the mat! They know they will hit the mat. You can pull punches, you can do worthless kicks, it is hard to "pull" a throw . . . though Aikido tries. "Crappling" may be to the various JJs what "krotty" is to traditional karate today in a few years.

I would certainly agree with litigiousness in the US contributing. I am not a grappler . . . or even a crappler . . . so I am unfamiliar with the insurance requirements for BJJ, Judo, and others--perhaps someone can comment. It may be easier because the on thing that crops up in policies is whether or not students will spar. If they spar, policies demand ultra protection.

I see I am ranting so I will stop there. . . .

--J.D.

Posted On:
    3/12/2006 9:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my teacher will use a bamboo stick to wack us in the hands if are hands are down while we are sparring in tkd

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/23/2006 2:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Shi Dist
    What the **** is JuiJitsu?
    Crappy typing....will fix to avoid further easy flaming.........

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    3/23/2006 3:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ya know I'm not claiming to be some badass, but my Instructor always hit me and my classmates if we were dicking around or weren't paying attention. Only one of us was ever hospitalized during a demonstration, and that's because the guy was an idiot who kept telling my instructor that the move wouldn't work. And to think we got away with this stuff in the state of NY, the biggest liability worried and sue-happy place in the nation. But hey this was all back in the day when we USED to train hard ;) heh

Posted On:
    3/23/2006 7:10pm

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey the old school guys must be pretty hardcore. I mean they did melt babies right?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast