Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    3/13/2006 2:07am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cap teaches a kind of movement that is totally unlike anything you'll see in a fight (although I hear silat has similar footwork). Sometimes when im just playing around ill start to ginga when sparring ppl. Confuses the **** out of them! It's an interesting way to move, one that has a lot of advantages that are overlooked. It's hard to read someone moving like that.

Those fights (sparring) were pretty awesome actually. super fast and intense. But not actual fighting. In a real cap fight, there are take downs. Oldschool cap was more about takedowns than kicks. The kicks really only came into focus in the early 1900's.

If I ever get to brazil I'm gonna find some good cap guy and watch him go fight and tape it :D

Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/13/2006 8:07am

supporting member
     Style: Capoeira

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm with samba de roda. Tried Bantus but it was a pain in arse to get into the CBD to train there.
    I'm not drowning my sorrows, I'm preserving them in alcohol.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/14/2006 1:50am

Style: Capoeira

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My mestres group is just down the street from the Bantu headquarter in Brasil, and i think that M. Pintor was also originally from Grupo Ginga.
    Last time i was there, there were a visitor from the group and he seemed to have a really good base in capoeira, so based on that and what i have heard i think Bantus is a really good group to train with.

As for all the comments, i think its important to remember that capoeira is an open art, for children, men, women and old people.
    A lot of these people would loose their space in capoeira if it were turned into a full contact only thing.
    That being said, i love me some jogo duro, and there should be room for the young guys to kick each others asses too.

I think one should do capoeira to learn capoeira, if the focus is only on fighting there are so many more specialized tools avalible.

Posted On:
    3/14/2006 3:46am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ based grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Capoeira is not the art of breakdancing, it is older than breakdancing and some of the ground work is similar but it is an insult to call it breakdancing, and no it is not meant to make you a good fighter but it sure can help your athleticism, and you learn how to dance, and play instruments, and chill with hot capoeira chicks who wear nothing but spaghetti tops

Take it if you can

Posted On:
    3/15/2006 9:32am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ based grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is a "game" more than anything in the circle and will not change it's ways much since it is so inclined into culure, A big part of Capoeira is the identity that is attached to the art, maybe even more than TMA's which have big American flags and fancy gi's

It is not meant to really teach you how to fight but it can come in handy here and there (awareness, quick thinking, acculturation, rythym, confidence, and being a kid again in a way)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2006 3:29am

Style: training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thank you very much for all your replies, though, many people who responded, believe that cap is not gonna be usefull if i wanted to learn how to fight,

i dont know, but i believe to be able to master Cap, you need ultimate flexibility, and when it comes to fighting, i believe that agility is very important, cap is something i m doing fot the sake of flexibility and agility, and also to develope strength,

also not to mention its very very gracefull, and can be usefull in other ways too. i thought this will be a stepping stone, before goin into stuff like Muay Thai or Akido.

some of the movies that inspired me to be agile is stuff like Ong Bak, Yamakasi, B13

this people have total leverage on their enemies, but i guess, gettin ideas from movies is very childish, so i hope someone can shed some light on this for me.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123