Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2006 11:46pm

Style: Thai Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ Experts, please help!

Hi there everyone, I have a small BJJ problem and I thought this was the best place to post it.

I've been training BJJ at a local gym for 6 months and training intensivly 3 times a week, 2 hours per class. I got really good and when fighting opponents with similar skill or less, I can easily dominate in terms of positioning, controlling and submitting and with those with more skill, I am told I have a very good defense. That being said, yesterday a guy that is a very rare comer to the gym comes and I ask him to roll with me seeing as how I didn't for a week and half. He has very little experience, maybe 2-3 classes and I grappled with him before, easily beating him over and over again. But yesterday, something happened.

We started rolling and I found myself on my back, him in my guard. Not a prob, I train often from that position. I try out a kimura but he pulls back his hand so I transform it into a guillotine, he pulls out his head. I say to myself, gee, something is up so I pull out the techniques that are a bit more advanced and I slap an armbar on him and out of nowhere, he starts stacking me and he ends up in side control! Point being said, he made me submit twice with Kimura and I made him submit 0 with him doing all the attacking and me never having an opportunity or having one but him defending quite well. One thing that happened was I had mount position and he was holding me around my back. I tried slipping in my hand to choke but he kept his chin down, I didn't know what to do so he bumped me off and applied that kimura.

What the hell happened to me? I come to you, experts of bullshido to help me. How can I become more aggresive, explain to me why I lost and tell me what I can do to better myself. Should I ask my teacher to show me more offensive moves? :5help:!

Sorry if it's not the good forum :icon_redf

Posted On:
    3/09/2006 11:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My guess is that since you've only been training for 6 months you don't have enough experience and you've found yourself grappling someone who wasn't playing a game that suited you. It's too hard to point anything else out without actually watching the match.

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    3/10/2006 12:11am

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Train more grasshopper.

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    3/10/2006 12:29am

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Forget about it...

So you tapped? Big deal. Think about how this experience will improve your game and focus on how to improve your next training session.

Read these statements out loud and then think about them:

1. Leave your ego at the door.

2. On the mat in training there is no winning or loosing... just training

3. The "did you make him tap?" mentality is all ego based and gets old quick. Who cares! The key is that you were training hard with your mouth shut. Put emphasis on your own movement, stamina, skill, speed, strength and methodology. In wrestling practice nobody says "did you take him down?" or "did you earn points?". Of course you did..., you probably both did... it's practice!

4. Tapping speaks for itself; when your training and you get caught you tap. When you tap you learn. Now if training weren't about learning, then you could say it wasn't productive.

Now, go train zhoo zhits!

** Comments taken and modified from Machados and CSW Game Assessment.
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    3/10/2006 12:50am

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, I have trained consistently for a year and a half and I can still have trouble with guys that have much less experience. One example is big strong guys with awesome conditioning and some wrestling background. They always put me on my ass and try to trample over my guard, and hey.. sometimes they succeed in powering through a kimura if I get careless or I'm extremely tired. It happens. It's not fun, but hey, it's training. One of the things that sparring teaches you is letting go of your ego and accepting your losses and learning from them.
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2006 12:55am

Style: BJJ & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Elvis
    So you tapped? Big deal. Think about how this experience will improve your game and focus on how to improve your next training session.

Read these statements out loud and then think about them:

1. Leave your ego at the door.

2. On the mat in training there is no winning or loosing... just training

3. The "did you make him tap?" mentality is all ego based and gets old quick. Who cares! The key is that you were training hard with your mouth shut. Put emphasis on your own movement, stamina, skill, speed, strength and methodology. In wrestling practice nobody says "did you take him down?" or "did you earn points?". Of course you did..., you probably both did... it's practice!

4. Tapping speaks for itself; when your training and you get caught you tap. When you tap you learn. Now if training weren't about learning, then you could say it wasn't productive.

Now, go train zhoo zhits!

** Comments taken and modified from Machados and CSW Game Assessment.
    What he said.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    3/10/2006 1:27am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The guy is probably training elsewhere and upped his game with some unorthodox ****.

He is probably on a different message board right now saying, Damn! All that new **** totally rocked on other newbies! They didn't even see it coming! I couldn't really do anything against the old guys. But thanks a lot! It really helped!

...that or you had a bad day. It happens.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2006 3:18am

Style: Thai Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all the responses :)
    I never minded getting tapped by the pro's because I felt like I learned much from them (and I did) but Red Elvis' 4th point made me realize that by losing to a less experienced fighter, he shows me my weaknesses, those that pro's couldn't pinpoint (Because they make me submit with pretty much anything)

Thanks, I guess I was getting a bit too cocky and was inflaming my ego :)

Posted On:
    3/10/2006 4:41am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please die.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2006 5:59am

Style: Shutting up and training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg
    Please shut the **** up...
    I think we can make a compromise... yes?
    I *think* he was referring to the thread.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast