Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2006 6:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

ROK Marines and Tra Binh Dong battle

Its a very interesting and long read. It looks like they don't even buy the 1000 year old bs of TKD either.

http://www.mca-marines.org/Gazette/2005/05durand.html

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    3/09/2006 9:21pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very informative.

The inspiration of MCMAP in ROK TKD is well established. It's too bad WTF TKD didn't follow in the ROK Marine's footsteps.

And before anyone jumps me, I'm not saying ROK TKD is t3h r34l d34dly TKD. I already dealt with that in an earlier thread. ROK Marine TKD is hardcore...because they are fucking Marines in a country still at war, not because of significant differnces in their TKD.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2006 9:36pm

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have trained with some of those boys. No bullshido there.

ron

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2006 7:54am

Style: Judo, Xbox

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As with all martial arts the difference is in how hard you train. Those ROK Marines train HAAAAARD in everything they do. Interesting read.

Posted On:
    3/10/2006 10:16am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was never stationed in Korea, but every Marine I spoke to said the Rok Marines were the biggest Asians they've ever seen. They also said that Monday thru Friday they'd wake up and do rifle runs in their skivies and undershirts in the snow.

A sergeant of mine during MCT spoke about being stationed there. He mentioned how American Marines were superior on squad tactics for moving fire and MOUT, but that the ROK Marines smoked their asses in PT easily.

We are really lucky to have such a superb foreign section of our military over there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2006 10:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori
    I
    A sergeant of mine during MCT spoke about being stationed there. He mentioned how American Marines were superior on squad tactics for moving fire and MOUT, but that the ROK Marines smoked their asses in PT easily.

Hey, same here. I did MCT at Pendelton in April/May of 92. How about you?

Posted On:
    3/10/2006 1:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pendleton as well, though in 2000. Just a little bit after you :p I graduated Meritorious Mass as Squad Leader even though Physical Therapy from MRP failed to rehab my fractured shins. Standard boot camp is 13 weeks, but mine lasted about 6 months. I then had to spend another 3 months or so in BMP before getting released to MCT and my shins were still screwed up.

The first and third humps weren't too bad, as I was directly behind the guide, but the Ankle Breaker seriously fucked me up.

I was doing fine until we stopped in front of a vertical mountain. I asked the Sergeant, "Sergeant, where is the path around?" to which he replied, "Marines don't go around, Devil Dog...we go through!"

I looked out for my squad, though, so they looked after me. A 6'4" weight lifter shifted behind me and gave me a gentle push every now and then when my legs would fail.

That walk down sure was sweet, though. Coasting on screwed up legs as if they were roller blades, my life couldn't have been better.

Semper Fi.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2006 1:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So you got to do your urban combat training at that cool new town they built, huh? We had to go to that cheezy ass shantytown that was made out of plywood and 2x4's. Good times.

Those humps were horrible. I turned my ancle going up Mt. ************, but I didn't fall out though. I'm way too hard for that...NOT!!! I just wasn't about to give up my weekend.

Posted On:
    3/10/2006 2:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The little town was pretty cool. We did all sorts of clearing/jumping/safety drills there, including mock shoot outs with blanks and those fake grenades. Learned the high choke fire, the chicken neck, wall clearing, and all that other cool MOUT stuff.

MCT was probably the most enjoyable part of basic training. Boot Camp was an exercise in humiliation, and my MOS school kept everyone in holding for months at a time. MCT was fun, though.

I remember one night in the field when me and a few members of my squad had to make the "Water Trip" down the side of the mountain where we were camped. It was a good half mile or so up hill, and the Sergeant kept saying, "Squad Leaders need to keep their hands free to direct", so I wasn't allowed to help carry the water.

Instead, when my guys started to fall out, I began taking everyones rifle and walk/dragging guys that were slowing. I didn't even realize it at the time, since I was busy keeping my guys motivated, but I apparently collected about about 8 or 9 rifles situated and dangling from various parts of my body.

Right before I could give them back at the campsite, the Platoon Sergeant came by and caught me. He was a real hard edged grunt that gave everyone ****, and I was certain he'd beat my ass for "Not Keeping My Hands Free".

Instead, he counted the rifles as he handed them back, eyed me carefully, then said, "You carried about 20 more lbs than everyone else." After eyeing me for a few minutes, he shot me a look of approval and left without saying anything else.

Funny, the things you remember.

What was your MOS?

(Sorry for the thread derailment. We're talking about Marines...which is topic related...right?)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2006 3:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    2531 Field Radio Operator. I grew up in San Diego by the way. Lakeside to be specific. Where are you living?
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast