Posted On:
    3/23/2009 10:46am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: jui jitsu and judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [quote=Cdnronin;1384099]
    Quote Originally Posted by Macte
    This is part of the problem...,.John Therien self promoted to "kyoshI" 10th dan....

When did John Therien self promote to 10th Dan?
    Actually.. Kyoshi Therien did not self promote to 10th dan. He is an 8th dan and was awarded the Title of Kyoshi for all his years in the martial arts by his peers (Including Kyoshi Richard Morris, Prof george Sylvain, and many others),and for what he has accomplished and the direction he has given to pro kickboxing, martial arts and many more things. He has been teaching martial arts since the 1960's. Therien Jiu Jitsu opened it dorrs for the first time here in Ottawa on April 1,1968 and is the second oldest school here.
    Kyoshi John still teaches.

Here is some info for you on him.

"
    Kyoshi John Therien is one of the best-known and highly respected teachers in the Martial Arts world today. He is in constant demand to teach seminars in North America, Europe and around the globe. He is the chief instructor of the Therien Jiu-Jitsu & Kickboxing organization, Canada's largest and most successful group of Martial Arts schools.
    He has personally licensed and graduated more than 750 black belts and heads instruction for more than 3000 active members in the Can-Ryu system. His management expertise and professionalism has earned him the position of executive director of the World Kobudo Federation (WKF).
    The WKF is the most active and non-political Martial Arts organization in the world, with affiliated schools in 30+ countries, counting over 20 000 members.
    His vast knowledge of Jiu-Jitsu and teaching skills has earned him a reputation as one of the best instructors in his field. His many achievements include:
    • Title of Kyoshi
    • 8 degree Black Belt
    • Man of the Decade 1980's - PKA (Professional Karate Association)
    • 1982 - PKA Promoter of the Year
    • 1996 - Inducted into the CJA Hall of Fame
    • 1997 - Inducted into the WKF Hall of Fame
    • Canadian Government Award for achievement in Jiu-Jitsu
    • Golden Belt Award for being a pioneer of Jiu-Jitsu in Canada
    • Golden Belt Award for being a pioneer of Kickboxing in Canada
    • Ranked #1 Jiu-Jitsu instructor in Canada by his peers
    • Manager of 23 time world Kickboxing champion, Jean-Yves Thériault"
    I hope this clears up somethings about that.

I have known him for 26 years. He was my first martial arts instructor back in 1973.

Posted On:
    9/24/2009 8:37pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Old thread, but I thought that I would point out that Britt Nickerson is now officially 0-1 as a pro MMA fighter. I attended the event he competed in (One More Round in Trenton NS) and have to admit, that he is, indeed a "pro fighter"... ... ...

Of course he submitted verbally 25 seconds into the match after receiving two run-of-the-mill leg kicks... but he did indeed enter the ring and touch gloves.

his record is visible here:

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Britt-Nickerson-51005

Posted On:
    9/24/2009 8:56pm

Style: MT, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That was an incredibly ironic name for the event he fought in, LOL.

Posted On:
    9/24/2009 9:22pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It certainly was... something. Especially when compared to the guy who dislocated his right shoulder mid-match, and then went on to KTFO his opponent with only his left.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123