Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

10th level Superlesson Grandmaster

Posted On:
    3/09/2006 1:51pm

Style: Currently Inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    2 months and you're only a yellow belt, ****, you should be at least 3rd dan by now.
    Who, for Pete’s sake! Is opposing science? In fact, we want MORE science by CRITICALLY ANALIZING the evidence-Connie Morris, Kansas State BOE (bolding and underlining part of original quote, red is my emphasis)

As long as you try to treat your subjective experiences as if they were objective experiences, you will continue to be confounded by people who disagree with you.-some guy on an internet messageboard

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/09/2006 1:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Da SHreDdA
    the belt test will be for like a few blocking forms,strikes, punches kicks elbows and some others, and a few motions of attacks like u see on kenpo vids and **** like that, there is also sparring at this place so its not hey gimme a belt, the owner has said he does not give belts out and i straight up asked him 1st thing when i joined

also,wouldnt a bullshit school wanna keep students to keep making money instead of pushing them out? also my sensai told me not to worry bout my dues seeing as i was unable to participate for a few weeks which is a good sign of wanted to see people just be able to train
    I studied Nick Cerio's Kenpo for three years in high school back in the dark ages. From what I remeber the test to yellow was VERY basic, i.e., a blocking form, one kata, some basic punches and kicks, and a few self defense techniques. If your a reasonably coordinated guy two months to get to yellow is cool.

I refer you to the FAQ's on this site to get the definition of "bullshido".

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/09/2006 1:56pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PO9
    2 months and you're only a yellow belt, ****, you should be at least 3rd dan by now.
    this is kenpo, not TKD......besides, its at least six months to get your camoflage belt with gold stripes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2006 2:34pm

Style: whatever it takes

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenJonas
    I studied Nick Cerio's Kenpo for three years in high school back in the dark ages. From what I remeber the test to yellow was VERY basic, i.e., a blocking form, one kata, some basic punches and kicks, and a few self defense techniques. If your a reasonably coordinated guy two months to get to yellow is cool.

I refer you to the FAQ's on this site to get the definition of "bullshido".
    can u describe ya stay at nick cerios kenpo? since u did it for 3 years? also if it was any good? how it differs from ed parker styles? thanks, oh and what ranking did u get up to

The Couch Ninja

Posted On:
    3/09/2006 2:54pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    2 Months for Yellow is fine. I started Kenpo in November last year, but was on hiatus until last week, I hope to test the end of this month or next for my yellow. Some people pickup techniques quick others take a while to get their bodies to do what their mind tells them even on forms and sets.

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    3/09/2006 2:56pm

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's my nickles worth of advice (keepingin mind that's a Canadian nickle)....

If you as a white belt are questioning if it is too soon for you to be wearing a yellow belt, broaden your view and ask yourself, "Why do I feel that I need to ask this question?"

I'm not trying to be cryptic but I think you've answered your own question.

TKD

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/09/2006 2:57pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    can u describe ya stay at nick cerios kenpo? since u did it for 3 years? also if it was any good? how it differs from ed parker styles? thanks, oh and what ranking did u get up to
    Sorry, my bad, it was actually like 2 years, my junior and senior years in High School. I got up to blue belt was set to test for green then went off to college.

The school was cool in that my sensei’s were good people, did not disillusion you as to what you were learning, i.e., never said "this technique is too deadly to use", and did not "hand" out rank....although the requirements were not that stringent anyways.

The school was adequate but very soft compared to how I train now. The bottom line is that the self defense techniques are good ONLY if you are consistently attacked by an opponent performing a half moon step followed by a lead punch, the kata is just that, kata, and the sparring is TKD point sparring...however, the sparring will depend on the school, the school I was in had a student who was a golden gloves boxer and he and I would get together after class and go full contact...this was encouraged by my sensei.

I sporadically studied Ed Parker's Kenpo (or at least what was represented to me as being Parker's kenpo) for about a year in college in western Massachusetts. I found Parker's kenpo to be harder, more contact, than Cerio's and there was actually some crappling thrown in for good measure, which Cerio's didn't have. The SD tech's and the sparring were the same however......essentially useless in the real world.

It depends on the school, the instructor, and what you want to get out of your time and money spent there.

If you want to learn how to fight and defend yourself learn some good grappling (BJJ, JJJ, MMA, Judo which doesn't ignore newaza) and standup (boxing, Muy Thai, kickboxing). If you want to learn some "karate" (NOT kroddy), and fully understand its limitations in real life application (and the fact that while cool, nunchucks are useless) then take some TMA that you find interesting.

If your only choice is between Cerio or Parker's Kenpo, assuming everything else (school, instructors, students) are equal, I would choose Parker's.

Posted On:
    3/09/2006 2:59pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenJonas
    If you want to learn how to fight and defend yourself learn some good grappling (BJJ, JJJ, MMA, Judo which doesn't ignore newaza) and standup (boxing, Muy Thai, kickboxing). If you want to learn some "karate" (NOT kroddy), and fully understand its limitations in real life application (and the fact that while cool, nunchucks are useless) then take some TMA that you find interesting.
    couldn't of said it better.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    3/09/2006 4:57pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would just say that if it takes forever to get a belt that's good. If you get belts quickly and there are lots of belts that's bad.

I know you're talking about kempo but my old judo club only had 5 belts; white, yellow, green, brown, and black. No stripes or any of that silly crap. I got my yellow belt after 4 years of membership. At the same time no one cared that much about belts because people came there to practice and not to get overpriced apparel.

So, honestly and truly, I wouldn't even care about the wait time in between belts if I were you. A really long wait time is usually a good sign.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2006 5:16pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    is this normal? 2 months in and i train for yellow which is basicaly showing the basics? let a ninja know:angry9:

also this site has me overly concerned about all martial arts being bullshido and kinda makes me feel there is no such thing as a good school

this is about kenpo remember
    Seems right to me. In my experience, most schools award the belt after that amount of time, sometimes even less.

What's more important is you expressing your love of martial art. Go into the school, train and practice tirelessly, show honest intent to learn and you'll be good to go.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast