Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2006 12:20pm

Style: whatever it takes

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

2 months normal to move from white belt to yellow in 2 months?(kenpo)

is this normal? 2 months in and i train for yellow which is basicaly showing the basics? let a ninja know:angry9:

also this site has me overly concerned about all martial arts being bullshido and kinda makes me feel there is no such thing as a good school

this is about kenpo remember

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2006 12:34pm

Style: JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pretty standard for traditional karate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2006 12:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItOnlyHurtsOnce
    Pretty standard for traditional karate.
    any way you can tell me a little more? like say i get yellow this month? orange will come 2 monts after? or can you link me to how this works for kenpo? also i heard brown belts take the longest up to 2 years b4 black

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2006 12:39pm

Style: Mizong Quan, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Da SHreDdA
    is this normal? 2 months in and i train for yellow which is basicaly showing the basics? let a ninja know:angry9:

also this site has me overly concerned about all martial arts being bullshido and kinda makes me feel there is no such thing as a good school

What were the testing requirements? White to yellow can go pretty quick if you are an athletic/intelligent individual or have trained in another style before. I assume you didnt have to earn your white belt either? At one school, I couldn't even wear a white belt until I had tested for it. Anyways, I know of no hard and fast rule for the low-belts, since they really don't mean anything (I daresay most, if not all belts, mean very little). However, at the upper belts you should naturally expect more stringent requirements, unless you are a martial arts prodigy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2006 12:43pm

Style: Japanese Jujutsu / aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

It's normal for an americanized martial art dojo, where one of the schools source of income is how much they charge for testings or ranking; this is why you might notice that most of these schools test about every five to six months. Ranking in a fighting art can not be reached in that manner, it takes time for the budy to assimilate movements, techniques and ideas that might be new to a person. The idea that a black belt in a complex system of fighting can be reached in a couple of years is laughable and the school's practices or their ideas of budo should be questioned.

It is basically true that belts are completely worthless and that they are there only to keep your gi closed and in some cases the hakama tied on properly. So, the belt system in general is a bunch of bullshit, that is not to say that some schools just give them away as door prices, as it in the case for the majority of martial arts schools that you find in the yellow pages.

You should also look at how these ranks or belts are gained, what do you have to do in these test. Is it a demonstration the defence/fighting abilities you have learned in this short? Or is it a demonstration of the katas you have gone through? If it's the latter then question it, katas are long and take a long time to learn, because they keep the student busy and the money coming in.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    3/09/2006 12:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by konosan
    It's normal for an americanized martial art dojo, where one of the schools source of income is how much they charge for testings or ranking; this is why you might notice that most of these schools test about every five to six months. Ranking in a fighting art can not be reached in that manner, it takes time for the budy to assimilate movements, techniques and ideas that might be new to a person. The idea that a black belt in a complex system of fighting can be reached in a couple of years is laughable and the school's practices or their ideas of budo should be questioned.

It is basically true that belts are completely worthless and that they are there only to keep your gi closed and in some cases the hakama tied on properly. So, the belt system in general is a bunch of bullshit, that is not to say that some schools just give them away as door prices, as it in the case for the majority of martial arts schools that you find in the yellow pages.

You should also look at how these ranks or belts are gained, what do you have to do in these test. Is it a demonstration the defence/fighting abilities you have learned in this short? Or is it a demonstration of the katas you have gone through? If it's the latter then question it, katas are long and take a long time to learn, because they keep the student busy and the money coming in.
    Bingo...I'm glad you posted this. Gonna print it out and give it to my friend.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2006 1:03pm

Style: Japanese Jujutsu / aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    Bingo...I'm glad you posted this. Gonna print it out and give it to my friend.

Shure thing, it is a subject that i have always been concerned with. It always seems to me that some schoos are just trying to push ranks of students, if it's clear even to an outsider to the art that the kid or person has no clue of what they are doing. I use to see that crap in tournaments all the time, and i woyuld feel like screaming.

I hope you can help you bud see how things are.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2006 1:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the belt test will be for like a few blocking forms,strikes, punches kicks elbows and some others, and a few motions of attacks like u see on kenpo vids and **** like that, there is also sparring at this place so its not hey gimme a belt, the owner has said he does not give belts out and i straight up asked him 1st thing when i joined

also,wouldnt a bullshit school wanna keep students to keep making money instead of pushing them out? also my sensai told me not to worry bout my dues seeing as i was unable to participate for a few weeks which is a good sign of wanted to see people just be able to train
    Last edited by Da SHreDdA; 3/09/2006 1:13pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/09/2006 1:36pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shaolin-Do Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    also my sensai told me not to worry bout my dues seeing as i was unable to participate for a few weeks which is a good sign of wanted to see people just be able to train
    i'd say that's the sign of a school with at least the right intentions. i used to be TKD and had a sensei who didn't charge me for several months because i was a poor college kid. this guy wasn't rich either, he made so little from it he had another 50 hour job he did to pay his bills. you could probably even talk to him and get yourself trained and graded harder than others. he sounds like the kind of guy that would do that if you wanted. :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2006 1:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by yokumo
    i'd say that's the sign of a school with at least the right intentions. i used to be TKD and had a sensei who didn't charge me for several months because i was a poor college kid. this guy wasn't rich either, he made so little from it he had another 50 hour job he did to pay his bills. you could probably even talk to him and get yourself trained and graded harder than others. he sounds like the kind of guy that would do that if you wanted. :)
    im a big guy, im 24, im muscular, im very athletic so when i started i stuck out and i picked up real real quick, when he called me he said another sensai told me to call make sure everything was alright and to get ur ass in here, that **** felt good to know
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast