Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2010 4:01pm

Style: JuShinDo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

villari martial art school

you got it right, mcdojo, villari was conneted with "united studios of self-defence, kung-fu, karate, and was a nationwide chain, maybe still is? they teach kempo (hawaiin) style karate. they, like everone else, is now combining ground/grappling work. personally, I wouldn't waste my time, especially in new york, don't you have oyama karate or shidokan located there?

:new_gmorn
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalRage View Post
    http://vsdny.com/index.shtml

Anybody in the area (Long Island, NY) know about this school? The website itself is very awkward, there's very little mention of what they actually teach, what style, how they train etc. In fact, most of what is on there is talking about belts and kids classes. Smells very mcdojolike to me.

A friend of mine had met someone who trains there, an assistant instructor who asked her if she would like to come try it out. The assistant instructor talked about how they have 3.5 year black belt programs and how they do grappling on the weekends...

Posted On:
    3/17/2010 11:02am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: shaolin kempo karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok so here's the thing, I go to the windam CT branch in CT and do adult classes. Maybe the rest of the schools are mcdojos, but at least where I train they go by the original curriculum rather than the rotating one so many schools have adopted now. And truth be told I think that any system is what you make it. If I tell the insructors I want to be great and i dont want them to go easy on me then they dont. They believe each persons martial art journey is their own, and can be made for different reasons. I'm more of a traditionalist, so I go for the make me some one who can handle himself as opposed to confidence or health or any of that stuff. Good bonuses in my opinion though. Anyways for all you people bashing Villari, I've seen the guy, and he knows his stuff.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    3/17/2010 11:18am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by villaripwns View Post
    Ok so here's the thing, I go to the windam CT branch in CT and do adult classes.
    how old are you?

Maybe the rest of the schools are mcdojos, but at least where I train they go by the original curriculum rather than the rotating one so many schools have adopted now.
    what are the differences? what exactly made the old curriculum better?

And truth be told I think that any system is what you make it. If I tell the insructors I want to be great and i dont want them to go easy on me then they dont. They believe each persons martial art journey is their own, and can be made for different reasons.
    there's a lot more involved in quality martial arts training than this. instructors who mean well can still teach you useless crap, despite not "taking it easy" on you.

I'm more of a traditionalist, so I go for the make me some one who can handle himself as opposed to confidence or health or any of that stuff. Good bonuses in my opinion though.
    how much do you really know about "traditional" japanese martial arts? what makes you think you are being a traditionalist?

have you tested whether you can *really* handle yourself by sparring outside of your school under limited rules against quailty opponents? have you competed in full contact kickboxing or MMA? if not, then you have no idea if you are learning anything useful at all.

Anyways for all you people bashing Villari, I've seen the guy, and he knows his stuff.
    what is your background pre-villari, and how does it qualify you to be a judge of if he does or does not "know his stuff"?
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/17/2010 12:19pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by villaripwns View Post
    Ok so here's the thing, I go to the windam CT branch in CT and do adult classes. Maybe the rest of the schools are mcdojos, but at least where I train they go by the original curriculum rather than the rotating one so many schools have adopted now. And truth be told I think that any system is what you make it. If I tell the insructors I want to be great and i dont want them to go easy on me then they dont. They believe each persons martial art journey is their own, and can be made for different reasons. I'm more of a traditionalist, so I go for the make me some one who can handle himself as opposed to confidence or health or any of that stuff. Good bonuses in my opinion though. Anyways for all you people bashing Villari, I've seen the guy, and he knows his stuff.
    It has changed over the years, I still believe there are good and bad instructors
    in every system. As for "does" the system work outside the Dojo or the McDojo as some will call it, I got into a real fight that by all accounts , other that did not know i knew any MA at the time, the guy should have leveled me.
    To the suprise of many, I left the guy on the floor. Stopping short of braking his spine. Thats when I realized the other stuff they teach you ( self control, etc) is all part of being a martial artist. im gona go on a limb here and say I think FV would have preferd i finished the job!
    Regards,:qright6:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2010 3:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

short of breaking his spine?

if you are talking about the neck, maybe I can see it, but I haven't seen spines as that easy to break, in an all out fight. I wasn't there, but...:XXcompute

Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by scottrey1 View Post
    It has changed over the years, I still believe there are good and bad instructors
    in every system. As for "does" the system work outside the Dojo or the McDojo as some will call it, I got into a real fight that by all accounts , other that did not know i knew any MA at the time, the guy should have leveled me.
    To the suprise of many, I left the guy on the floor. Stopping short of braking his spine. Thats when I realized the other stuff they teach you ( self control, etc) is all part of being a martial artist. im gona go on a limb here and say I think FV would have preferd i finished the job!
    Regards,:qright6:

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/17/2010 3:49pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blugularis View Post
    if you are talking about the neck, maybe I can see it, but I haven't seen spines as that easy to break, in an all out fight. I wasn't there, but...:XXcompute

Lewis
    I had to put down my beer to do it too!

Posted On:
    3/17/2010 4:31pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "I'm more of a traditionalist, so I go for the make me some one who can handle himself as opposed to confidence or health or any of that stuff."

Do you realize that with the multiple changes Villari's Kempo style has gone through it is hardly "traditional". If he was doing what his teacher had taught him it would be Nick Cerio's style of Kempo. :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2010 9:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

villari

I just looked up Villari on you tube, and I would put my money on any Oyama style brown belt, "tenth dan, WTF!?" (and wtf does not stand for the World Taekwondo Federation in this instance).
    :shock:
    Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by scottrey1 View Post
    I had to put down my beer to do it too!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2010 9:43pm

Style: kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Browning View Post
    "I'm more of a traditionalist, so I go for the make me some one who can handle himself as opposed to confidence or health or any of that stuff."

Do you realize that with the multiple changes Villari's Kempo style has gone through it is hardly "traditional". If he was doing what his teacher had taught him it would be Nick Cerio's style of Kempo. :)
    Sort of. Nick Cerio's Kenpo is what NC devised after he trained with some of the Hawaiian folk (Bill Chun and Wm. Chow) and couldn't reconcile what Mr. Cerio had learned from S. George Pesare. In a strange way, early Villari material is more like early East Coast ke?po than the 'Nick Cerio's Kenpo' of the later years. Nick dropped what Fred continued doing.

Then the late 70's / early 80's came and it all went bonkers. Everybody was kung fu fighting.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/19/2010 9:01am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** Villari. End of thread. Who cares what he did 30 years ago (if he even did it then). The schools are not doing it now.
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819