Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    3/08/2006 3:57pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wear them when you need them. Women don't like the 'flat disk of flesh with a sphincter in the middle' (advanced case) look in the U.S.

That said, if you find yourself needing to wear them on a constant basis, you need to ask yourself what are you doing that's allowing your opponent to brutalize your head.

It's true that most grapplers will perceive ear protectors as a sign of weakness in competition. This can either work for you, or against you.

Edit: Damn it, Yrkoon. Illiterate snails type faster than I do.
    Last edited by jnp; 3/08/2006 4:01pm at .
    Shut the hell up and train.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    3/08/2006 3:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm quite fond of my ears, so if I ever notice an icky-ness a brewin' I'll start wearing the silly looking ear guards.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    3/08/2006 4:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    That said, if you find yourself needing to wear them on a constant basis, you need to ask yourself what are you doing that's allowing your opponent to brutalize your head.
    No, it's genetics. Some peoples' ear cartilage are thicker and less pliant and, thus, more vulnerable. Also, a person's personal style/abilities will also be a factor because some people are more likely to push, pull, and twist using their head than other wrestlers. Additionally, it stands to reason that gi training will slightly reduce the possibility because, time wise, there are more opportunities to end with gi chokes instead of needing to neck crank and cross face someone. And, gi training might also reduce the possibility because the gi tends to slow everything down.
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 3/08/2006 4:17pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2006 4:10pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a lowly white belt with no stripes. As a result a generous portion of my rolling is executed with other white belts some of which still believe in the magic neck exploding properties of the common headlock.
    Higher belts I find are much gentler adversaries head-squeezing wise as they have the confidece of knowing that usually they will be able to escape or reverse in contrast to the desperate death grips of fellow newbs, who try to hold on to any conceivable body part when they notice they're being robbed of their advantageous position.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2006 4:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    damn those were long sentences.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    3/08/2006 4:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    Mr. Kagan, the forum enforcer's post
    Quote Originally Posted by semantically free spirit
    That said, if you find yourself needing to wear them on a constant basis, you need to minimize what you are doing that's allowing your opponent to brutalize your head.
    That better?

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/08/2006 4:55pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my ears are so soft, small and wussy that I've never even had a hint of cauliflower ear, but the lobes tear a bit sometimes.

I suppose if it becomes a problem, I'd wear headgear, in theory, but in practice I would be too lazy. Then I would bitch about it, probably on bullshido even.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    3/08/2006 4:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    That better?

What would you suggest? Avoid getting grabbed around your head? Don't post your head on the mat? Don't head in on a duck under?

Why do you want to minimize this?

- The head is a great lever.
    - Many people like no-gi training.
    - It's relatively hard to pick your parents.

Dude, I'm sorry the earguards don't come in your color or your ugly-eared peers make too much fun of you for wearing one. :smile: However, just because someone might be more prone to developing califlower ear doesn't automatically infer they are doing anything they need to change, technique wise.

If there were such mistakes in technique which could be changed to stop califlower ear from forming, there already would be a couple of hundred articles about how to minimize it beyond religious headgear use and proper hematoma treatment.
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 3/08/2006 5:01pm at .

Posted On:
    3/08/2006 5:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have these bizarre, rubbery ears that I can triple fold with no pain. I never notice any discomfort during grappling, but recently I've torn a nice line where the ear meets the head on both sides. Since I freestyle every class, I've continually ripped open these wounds, usually causing a nice bloody mess on me and my opponents.

I don't mind, but most people don't appreciate foreign body fluids on their person, so I figured I'd pick up some headgear. I'm pretty vain, though, so I'm wondering if I'll actually wear them.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    3/08/2006 5:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Uhh, I think you're taking this a little more seriously than I am. All I'm saying is that there are things you can do while grappling to minimize trauma to your ears. Not avoid it altogether. I have no desire to get involved in a discussion with you about environmental or genetic cofactors as this is outside the scope of this topic.

I've had to wear ear protection once in the last 5 years of grappling. My ears are about in the middle of the sensitivity scale. I had C ear 5 or 6 times in high school wrestling. Never actually had to deal with a full blown case since then. My ears start to hurt, I stretch people out when under them so that they can't bring their full weight to bear on my head, or I try to play the top game. My point boils down to the fact that certain techniques are helpful in preventing ear trauma. Use them along with ear protection when you need to. If you don't know these techniques, ask your instructor because I don't have the time to relay them here.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast