Page 1 of 8 12345 ... Last
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Grappling Ear Guards: Love em or Leave em?

I tried to add a poll, but the site upgrades are screwing with me.

Grappling Ear Guards!

What do you think of Grappling Ear Guards?

1. Only for kids with overprotective mothers.

2. Unnecessary and a waste of money. You need to get used to ear injuries and compression.

3. Occasionally useful, but uncomfortable and/or embarassing to wear.

4. Necessary. Everyone should have a set next to their cups and mouthguards.

Some BJJ players come from a High School/College Wrestling background, and are as comfortable with ear guards as a boxer is with gloves. Others SHOULD wear them but avoid them because of vanity and/or discomfort. Still others never seem to have issues with ear injuries and never even considered wearing a set.

Where do you stand when it comes to Ear Guards for grappling?

Style
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like it when other people wear them. It gives me a little something extra to hand onto. I don't wear them. Because I feel no pain.

Style
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll vote for 3

I've only worn them when my ears already got fucked up and I wanted to keep training.

True story though- people with cauliflower ear are well respected in some cultures (Japanese, Iranian, etc) becuase it indicates that one is a fighter- its basically like a war vet who's showing off his scars.

Anyways to my story- I used to train with some Arabic fellow who used to ask me and my instructor (who's got 10 X worse ears than me) how we got our ears to look so "beautiful." We laughed for a bit, afterwards he said "I understand- Im a new guy and you guys cant tell me- its ok." He actually thought that there was some secret initiation or trick that grapplers used to intentionally **** their ears up. He kept asking me to do to his ears what was necessary to make them look like mine- he even offerred me $500 to do it......

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld supporting member
    Style
    Taai Si Ji Kung Fu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raynor
    I would've wrecked his ears for 500.

Tell the truth! You would have done it for $20.

:smile:

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There should be another choice for the poll, something like: " I wear them, I'm too much of a pretty boy not to"

Would cover me and the likes of meself. Call me a pansy, but I don't want to end up looking like Sakuraba.

Style
    BJJ & MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wear them when sparring, but not in competition because of people like Yrkoon. My ears started to swell up a few months after I started training and like Dr. No I am far too pretty for cauliflower ear*. Plus my ears sometimes get little tears underneath where the bottom connects to my head and I don't need an ear getting ripped off. Also I've heard that cauli fucks up your hearing cause sound can't bounce around in your ear properly or something. So **** all that noise. Call me a pusy if you want, I'm still wearing headgear.

*Actually I'd just like to preserve what little looks I have.
    Last edited by Meager; 3/08/2006 3:42pm at .

Style
    BJJ, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We have a guy who uses them. Looks kinda fruity.

I guess I'll aquire a pair if I start developing cauli, or something.

Style
    mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    after i wash out all the gell from my hair, i get a kind of afro-look. with the earguards i get a flat top.

you think anyone wants a armbar from behind while im wearing these bad boys?

FORGET ABOUT IT!

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjelva

I guess I'll aquire a pair if I start developing cauli, or something.
    That's what I did. Upon the arrival of the first cartilaginous lump I suddenly developed a strong interest in retaining the virgin beauty of my anthelix.

I broke the top strap of my Hunters yesterday after 3 weeks and 12 sessions, not too durable methinks.

Style
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't let anyone tell you different: Bitches love them. They want to touch them. They may claim to think they are gross. They are lying. They want to feel them - are they hard or are they squishy. It is a question women are most interested in at the genetic level.

Three things you look at: Ears, Nose, Hands. The more screwed up these items are - the less you want to scrap with them.

People ask me all the time, Do you wrestle? My standard response is, Only when I have to.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... Last