Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    3/08/2006 3:05pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Norris would not touch crap like that.

And you say you do Taekwondo...shame on you...

Your RBSD Cannot Save You Now.

Posted On:
    3/08/2006 3:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Spanish Rapier/Epee/Foil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can you name any other white guys who would take on a series like that?
    I don't have anything against Norris.
    Except "The Octagon," of course.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2006 3:18pm

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nekozuki
    So, seriously i would really like to know if there is a form of aikido that does work?
    like something that is to aikido what kyokushinkai is to karate?

You might want to look for:
    Mitsunari Kanai
    Kazuo Chiba
    Ichiro Shibata
    Hayato Osawa

Just to name a few.

Posted On:
    3/08/2006 3:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elnyka
    I wonder if Ueshiba ever foresaw something like this to happen to his creation (?????????????)
    Yes, and he bitched about it fiercely.

The (paraphrased) quote i remember read something like:

"I have forgered a new path, but when I look back, noone is following me!"

Aikido is O-Sensei-owned!
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    3/08/2006 4:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nekozuki
    So, seriously i would really like to know if there is a form of aikido that does work?
    like something that is to aikido what kyokushinkai is to karate?
    Jason Deluca's Combat Aikido stuff is the closest I have seen of somebody trying to make this stuff work for real.

www.aikidog.com

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2006 4:32pm

Style: Judo, Tomiki Aikido, ??

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinshoryu
    I'm glad you took the time to specify "TOMIKI" aikido, although I must say (for the benefit of Tomiki aikido, which I don't know very well) that this sounds like the deep insight from a long 2 hrs experience in the art (including the video tape sessions).

By the way, this is what someone who spent a bit more than 30 min. practicing aikido thinks about this.
    I like the collapsing time frame. Too bad you didn't go on to another paragraph and things would have been down to 5 minutes or 90 seconds. If you wanna play whip'um out then just say so.

I stick by my statements. If it is that shocking to you that someone who has studied the art concluded that it has its place but that that place isn't necessarily in an actual confrontation I'll be surprised to see you on these boards for long.

If you'd prefer to think what is being done in an Aikido class is some sort of practical combat art that's fine by me. Good luck proving that though.
    Last edited by Fitz; 3/08/2006 4:51pm at .

Your RBSD Cannot Save You Now.

Posted On:
    3/08/2006 4:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Spanish Rapier/Epee/Foil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now, now, let's not fight.
    Let the Aikidoka hold his views for a while.
    It is that much funnier when someone breaks him across their knee.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2006 6:38pm

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz
    I like the collapsing time frame. Too bad you didn't go on to another paragraph and things would have been down to 5 minutes or 90 seconds. If you wanna play whip'um out then just say so.

I stick by my statements. If it is that shocking to you that someone who has studied the art concluded that it has its place but that that place isn't necessarily in an actual confrontation I'll be surprised to see you on these boards for long.

If you'd prefer to think what is being done in an Aikido class is some sort of practical combat art that's fine by me. Good luck proving that though.

Of course I'm not shocked, I can handle disagreement (whereís the fun in everyone happily agreeing???), I just thought that you where currently practicing Tomiki aikido, in which case I could only come up with two possible explanations:
    1. This guy is a beginner with experience in another martial art who is seeing everything through the crystal of his previous martial art.
    2. This guy is an idiot who keeps practicing a martial art even though he thinks he would be better off doing yoga.

I gave you the benefit of the doubt so I chose to believe the 1st. Now I see neither one was right. You tried it (who knows for how long), didnít liked it, and came up with that conclusion. Thatís ok, just another personal opinion.

About the practical applications, well letís say that I think that you (like many others) keep on trying to hammer things with a screwdriver and when (of course) it doesnít work, think the screwdriver sucks. Guess I wasnít entirely wrong with #1.

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    3/08/2006 7:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz

How much of the 17 basic techniques do you know? Your randori is like Yoga interesting. Based on your comment I guess you won't be attending the Tomiki tournament this fall in New York.

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    3/08/2006 8:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heres a little nidbit that you might find interesting.

Aikido Changes you definitely..
    The first thing that came to mind with how i believe aikido study has changed me is in my spirit of cooperation. I have been studying aikido for about eight years and the first thing that i picked up on was that spirit of cooperation. I studied a few other martial arts and none of them involed totally putting yourself in your defenders hands and trusting that you won't get irimi naged into the next week.
    The trust in your fellow human slowly increases from that point throughout your studies. As a beginner i totally didnt understand that because i was more interested in being a super martial artist etc. I was still in that competition mode and wasnt excepting the principles of loving kindness etc.
    I get too long winded so i am going to let that reply sit and stew for a bit..take care..
    j
    Now this is from MAP. http://www.martialartsplanet.com/for...ad.php?t=27710
    Last edited by Mr. Jones; 3/08/2006 8:27pm at .
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast