Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2006 11:59pm

Style: Box, Kickbox, No-gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAB MY WRIST
    So when is the MMA / Boxing / Wrestling suck month?
    Well, they would have to start sucking first. :lol:

It would help if they got a ranking system, made their students learn a foreign language, started marketing themselves primarily as a way of life, got rid of most/all sparring/fighting/competitions, and developed an unhealthy obsession over clothing. That would all be a start. :tongue5:

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    3/14/2006 12:09am

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boxing sucks because they get socked in the head so many times and they get brain damage. MMA doesn't suck becuase it isn't a style.
    Last edited by Mr. Jones; 3/14/2006 12:13am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/14/2006 12:27am

Style: Jabs & Cross Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Freakshow
    Well, they would have to start sucking first. :lol:

...<snip>...made their students learn a foreign language, started marketing themselves primarily as a way of life...<snip>...
    If I do wrestling, I have to start to learn English because of this... my first language is not English. So wrestling by your definition sucks.

If I study Medicine... I have to start learning Greek because many medical terminology are Greek origin... so Medicine suck?

Lawyers have to study Latin as tonnes of their technical term are in Latin... so law sucks as well?

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    3/14/2006 12:30am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BSOne, GMW, Freakshow this whole thread sucks now and it's all your fault.
    Last edited by Mr. Jones; 3/14/2006 12:35am at .

Posted On:
    3/14/2006 12:35am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAB MY WRIST
    So when is the MMA / Boxing / Wrestling suck month?
    When they start tapping each other lightly for points and subbing themselves so their partners won't have to.

Your RBSD Cannot Save You Now.

Posted On:
    3/14/2006 7:17am

supporting member
     Style: Spanish Rapier/Epee/Foil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
    Couldn't have put it better myself. Check out the Segal Juice thread if you haven't already. That is worth a laugh.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/14/2006 8:28am

supporting member
     Style: Yoseikan Budo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus
    I'm going to echo what Lord Asia said about this, but also provide a little more detail as I have actually trained SOME DRAJJ and am somewhat familiar with it's methods. This will be a long post, but I hope to clear up some of the confusion about this little known style, which most aikidoka have never seen, let alone trained in, yet constantly talk about.

The unarmed techniques of DRAJJ are divided into three sections:

1) Jujitsu (Shiden Mokuroku), 118 techniques

2) Aikinojutsu, 53 techniques

3) Aikijujitsu, something above 2000 techniques

When a student begins to learn to DRAJJ, he tradionally was taught the jujitsu part of the curriculum first. This is a fact often overlooked by many, but actually very important. The jujitsu techniques are very linear, and are fairly typical of most koryu arts. These take up about a year or two, sometimes more, of training. When training a soldier, who might see battle at any point, one wants him to be able to learn how to kill as quickly as possible, and these techniques are meant to be learned quickly for this very reason. This kind of no-nonsense, linear techniques complete with strikes, kicks, chokes, breaks, is one of the main things missing from ALL kinds of aikido. Balance is broken by strikes preceeding grappling.

Aikinojutsu are techniques that rely on 'aiki'. Aiki in DRAJJ is explained as proper way of holding your body and angle of attack based upon opponent. THere is nothing metaphysical about it. It is similar to sword work, with the difference between a technique working and failing being at times a few inches. Should a technique fail, one can fall back on the jujitsu. There are no strikes in most of these techniques.

Aikijujitsu are the techniques which combine atemi with 'aiki' (aiki meaning, once again, a more refined sense of angles of attack and posture, timing). The movements are still much more linear, and though I myself never learned any of these, I had some preformed on me while resisting. They hurt. The strikes hurt. The locks hurt.

Once a student moves on to aikijujitsu techniques, he will use 'aiki' with even the jujitsu techniques, as well as the atemi.

I don't think you could jump into DRAJJ and begin learning the Aikijujitsu techniques, because the idea is to get to that point after years of understanding the basics of control. However, some schools of DRAJJ do teach these techniques first now, skipping over the jj because this is what people want. For this reason alot of DRAJJ resembles aikido and is about as effective (not very).

Aikido presuposes a knowledge of 'basics', and therefore students never learn how to make the aiki techniques work, nor what aiki even is. As Lord Asia said, the best aikido practioners were those who came from judo. In this context, this fact makes perfect sense.

DRAJJ is often called a 'battlefield art', and I can see why. When preforming some of the techniques I can picture a samurai who has been given a specific target moving through the lines to kill him, evading others along the way.

All this being said, I don't personally feel that DRAJJ has enough randori in it at any point, nor do I think it would be very effective against an MMA fighter. Anyone who says different is full of it. I do however think it is good to learn for use against your average ****-wad, or for those who bounce or whatever, so that you dont get in too much legal **** for elbowing and kneeing the **** out of him. I also think it has complemented by BJJ by teaching me more balanced entering.

That's it.
    good post (although this is supose to be an aikido bashing thread)

This is also said to be the reason ueshiba got in trouble as he was teaching 'advanced' techniques directly.
    Martial Arts is like sex, if you over complicate it with exotic sounding names, theories and principles, you end up fucking yourself in the ass. -Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2006 12:06am

Style: Jabs & Cross Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
    Mr Jones should not be so quick to give up on thread. Mr Jones has given birth to some silly threads such as this current one and this one. Such thread provide good entertainment for GMW in between break.

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    3/15/2006 12:18am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread was originally about how stupid the posters are at AIkiweb. March isn't over I still have threads to make about Aikido.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    3/15/2006 1:50am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People who talk about themselves in the third person make me want to see if it is possible to actually break tatami.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.
Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71314151617 18192021 ... LastLast