Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/14/2006 7:53pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blooming lotus
    I was serious actually and I have been trying to find you some more information but unsuccessfully. I do think it's ShiYanFeng and that he's also running some taichi classes. If that help you out then I'm sorry.

Because blooming lotus is to easily thwarted by google to find it himself

http://www.shaolin-jingwu.com/
    That's the guy he's talking about.

They train almost exclusively for forms competition, little-to-no contact, not exactly SD oriented either. I suppose if you're interested in being a ballerina you might find it useful. Absolutely nothing in his training lineage, footage, or bio supports Lotus' wild assertion that you would enhance your grappling game studying here.

For extra illumination, count the number of times the words "perform" and "wushu" appear.

The numbers are in, and blooming lotus loses at the internet.

Posted On:
    3/14/2006 7:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, it's in Houston, which is distinct from Austin. Strangely, Texas is not in fact one big megaopolis.

Who knew.

Posted On:
    3/14/2006 8:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Shaolin people are so awesome, they don't need joints in their legs. All you leg-bending pussies can suck it.

Posted On:
    3/15/2006 8:05am

Style: gongfu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical
    Because blooming lotus is to easily thwarted by google to find it himself

http://www.shaolin-jingwu.com/
    That's the guy he's talking about.

They train almost exclusively for forms competition, little-to-no contact, not exactly SD oriented either. I suppose if you're interested in being a ballerina you might find it useful. Absolutely nothing in his training lineage, footage, or bio supports Lotus' wild assertion that you would enhance your grappling game studying here.

For extra illumination, count the number of times the words "perform" and "wushu" appear.

The numbers are in, and blooming lotus loses at the internet.
    Actually, besides the grappling I saw myself at shaolin when I was living near the temple, you do realise those boys also trained in sanda ( chinese boxing) most of their lives right??? Christ, even that wushu team he had someone visit from box .. and I know thaat because when I was there at the end of last year I was trading some english lessons with an ex-member of the team who'd been out there since he was 6 ( now 24 or something) for someone to spar with ... and theey fight with other men who've been training all theeir lives..
    You suure you dont want to read a few more things before you shoot your mouth off???
    Last edited by Blooming lotus; 3/15/2006 8:09am at .

Posted On:
    3/15/2006 8:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical
    Also, it's in Houston, which is distinct from Austin. Strangely, Texas is not in fact one big megaopolis.

Who knew.
    oh. c now that would b a good reason to not go. ;) :)

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    3/15/2006 8:33am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, besides the grappling I saw myself at shaolin when I was living near the temple, you do realise those boys also trained in sanda ( chinese boxing) most of their lives right??? Christ, even that wushu team he had someone visit from box .. and I know thaat because when I was there at the end of last year I was trading some english lessons with an ex-member of the team who'd been out there since he was 6 ( now 24 or something) for someone to spar with ... and theey fight with other men who've been training all theeir lives..
    You suure you dont want to read a few more things before you shoot your mouth off???
    Though this post is near impossible to decipher, its logic seems to go something like this:
    Some guys I met in China trained Sanda -> everyone who does performance wushu can fight

Not over zealous, but just zealous enough. 病気の粗悪品

Posted On:
    3/15/2006 9:44am

Style: Okinawan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh. c now that would b a good reason to not go. ;) :)
    There is never a good reason to go to Houston...

If I owned Hell and Houston, I'd live in Hell and rent out Houston.

:new_evil:
    People often tell me that I fail to see the gravity of the situation.
    I see the gravity, and I say...

Step right up folks and watch me defy gravity!

Posted On:
    3/15/2006 12:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sanda is a set of competition rules, not a style. People who train extensively for Sanda rules are training to compete in sanda tournaments. The gentleman may or may not have had training of the sort one would have in preparing for competition, but one can find no shred of a competitive record(and 45 seconds on the computer reveal that records are kept pretty well for them).

What does that mean? 1) if he trained it, he didn't compete in it, wheras he did compete in wushu and forms tournaments. Generally the focus of ones training is going to be on the things you're entered in tournaments on. Similarly, he has been extremely proactive in getting his students entered into wushu and forms tournaments, and noting their competitive record, which is indeed impressive. If he had similar levels of training in a full contact fighting method and the ability to train others into that method, i find it hard to believe he wouldn't enroll those students in kickboxing or sanda/san shou rules tournaments if they were to be found.

Similarly, no reference is found for example of him working with LEO's, military, etc, to convey his elite fighting knowledge on people who might need to employ it.

I think we can conclude fairly safely that the man is a professional dancer in a dance style that resembles martial arts, with some extensive TMA background, rather than a professional fighter.

Btw, what places have you ended up checking out yokuma?

Posted On:
    3/15/2006 5:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I only made reference to the wushu team and the sanda they learn there now because someone else said that shaolin was irrelevant to fighting or something. As far as Houston goes though there are some amaazing martial artists out there and in fact, my dream shifu ( Shi Xing Hao) lives and operates out there and has some of the tightest lineage you could want from an instructor. ..
    Still not reeal sure about why ShiYanFeng is there aswell because unless it's someone else I was thinking of, last I heard he waas actually in Austin.
    Anyway, it gets pretty stupid even having these conversions with anti - shaoliners who refuse to read or train any of it and therefore never understand what the hell they're sprouting .. cheers anyway, and good luck with finding something.

Blooming Lotus
    Last edited by Blooming lotus; 3/15/2006 5:39pm at .

Posted On:
    3/15/2006 6:39pm

Style: BJJ, Judo, SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Funny thing about that Blooming Lotus, Selfcritical posted that he has a friend training in CMA in Austin and went so far as to mention the school and give a link, which was far more helpful than your "there is a monk in Austin". So I am guessing he may know a little about the styles.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast