Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    3/08/2006 6:51pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm only familiar with the Bjj places in town so I thought you wouldn't be interested in my recommendations. Many of the guys ay my dojo crosstrain though, so I will ask them about standup type places this week.

Offhand, I know Richard Lord's boxing gym has a good reputation.
    http://www.lordsboxing.com/

Edit:
    i
    Quote Originally Posted by Naszir
    in Austin you have Vandry BJJ up north
    Hey that's where I train. If you're interested in grappling, you'd be hard pressed to do better than Vandry Bjj here in Austin.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/08/2006 7:13pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shaolin-Do Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i'll check out Vandry, mainly b/c i'm going to have to start grappling at some point.

also, found a kajukenbo/mma/jkd/bjj place. dean goldade's the owner and main instructor. seemed pretty nice on the phone, i'm going to check out his place too. anyone know anything about him or his school?

http://www.kajukenbo-combatives.com/id17.htm

Posted On:
    3/08/2006 7:41pm

Style: gongfu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shaolin has some good stand up grappling skills.... there's a monk out your way someway but I keep hitting a virus here and can't find u the number. I think his name's Shi Yan Feng?? ... but then again I could also waaay off. It's probably worth having a look at and if you can ask about they offer in taichi and WC if anything, that'll probably support it aswell.

Blooming Lotus

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/09/2006 12:05am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^Ignore that post.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/09/2006 1:24am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ and then some

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    Offhand, I know Richard Lord's boxing gym has a good reputation.
    http://www.lordsboxing.com/
    That Lord's place is making me hope and pray to a god I don't believe in that I get into UT Austin.

There's no boxing in Bloomington, Indiana. *cries self to sleep*

Not over zealous, but just zealous enough. 病気の粗悪品

Posted On:
    3/09/2006 4:02pm

Style: Okinawan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know a guy who trains in the same system I do who lives in Marble Falls (near Austin). I don't think he has a school, but he built a dojo out behind his house on his land. I think he is 4th or 5th dan (been at it about 20-25 years).

This stuff in no sport. Don't get me wrong I like sports, I'm a football offical, but this is the old, classical stuff (older than Traditional Martial Artst). It is pre-Japanese (before 1850s) Okinawan. I can give you the guys name if you like.
    You can get in touch with him and see if he will be willing to teach you.
    People often tell me that I fail to see the gravity of the situation.
    I see the gravity, and I say...

Step right up folks and watch me defy gravity!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/09/2006 7:29pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shaolin-Do Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    definitely. old school okinawan is excellent for health and strengthening. marble falls is a ways off i think, but it'd be cool to be in touch with someone about it. :)

Posted On:
    3/09/2006 9:21pm

Style: gongfu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhamma
    I know a guy who trains in the same system I do who lives in Marble Falls (near Austin). I don't think he has a school, but he built a dojo out behind his house on his land. I think he is 4th or 5th dan (been at it about 20-25 years).

This stuff in no sport. Don't get me wrong I like sports, I'm a football offical, but this is the old, classical stuff (older than Traditional Martial Artst). It is pre-Japanese (before 1850s) Okinawan. I can give you the guys name if you like.
    You can get in touch with him and see if he will be willing to teach you.

aaww.. don't b sad fat bastard... u can eat.. we'll just tease u or make u work harder is all..........

Anyway, what the hell do u mean Rhamma "older than the traditional stuff"??!!?? U just tried 2 convince us what youuu're talking about is traditional!!.and u clearly haven't read much because if u had, u'd know that those arts originated in China and culminated at Shaolin.... including Okinawan martial artistry......

So anyway.. I reiterate... if u reeally want to up your grappling skill, check out the Austin monk . A. for satori ( speed developement based zen environmental awareness for the martial artist ) , B. practical applications, and also for when you do get close enough to clinch and aren't fast enough not to geeet clinched, some taichi/ wc for apps to get out of it asap that other arts aint gon give you.
    Ignore it don't.. just don't say u weren't told.
    cheers
    Last edited by Blooming lotus; 3/09/2006 9:33pm at .

software engineer

Posted On:
    3/09/2006 11:59pm

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yokumo:
    Blooming lotus is nuts, so take anything she says with a grain of salt.

Not over zealous, but just zealous enough. 病気の粗悪品

Posted On:
    3/10/2006 10:10am

Style: Okinawan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't worry folks I take everything with a grain of salt.

Like they say arguing on the internet is like running in the special Olympics...
    even if you win you are still retarded.

I have read extensively, and yes Chinese MA had a huge influence on Okinawan MA. Japanese are the ones who came up with the name karate.

For karate, I'd recommend the following:

Karate-do, My wary of Life by Gichin Funakoshi (ISBN 0-87011-241-4 Kodansha). It's an autobiography of Funakoshi and contains some historical information.

Unante, the secret of karate by John Sells (H.M. Hawley, 822 Gould Avenue, Holliwood, CA 90046). Contains history about Okinawa karate.

Okinawa, the history of an Island People, by George Kerr. This is a history book commissioned to be written to capture the history of Okinawa after WWII. I believe that it has been re-published. You can search Amazon.com to find it.

Sword and Brush, the secrete of the martial arts by Dave Lowery (ISBN 1-57062-112-8) This is a book about Japanese Caligraphy and helps explain some of the kanji used in the martial arts.

There are other books by Patrick McCarthy and others; however, they have their own agenda and are not necessarily historically correct
    People often tell me that I fail to see the gravity of the situation.
    I see the gravity, and I say...

Step right up folks and watch me defy gravity!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast