Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/17/2006 7:54am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: WingChun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Imagine you beeing a wrestler who doesnt know anything but wrestling.
    You fight against an opponent who is said to be a brawler/ striker.

What would you do ? - Go for a takedown to avoid a Standup fight.

Isnt that some sort of Anti Striking ?

So the Wt Man tries to invent techniques to prevent being taken down, and to finish the fight standing. This is Anti Grappling. If this is reasonable or if it works is another question.

As said before, i do only believe in the WT ability for self defense on the street and not winning competitions. I think my Wt is good enough for a brawl with an opponent similar to my size.
    If someone on the street trys to take me down and really wants to grapple , which is really not the case very often, then i can use my Bjj (I'm only a beginner) or my friends kick his head or whatever.

Since i also like competitions i do crosstraining. Thats all

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    3/17/2006 7:58am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What about your _ing _ung is effective for the street that you cannot use in competition? How do you practice it at hard resistance?

Posted On:
    3/17/2006 8:45am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is not effective in competitions because it does not include groundfight.
    I practice with hard resistance, in the training with helmets and with my friends only with gloves.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    3/17/2006 8:52am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That only eliminates MMA, Judo and Sub-Wrestling comps.

Why wouldn't it be effective under Boxing, Kickboxing, Muay Thai, Kyokoshin, San Shau, or Kuoshu rules?

Posted On:
    3/17/2006 10:27am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why rules ? There are no rules on the street. If wt fights against karate, boxing, thai etc. both can win. Depends on the fighters skills.
    But i dont see advantages for anyone, boxing has clinch which isnt good on the street and has no kicks.
    I'd also say high kicks to the head are pretty risky on the street.

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    3/17/2006 10:29am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What specific rules in a striking competitions prevent you from using your skills (with the exception of groin shots and eye gouges)?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2006 3:39pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hope no one is seriously considering this video to be worth anything. The shoot of the so called "grappler" was horrible. So bad that I don't even believe he is a grappler at all. When I was a white belt in BJJ the first thing we learned about the shoot was to change your level. I'm not very good at all when it comes to takedowns and my double leg is way better than that. I must say thank you for the video but this in no way proves anything. Please try again WC.

Thanks.

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    3/17/2006 8:27pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

It can be and has been....

Quote Originally Posted by Locu5
    What specific rules in a striking competitions prevent you from using your skills (with the exception of groin shots and eye gouges)?
    Groin shotts and knee shots are pretty important, but anyway....

Elbows to neck, temple, and spine often forbidden

Large gloves get in the way

We wear shoes on the street

mouthpiece protects jaw joint from straight attacks

WT doesn't practice set up fighting (sparring/sport style) but responces to threats and real senarios (mugging, rape, robbery, ect...). This can be fixed with specific training for the ring, but is a disadvantage to people not trained in more of the "in and out" moving around a ring enviornment.

The main problem is the intent. WT trains with the intent of using it to maime and damage the enemy sinister. Sport fighting is something else.

That being said, it's not that big an issue and there is no reason WT can not be modified for sport fighting. It was done in the past in the Pre-UFC days, and has been done since. The real issue is finding someone that wants to do it....

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    Until the Bulltube is fixed:
    DTT vs Sirc

Posted On:
    3/17/2006 8:45pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlekin_Ger
    Why rules ? There are no rules on the street.

*sigh* ok i'll bite.

I'm not sure that is the point. The question is why, if it is so effective on the street, does _ng_un not produce numerous major fighters with consistent records in competitive matches or tournments.
    If it is useful in brawls and bar fights, there is no reason for it not be similarly effective in the safer environment of a ring. The environmental variables are no excuse.
    It is not as if other styles do not have so-called deadly techniques that have no place in a ring and hence are not deployed in sportfighting contexts. The too deadly bs is exactly that.
    Nor does the use in the ring of a boxer's punch, a grappler's submission or a solid kick to the knee necessarily imply those techniques are not effective on the street, or inferior to the deadly hand skills passed down from the Master of Awareness.
    Implicit in the distinction you draw attention to between the street and a competitive match is that training for the latter is more meritous than the other at least in terms of self defence. This is highly contentious, and debated at length in many threads at BS search RBSD for more on this. Here it is enough to say that competitive matches are an excellent place to test such an assertion, as the deadly street defense should shine in comparsion to the lowly arts. So far this has inexpilicibly not occured. Even aikido produced Delucia.

I think we are flogging a dead horse. Search _ng_un and you will find numerous threads on the subject, with many arguments from both sides. Trained hard, I'm sure it can be useful-but its ass must cash the cheques its mouth keeps making in a empirically verifiable way, or its just BS. I don't intend to comment further on the board as I think plenty of others already have- but if you would like to continue PM me.
    Last edited by BoardHitBack; 3/17/2006 8:50pm at .

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    3/17/2006 9:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Before the 1930s Muay Thai allowed headbutts, eye pokes and groin shots, in fact nut kicks were allowed right up until the 80s I think.

Bando (and other SE Asian boxing styles) still allow all of the above and more now.

The excuse is wearing thin, this 'too deadly' crap is becoming trite even to me, and I've only been on the site for 3 months.
    Last edited by Lu Tze; 3/17/2006 9:18pm at .
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 LastLast