Our Sponsors:

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/16/2006 3:10pm

Style: karate,MMA(between gyms)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hell i do karate, i do stand up fighting.

I ACCEPT THE FACT THAT A TAKE DOWN WOULD SCREW ME OVER!

Why cant other people?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2006 6:48pm

Style: Wing Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that all this talk must be getting through to the WT Sifu's, or at least mine. Since I've started we have had groundfighting for one class every week and last grading most of the senior students failed because their groundwork wasn't up to scratch (that is they got taken out by one of the bjjer that studies with us). I don't know how long this was happening before I started.

Of course I'd still be mauled by any wrestler on the ground, one and a half hours a week doesn't even compare, but at least I'd make it interesting for them :D

I'd be interested to hear what other WCers think anti-grappling is? When SiHing explains it to us he says that we call it anti-grappling because it emphasises the fact that being wrestled is what we're trying to avoid (especially me at my heavy weight 55kgs), then we launch into learning BJJ, Judo and other grappling techniques. I've never once been told not to grapple someone on the ground but reminded that when I have the chance to strike or get up to do so.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    3/16/2006 6:59pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who is teaching the grappling? Do you bring in someone qualified or just share tugs?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2006 7:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My SiHing has studied Judo and there are quite a few students that have studied BJJ. It appears to be legit, we learn positions and submissions and takedowns (both from standing and ground) as well as how to handle those situations.

I've had a wrestle with a BJJ mate from Melbourne when I was on holidays and although I was owned on the ground, i held my own for a bit.

Actually, if there are any people from here in Syd it'd be great to meet up and have a freindly, for my education of course.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    3/16/2006 7:40pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wax
    My SiHing has studied Judo and there are quite a few students that have studied BJJ. It appears to be legit, we learn positions and submissions and takedowns (both from standing and ground) as well as how to handle those situations.
    So you have no qualified instruction.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2006 8:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not there to study mma or grappling so not having a BJJ instructor isn't an issue for me. We learn what we do so we have some base on the ground. Later, after I am happy/bored with my WT abilities I'll start looking and rounding out my fight but for now I'm happy with what we do.

Posted On:
    3/16/2006 9:19pm

Style: BJJ/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whether or not you're trying to learn how to grapple or do MMA isn't the issue, the issue is the fact that you're trying to learn so called groundfighting (which reeks of RBSD) without having someone who knows that they're doing be the instructor.

Let me put it this way, what would your reaction be if a BJJ instructor thought that he could teach bits and pieces of Wing Chun just by looking through videos? Bet the Wing Chunners would scream that what's being taught is not being done by a qualified instructor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newb1 View Post

B) I could not beat a Judoka with Aikido. I could only beat an Aikidoka with Aikido. I thought that was understook.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2006 9:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As I said, SiHing has traind in wrestling arts, so has SiFu and both have had to train under Kernspecht (who is an ex wrestler). As well, students must pass the groundfighting sylabus (designed by Ker..) to progress, which includes holding their own against students from BJJ. This is qualification enough for me. Going to ground in my area and at my size is suicide reguardless.

If you still have a problem with this... too bad. I don't care. Now can anyone answer my question on why they think anti-grappling is other than grappling (albeit with a different intent)?

The offer still stands, if any wrestlers want to have a friendly in Sydney, PM me.

Posted On:
    3/16/2006 10:09pm

Style: BJJ/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wax
    If you still have a problem with this... too bad. I don't care. Now can anyone answer my question on why they think anti-grappling is other than grappling (albeit with a different intent)?
    Too bad since crosstraining is supposed to help you get out of the box instead of maintaining a martial arts circlejerk which seems what you guys are trying to keep up.

As for the anti-grappling, tell us why the idea of anti-striking would seem any less silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newb1 View Post

B) I could not beat a Judoka with Aikido. I could only beat an Aikidoka with Aikido. I thought that was understook.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2006 10:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anti striking wouldn't seem any less silly, which is why I rarely use the phrase anti-grappling. Another reason I want to know why other WCers do use it.

And any school which maintains their traditional art is keeping the circle jerk going. We are all aware that we arn't being taught every facet of fighting so you can stop clinging to your fantasy that all WCers are clueless zealots.
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 ... LastLast