Posted On:
    3/23/2006 10:45pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr._Tzun_Tzu
    So you wanna have a Chi Sau contest?
    Nope if it is directed at me. The rules are to confining and just as bad as Tai Chi sparring.

Yes, I've encountered Chi Sau and it is fucking stupid by most schools standards.

Right down to Jim Carey's you didn't attack me right BS.

Chi Sau is designed strictly to safely practice WT, it is not a Contset or sport. A Chi Sau Tournament was posted on here a few weeks ago and it got no understanding. They mocked the chest protectors but never bothered to wonder why would they want to protect the ribs over the heart?

Sport MMA has IT'S OWN RULESET.
    Understand that little push fest in the video? Be realistic that video is the worst display off Chi Sau I have seen EVER. So, if you are defending that steaming pile of crap I'm embarassed for your WT.

Thanks again for missing the point of my post.

A tournament is a contest.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 12:24am

Style: BJJ + Muay Thai n00b.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJu - Joe
    Anyone who thinks that level of contact merited wearing a chest protector is delusional.
    You're foregetting their chi-enforced jik chun chain punches that are too deadly to ever use in a real situation, let alone when they're together.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 2:36am

supporting member
     Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Dr Sun Tzu

Chi Sau is designed strictly to safely practice WT, it is not a Contset or sport. A Chi Sau Tournament was posted on here a few weeks ago and it got no understanding. They mocked the chest protectors but never bothered to wonder why would they want to protect the ribs over the heart?
    In chi-sao people don't really behave as in a real fight. The danger with doing too much chi-sao in relation to how much free sparring you do is that you "over-optimize" on opponents that goes along with the chi-sao pattern.

It is a drill, you can learn some things from it and it communicates the ideals of _ing _un but it can never replace free sparring with hard contact.

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 4:39am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So you wanna have a Chi Sau contest?

Sport MMA has IT'S OWN RULESET.
    This gets better and better. _ing _un is so dangerous you have to use Chi-sau to practice it?

This is getting delusional. As Aesopian put it, "Wing Chun is a disease that destroys rational thought."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 8:05am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, it's been delusional for a while now. While the __ing-__un-as-a-disease is funny, the truth is that like most TMAs its training methods are out-dated, its technical aspects stopped evolving (and keeping up with developments in the MA world) long ago, and its reputation rests mainly on legend. People promoting -- selling -- it, in the face of a complete lack of good results fighting, need some way to make it sound attractive. So they market it to people who don't want to (are afraid) fight, and then come up with pseudo-scientific ideas that sound good to these sorts of people, backed up with historical and legendary accounts of greatness, and explanations for why _ing __un people can't beat anyone decent (we're for street only, too deadly for the ring, etc.). In other words, _ing __un is a cult, and it brainwashes its more serious practitioners into staunchly defending the party-line, even in the face of overwhelming contrary evidence. This is why you can't talk to a _ing __un person rationally; _ing __un is the scientology of martial arts!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 8:11am

Style: kickboxing, judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No idiot, faceing anyone else on the street may involve a knife, or gun, or who knows. You gonna try to hug someone who may have a knife? What you practice should offer reasonable protection from a knife. Sports don't have to restrict themselves this way.
    you were answering to "what things that are forbidden hinder WC at being effective in the ring"(paraphrased) and you answered something with a hidden shank.....

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 7:24pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How do you know what kind of power they can generate?

A fast sharp elbow to the chest can break a rib (from the sternum) which can then rupture the heart cavity, stopping the heart do to blood pressure. There are also other reasons to block the sternum and heart from solid punches.

In this Tournament, which used Chi Sau as a base for the contest, it appears that face shots where not allowed, and that some kind of points where awarded for throws and solid strikes to the front of the chest. (Note: Chi Sau is a cooperative training drill. When made into a competion, it is called Kuo Sau or something, my Chinese is not that good and I don't feel like getting up to get the book on it out. Most people just call all of it Chi Sau, even the reflex skills it developes, but this is not accurate)

Thus, the target area was padded. The video doesn't get good untill the second half. (argueably these guys could do a few bench press to get some "padding" for the chest.....:) )

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 7:56pm

Style: BJJ/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A fast sharp elbow to the chest can break a rib (from the sternum) which can then rupture the heart cavity, stopping the heart do to blood pressure. There are also other reasons to block the sternum and heart from solid punches.
    So how long do the experienced Muay Thai and Kyokushin practitioners laugh after you tell them? There's even a longtime running video of a Wing Chun practitioners vs a Kyokushin Guy (Joko Ninomiya). The Wing Chun chain punches do nothing as Ninomiya just takes them all and ends up flattening the Wing Chun guy to the point where Ninomiya had to help carry him off.

Oh hell, how about telling that to us BJJ guys who are used to having constant pressure from the weight on an entire person's body on one's sternum from a knee?
    Last edited by Psycho Dad; 3/24/2006 8:00pm at .
    Quote Originally Posted by Newb1 View Post

B) I could not beat a Judoka with Aikido. I could only beat an Aikidoka with Aikido. I thought that was understook.

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 8:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

)
    I agree with you. This is why boxers die constantly when they get punched in the body.

Oh wait, they don't, and you're another delusional chunning apologist with the anatomical knowledge of a retarded invertebrate.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 11:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

In this Tournament, which used Chi Sau as a base for the contest, it appears that face shots where not allowed, and that some kind of points where awarded for throws and solid strikes to the front of the chest. (Note: Chi Sau is a cooperative training drill. When made into a competion, it is called Kuo Sau or something, my Chinese is not that good and I don't feel like getting up to get the book on it out. Most people just call all of it Chi Sau, even the reflex skills it developes, but this is not accurate)

Thus, the target area was padded. The video doesn't get good untill the second half. (argueably these guys could do a few bench press to get some "padding" for the chest.....:) )
    Come on DR. You don't honestly think those guys were hitting hard enough to to crack ribs into someones heart do you?
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 11 LastLast