3/10/2006 10:02am

supporting member
     Style: Spanish Rapier/Epee/Foil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Everyone has their insperation.

In the words of JTHM:
    "I HAVE HEAD EXPLODEY!!!"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6305131082.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	5397  

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    3/10/2006 11:29am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote
    the place teaches Muay Thai (Full Contact)
    what's the deal with the "(Full Contact)"?
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Your RBSD Cannot Save You Now.

Posted On:
    3/10/2006 11:32am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wanted to specify, since I am unsure as to whether there is any other type. I assume that there are some schools that teach a different type.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    3/10/2006 11:35am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wanted to specify, since I am unsure as to whether there is any other type. I assume that there are some schools that teach a different type.
    You're unsure as to wether there is muay thai that is not trained for full contact fighting? I ask, because there are schools that basically teach Full Contact Karate/American style Kickboxing and claim they're teaching muay thai (so I hear, anyway).
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Your RBSD Cannot Save You Now.

Posted On:
    3/10/2006 11:41am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know the guy, and he wouldn't be stupid enough to try and pull something like that. I will sit in on one of his classes, and if he is, I will take my buisness elseware.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2006 11:42am

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    You're unsure as to wether there is muay thai that is not trained for full contact fighting? I ask, because there are schools that basically teach Full Contact Karate/American style Kickboxing and claim they're teaching muay thai (so I hear, anyway).
    I heard this at a american krotty dojo once...

"We teach our kicks like Muay Thai kicks..."

Edit: Ok, more than once.

Office Drone

Posted On:
    3/11/2006 2:29pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    The REAL reason people get into martial arts is so they can live out their childhood fantasy of being able to kick ass like the ninja turtles (or whatever ass kicking icon fits their generation)
    rofl

On a slightly more serious note I think the major reason for MA nerdy lies in the fact that practicing MMA and MA in general is a major waste of time, like D&D or computer games. Overall, these kinds of activities appeal to the same kind of people. Why the **** should you train 6 days a week, 4 hours a day for MMA? Clearly it's not the money, which sucks, but your own desire and love of the sport. So, you must make sacrifices in your social life and cool **** like chasing ass, parties, drugs, vacations to exotic locales and generally nice style of life so you can try to fulfill yourself with something that is, for the most part, a useless and extraordinarily tiny slice of modern society. If you were beat up as a kid or just (probably more often) overall a shy and non-aggressive (socially) person, MMA has a great deal of appeal to fulfill your power fantasies. After seeing plenty of fighter interviews, you see more than a few guys like this.

Then you have the larpers, who, like in their D20 games, fill their usually decent minds with complete bullshit and discuss theories to no end just like they argue the myriad rules they've memorized from the Dungeon Master's guide. These are the failures of the nerds because instead of taking their lameness and turning into something badass, a la the first paragraph, they form what someone here dubbed a 'support group' to fantasize about the power of their lvl 20 warrior rather than try to live it a la the combat geek.

Posted On:
    3/11/2006 3:10pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Camus
    rofl

On a slightly more serious note I think the major reason for MA nerdy lies in the fact that practicing MMA and MA in general is a major waste of time, like D&D or computer games. Overall, these kinds of activities appeal to the same kind of people. Why the **** should you train 6 days a week, 4 hours a day for MMA? Clearly it's not the money, which sucks, but your own desire and love of the sport. So, you must make sacrifices in your social life and cool **** like chasing ass, parties, drugs, vacations to exotic locales and generally nice style of life so you can try to fulfill yourself with something that is, for the most part, a useless and extraordinarily tiny slice of modern society. If you were beat up as a kid or just (probably more often) overall a shy and non-aggressive (socially) person, MMA has a great deal of appeal to fulfill your power fantasies. After seeing plenty of fighter interviews, you see more than a few guys like this.

Then you have the larpers, who, like in their D20 games, fill their usually decent minds with complete bullshit and discuss theories to no end just like they argue the myriad rules they've memorized from the Dungeon Master's guide. These are the failures of the nerds because instead of taking their lameness and turning into something badass, a la the first paragraph, they form what someone here dubbed a 'support group' to fantasize about the power of their lvl 20 warrior rather than try to live it a la the combat geek.
    This is probably the best explanation I've head yet. Most anyone I know who is serious about their training is the textbook definition of a nerd.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    3/11/2006 3:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Muay Thai (full contact) is redundant. If it's not full contact then you're not doing Muay Thai, you're doing Tae Bo. :laughing7

Posted On:
    3/11/2006 3:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Camus
    rofl

On a slightly more serious note I think the major reason for MA nerdy lies in the fact that practicing MMA and MA in general is a major waste of time
    ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????

Are you alright there?
    If MA is a waste of time, then other, more "normal" pastimes like watching soaps/football is a more worthwhile endeavour?????