Page 14 of 16 First ... 410111213141516 Last
  1. #131
    Your RBSD Cannot Save You Now. supporting member
    Coyote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,190
    Style
    Spanish Rapier/Epee/Foil
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!


    Everyone has their insperation.

    In the words of JTHM:
    "I HAVE HEAD EXPLODEY!!!"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6305131082.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	5397  


  2. #132
    Torakaka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kaka village
    Posts
    10,642
    Style
    Kitty Pow Pow!!!
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote
    the place teaches Muay Thai (Full Contact)
    what's the deal with the "(Full Contact)"?
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

  3. #133
    Your RBSD Cannot Save You Now. supporting member
    Coyote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,190
    Style
    Spanish Rapier/Epee/Foil
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wanted to specify, since I am unsure as to whether there is any other type. I assume that there are some schools that teach a different type.

  4. #134
    Torakaka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kaka village
    Posts
    10,642
    Style
    Kitty Pow Pow!!!
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote
    I wanted to specify, since I am unsure as to whether there is any other type. I assume that there are some schools that teach a different type.
    You're unsure as to wether there is muay thai that is not trained for full contact fighting? I ask, because there are schools that basically teach Full Contact Karate/American style Kickboxing and claim they're teaching muay thai (so I hear, anyway).
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

  5. #135
    Your RBSD Cannot Save You Now. supporting member
    Coyote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,190
    Style
    Spanish Rapier/Epee/Foil
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know the guy, and he wouldn't be stupid enough to try and pull something like that. I will sit in on one of his classes, and if he is, I will take my buisness elseware.

  6. #136

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    987
    Style
    Yudo, Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    You're unsure as to wether there is muay thai that is not trained for full contact fighting? I ask, because there are schools that basically teach Full Contact Karate/American style Kickboxing and claim they're teaching muay thai (so I hear, anyway).
    I heard this at a american krotty dojo once...

    "We teach our kicks like Muay Thai kicks..."

    Edit: Ok, more than once.

  7. #137

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,738
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    The REAL reason people get into martial arts is so they can live out their childhood fantasy of being able to kick ass like the ninja turtles (or whatever ass kicking icon fits their generation)
    rofl

    On a slightly more serious note I think the major reason for MA nerdy lies in the fact that practicing MMA and MA in general is a major waste of time, like D&D or computer games. Overall, these kinds of activities appeal to the same kind of people. Why the **** should you train 6 days a week, 4 hours a day for MMA? Clearly it's not the money, which sucks, but your own desire and love of the sport. So, you must make sacrifices in your social life and cool **** like chasing ass, parties, drugs, vacations to exotic locales and generally nice style of life so you can try to fulfill yourself with something that is, for the most part, a useless and extraordinarily tiny slice of modern society. If you were beat up as a kid or just (probably more often) overall a shy and non-aggressive (socially) person, MMA has a great deal of appeal to fulfill your power fantasies. After seeing plenty of fighter interviews, you see more than a few guys like this.

    Then you have the larpers, who, like in their D20 games, fill their usually decent minds with complete bullshit and discuss theories to no end just like they argue the myriad rules they've memorized from the Dungeon Master's guide. These are the failures of the nerds because instead of taking their lameness and turning into something badass, a la the first paragraph, they form what someone here dubbed a 'support group' to fantasize about the power of their lvl 20 warrior rather than try to live it a la the combat geek.

  8. #138
    Tenebrous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,415
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Camus
    rofl

    On a slightly more serious note I think the major reason for MA nerdy lies in the fact that practicing MMA and MA in general is a major waste of time, like D&D or computer games. Overall, these kinds of activities appeal to the same kind of people. Why the **** should you train 6 days a week, 4 hours a day for MMA? Clearly it's not the money, which sucks, but your own desire and love of the sport. So, you must make sacrifices in your social life and cool **** like chasing ass, parties, drugs, vacations to exotic locales and generally nice style of life so you can try to fulfill yourself with something that is, for the most part, a useless and extraordinarily tiny slice of modern society. If you were beat up as a kid or just (probably more often) overall a shy and non-aggressive (socially) person, MMA has a great deal of appeal to fulfill your power fantasies. After seeing plenty of fighter interviews, you see more than a few guys like this.

    Then you have the larpers, who, like in their D20 games, fill their usually decent minds with complete bullshit and discuss theories to no end just like they argue the myriad rules they've memorized from the Dungeon Master's guide. These are the failures of the nerds because instead of taking their lameness and turning into something badass, a la the first paragraph, they form what someone here dubbed a 'support group' to fantasize about the power of their lvl 20 warrior rather than try to live it a la the combat geek.
    This is probably the best explanation I've head yet. Most anyone I know who is serious about their training is the textbook definition of a nerd.

  9. #139
    BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer. Join us... or die

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    W. Yorks, UK
    Posts
    4,999
    Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote
    I wanted to specify, since I am unsure as to whether there is any other type. I assume that there are some schools that teach a different type.
    Muay Thai (full contact) is redundant. If it's not full contact then you're not doing Muay Thai, you're doing Tae Bo. :laughing7

  10. #140
    Odacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    3,632
    Style
    Bits and pieces
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Camus
    rofl

    On a slightly more serious note I think the major reason for MA nerdy lies in the fact that practicing MMA and MA in general is a major waste of time
    ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????

    Are you alright there?
    If MA is a waste of time, then other, more "normal" pastimes like watching soaps/football is a more worthwhile endeavour?????

Page 14 of 16 First ... 410111213141516 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO