222259 Bullies, 3521 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 101 to 110 of 155
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 12131415 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Truculent Sheep is offline

    KEIN HAAR APPROVED!

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    972

    Posted On:
    3/09/2006 3:44pm


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkpaladin
    Dude, far too complicated....
    Nature tends to follow simple rules. If anything, these seperate timelines would collapse into one timeline Shrodinger's Cat style once a major change is made (or on a minor scale, a scar gained in the past instantaneously appearing in the future). The different timelines can't coexist forever.

    And yeah, the T-1M was freakin awesome.
    It depends on the kind of timeline. If you're referring to the variety in Donnie Darko then yes, they would collapse into one or be superseded. (If you assume said timelines serve a therpeutic purpose for damaged space time.)

    However, the timelines in the Terminator series are more like seperate universes that one can travel between if one's own universe is mostly akin to the one you're going to. (If they were too different, you might simply cease to exist when you travelled to the universe where, for example, gravity works in reverse or a right angle is actually 87 degrees, as the physics that sustain you fall apart.) That would explain why there are so many Skynets sending so many Terminators to kill so many John Connors: the timelines/universes in question are so close that they may as well be imperfect copies of one another.
  2. Darkpaladin is offline
    Darkpaladin's Avatar

    The r34l Drunken Jiu Jitsu

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,193

    Posted On:
    3/09/2006 4:20pm

    supporting member
     Style: _razilian _iu _itsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Truculent Sheep
    It depends on the kind of timeline. If you're referring to the variety in Donnie Darko then yes, they would collapse into one or be superseded. (If you assume said timelines serve a therpeutic purpose for damaged space time.)

    However, the timelines in the Terminator series are more like seperate universes that one can travel between if one's own universe is mostly akin to the one you're going to. (If they were too different, you might simply cease to exist when you travelled to the universe where, for example, gravity works in reverse or a right angle is actually 87 degrees, as the physics that sustain you fall apart.) That would explain why there are so many Skynets sending so many Terminators to kill so many John Connors: the timelines/universes in question are so close that they may as well be imperfect copies of one another.
    But it's time travel, not trans-dimensional travel. The most you can get out of this is divergent timelines (which can be considered an alternate dimension for a short period of time), which will alter, but not split the original timeline. The only possible argument for a completely seperate universe is to prove some form of time-based anti-paradox theory (Skynet's losing and sends back Terminator, Terminator kills John Conner in the past, Skynet has no reason to send back Terminator, John Conner isn't killed in the past, Annatrocity performs a rising high block (lol), Skynet's losing and sends back Terminator, continue ad infinitum). These universes would have to be created though, as it would be impossible (even with an infinite number of alternate universes) to hit one that similar to the prime timeline.

    And I always thought of Donnie Darko as more of a prophetic dream sequence than as time travel.

    For more research on divergent timelines and collapsing waveforms along the timestream, see "Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey"

    edit: And a right angle is a naming convention only, so there.
    Last edited by Darkpaladin; 3/09/2006 4:32pm at .
    :google:

    Number of bottles of beer downed by me and my girlfriend within a half hour while playing the Channel 7 "how many times will they say 'snow' game" during the "Blizzard of '06": 3.5 each.
  3. Coyote is offline
    Coyote's Avatar

    Your RBSD Cannot Save You Now.

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,190

    Posted On:
    3/09/2006 4:55pm

    supporting member
     Style: Spanish Rapier/Epee/Foil

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any meddling in the time stream would inherantly create an alternate future.
    Once Skynet sent back the original terminator, they created a reality where they won. This was counteracted by the resistance sending back Reese.
    Reese's intervention created a timeline where Connor lived and experienced the events of T2 where basically the same thing happened.
    While past events are being affected by an agent of the future, several realities exist in potentia.
    Untill the drama plays out, the future could be damn well anything.
    Once the actions of the future agents are complete, a new time stream is formed untill the intervention of another agent.
  4. Coyote is offline
    Coyote's Avatar

    Your RBSD Cannot Save You Now.

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,190

    Posted On:
    3/09/2006 4:57pm

    supporting member
     Style: Spanish Rapier/Epee/Foil

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is concievable that the timelines caused by sending each agent back continue unabated, splitting into several different future realities that are able only to affect their own past.
  5. VikingPower is offline
    VikingPower's Avatar

    Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4,993

    Posted On:
    3/09/2006 5:21pm

    supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I missed the thread where Kat fought Jabba and knocked her ass out.

    Watched the video. Nicely done, Kat!
  6. Darkpaladin is offline
    Darkpaladin's Avatar

    The r34l Drunken Jiu Jitsu

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,193

    Posted On:
    3/09/2006 5:25pm

    supporting member
     Style: _razilian _iu _itsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote
    Any meddling in the time stream would inherantly create an alternate future.
    Once Skynet sent back the original terminator, they created a reality where they won. This was counteracted by the resistance sending back Reese.
    Reese's intervention created a timeline where Connor lived and experienced the events of T2 where basically the same thing happened.
    While past events are being affected by an agent of the future, several realities exist in potentia.
    Untill the drama plays out, the future could be damn well anything.
    Once the actions of the future agents are complete, a new time stream is formed untill the intervention of another agent.
    Impossible.

    If change were that instantaneous, then the resistance would have never known who John Conner was. In fact (as shown in T3) the resistance's existance is heavilly dependant on the survival of John Conner. They also could not send Reese back to save John Conner if he never existed because they would never be able to identify the root of the problem, John Conner's termination, as he never existed.

    Several realities existing in potenia is quantum waveform theory (Shroedinger's Cat for example, as we've been talking about). In extreme theory, yes, these potential realities actually exist until the telling event actually transpires (i.e. the Cat is both alive and dead in the box) and is "witnessed", then the waveforms or alternate potential realities collapse into the superceding reality. In the far less quantum physical world we live in, those potential realities exist only potentially, not in actuality.
    :google:

    Number of bottles of beer downed by me and my girlfriend within a half hour while playing the Channel 7 "how many times will they say 'snow' game" during the "Blizzard of '06": 3.5 each.
  7. Darkpaladin is offline
    Darkpaladin's Avatar

    The r34l Drunken Jiu Jitsu

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,193

    Posted On:
    3/09/2006 5:28pm

    supporting member
     Style: _razilian _iu _itsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Koto_Ryu
    I missed the thread where Kat fought Jabba and knocked her ass out.

    Watched the video. Nicely done, Kat!
    That thread in fact exists in an alternate universe where Kat did not adopt the Terminator motif that spawned this elaborate debate on quantum temporal theory.

    ...search function noob...
    :google:

    Number of bottles of beer downed by me and my girlfriend within a half hour while playing the Channel 7 "how many times will they say 'snow' game" during the "Blizzard of '06": 3.5 each.
  8. Torakaka is offline
    Torakaka's Avatar

    Do you eat breakfast?

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kaka village
    Posts
    10,658

    Posted On:
    3/09/2006 5:33pm

    supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    this thread has gone well beyond recommended levels of dorkdom
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm
  9. Darkpaladin is offline
    Darkpaladin's Avatar

    The r34l Drunken Jiu Jitsu

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,193

    Posted On:
    3/09/2006 5:39pm

    supporting member
     Style: _razilian _iu _itsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    this thread has gone well beyond recommended levels of dorkdom
    Yeah, but I make dorkdom sexy. :icon_cool
    :google:

    Number of bottles of beer downed by me and my girlfriend within a half hour while playing the Channel 7 "how many times will they say 'snow' game" during the "Blizzard of '06": 3.5 each.
  10. Torakaka is offline
    Torakaka's Avatar

    Do you eat breakfast?

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kaka village
    Posts
    10,658

    Posted On:
    3/09/2006 5:45pm

    supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    when I first started criticising the ability for the 2nd and 3rd terminators to travel through time, that was dorky.

    When Kat posted her response, explaining how it was possible for them to travel through time, that was really dorky.

    When people started talking about snot covered tanks and cows with a phase plasma rifle in their stomach, that was pushing the boundaries of ultra dorkdom.

    When people started debating alternate timelines/dimensions, we just broke into the realm of EQ convention level dorkdom.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 12131415 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.