Bullshido's Greatest Ninja

Posted On:
    3/16/2006 12:46am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: JJJ/Judo[Nidan] BJJ[Blue]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    I really just wanted to quote the name because one day at work I overheard an aikidoka taunting someone with "grab my wrist and say that". I laughed. Hard.

OMG.....I just cramped from laughing.

Posted On:
    3/16/2006 12:46am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, GRAB MY WRIST wins the newbie username of the week award.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2006 1:33am

Style: Jabs & Cross Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    Yeah, GRAB MY WRIST wins the newbie username of the week award.
    Err.... thanks Phrost, you made me all warm and fuzzy. That makes me feel so welcome at bullshido.

I know some of the posters think the moniker GRAB MY WRIST is funny. I do too... honestly. I came across this phrase while lurking at AIKIWEB and it made my day then.. I am glad it made yours.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    3/16/2006 5:41am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAB MY WRIST
    Unrealistic attacks and response? Come on UpaLumpa, you have to make such statements in context. I can also argue similarly BJJ response is unrealistic. Is rolling on the ground lock in tight embrace with your opponent realistic in multiple uke randori? How realistic is that? BJJ is good for its specific scenario, just do not be too myopic.

Why would a shomen uchi be unrealistic. To me, an uke holding a tanto (wooden training knife) in an ice pick grip coming at me with full speed, trying to plunge the training tanto into my chest is pretty realistic, the other more realistic alternative being the uke holding a live knife which for training purposes is TOO REALISTIC for me. Interesting idea it may seem, I have to pass at such REALISTIC training opportunity And that UpaLumpa is the basis for the shomen uchi attack.

Need I go further? All I am saying is, realism or not is contextual. Nothing is absolute or exactly black and white, even in martial art training.

Unrealistic response? An example of response to the above mentioned attack is Ude Grami. As a BJJ'er you should know Ude Grami, as it is a standard text book technique found judo and I am sure BJJ, seeing how BJJ derived its core syllabus from judo. It is also a textbook technique in Yoshinkan aikido. Seeing how the arts overlap at certain areas, just do not be so quick to dismiss its ineffectiveness without thinking in context.

They have a different name for ude "grami" in bjj town. But rest assured, they can and will apply it, so hard your mom will feel it from across town.

Please enlighten us as to the realistic multiple uke randori in aikido.

I think "GRAB MY WRIST" Is actually a pretty funny name.
    Last edited by JohnnyCache; 3/16/2006 5:48am at .
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    3/16/2006 3:03pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unrealistic attacks and response? Come on UpaLumpa, you have to make such statements in context. I can also argue similarly BJJ response is unrealistic. Is rolling on the ground lock in tight embrace with your opponent realistic in multiple uke randori? How realistic is that? BJJ is good for its specific scenario, just do not be too myopic.
    The context is that most of the attacks against which Aikido are unrealistic (e.g. massively exagerated overhead judo chop, single reverse punch not retracted).
    BJJ is quite realistic for what it is intended to deal with: fighting on the ground and taking the fight there. That's something I've seen happen a lot in "real" fights too. Few BJJ practicioners would argue that it covers the gammut of situations.

Why would a shomen uchi be unrealistic. To me, an uke holding a tanto (wooden training knife) in an ice pick grip coming at me with full speed, trying to plunge the training tanto into my chest is pretty realistic, the other more realistic alternative being the uke holding a live knife which for training purposes is TOO REALISTIC for me. Interesting idea it may seem, I have to pass at such REALISTIC training opportunity And that UpaLumpa is the basis for the shomen uchi attack.
    Having someone do a single lunge and effectively stop is unrealistic. Executing techinques against halfassed uncommited attacks is unrealistic. I've never seen Aikido practiced against a crisp one-two (or even a crisp retracted jab or cross).

Need I go further? All I am saying is, realism or not is contextual. Nothing is absolute or exactly black and white, even in martial art training.
    No, not really. You're incorrect and it is apparent to anyone who has been in fights and been to aikido seminars.

Unrealistic response?
    The response is exagerated ukemi, even in the absence of an overwhelming reason to do so.
    An example of response to the above mentioned attack is Ude Grami. As a BJJ'er you should know Ude Grami, as it is a standard text book technique found judo and I am sure BJJ, seeing how BJJ derived its core syllabus from judo. It is also a textbook technique in Yoshinkan aikido. Seeing how the arts overlap at certain areas, just do not be so quick to dismiss its ineffectiveness without thinking in context.
    I've got all the context I need. The fact of the matter is that most aikidoka lack an appropriate delivery system to execute a proper keylock/americana/kimura/chickenwing/udegarami/hammerlock.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    3/16/2006 3:07pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Virus.. now I see your point. In your post #40, last picture, I see a the woman putting on a pretty decent ude grami on the uke. That is why I am wondering what is so disasterous abt it and assume that you were meant to say that it was disastrous for the Uke. But anyway, now I see your point.
    That sort of standing udegarami is a freaking joke. Extend your fucking arm and itsdone. Hell if you maintain posture you're fine too.

Then you can suplex them too since they were stupid enough to turn their back, or since Aikido is so concerned about weapons and so effective in dealing with them, stab them repeatedly in the back.
    Last edited by UpaLumpa; 3/16/2006 3:25pm at .

Not over zealous, but just zealous enough. 病気の粗悪品

Posted On:
    3/16/2006 3:17pm

Style: Okinawan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
    Actually I want to ask you a personal question but I'll wait till you get your post count up so I can pm you.
    Why don't you actually throw some money down and become a supporting member?

Then you can PM to your little hearts content!

*free loader
    People often tell me that I fail to see the gravity of the situation.
    I see the gravity, and I say...

Step right up folks and watch me defy gravity!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2006 3:46pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Back to Slindsay saying the throws will not work on you. I guess to be fair, you have to be honest with the tori and tell him/her upfront "Your technique did not work on me". That is what I tell my partner. If they don't get my kuzushi, I am not going to ukemi.
    Yeah but this was the instructor doing it and I when I raised the point I was told that I had to roll out because if I didn't then I wasn't being co-operative or something like that.

I'm trying to remember there exact words but I can't however trust me, it was actually more retarded than that.

Posted On:
    3/16/2006 3:47pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm really sad that no one seems to have gotten my Professor Wormbog joke.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    3/16/2006 3:52pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought it was wonderful.

The funny part of this board is that a BJJ bluebelt or higher also seems to imply a more sophisticated sense of humor. Looking at my school, I never would have guessed.
    Last edited by UpaLumpa; 3/16/2006 3:56pm at . Reason: Arrogance
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 910 LastLast