Exasperated.

Posted On:
    3/15/2006 8:41pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by eidolic_paul
    That said, I myself have been guilty of over-committed attacks (and under-committed and utterly incompetent attacks), and everything in-between. Aikido is principle based, IMO, so its ability to work effectively seems to vary from practitioner to practitioner.
    Due to too many years in similar flavored arts I know your code.

Let me feed this text through the decoder....

Got it!

That said, I myself have been guilty of over-committed attacks (and under-committed and utterly incompetent attacks), and everything in-between because I don't know how to fight. Aikido is fantasy based, IMO, so its practicioners don't know how to fight.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    3/15/2006 8:42pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A lot or all of the pictures are of people taking ukemi, which is the way in which people receive a technique by using a motion that allows them to quickly and smoothly recover from said technique. It is a training tool. No one I know of that studies Aikido actually expects the person receiving a technique in a "real life" encounter to be thrown through the air in a graceful breakfall. In "real life" you'd hear a crack and generally see something very quick and messy. But people seem to 'know' this, in my experience, when they're training, or at least at the dojo I study at.
    It has nothing to do with ukemi. It has to do with unrealistic attacks and responses.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2006 11:46pm

Style: Jabs & Cross Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Porrig
    FTR, I practise aikido at an (mostly) Iwama style dojo and prior to that had a number of years in aikikai affiliated dojos. I'm not trolling. There's a LOT of totally **** aikido around.
    Your experience differs from mine. I will believe you, **** aikido do happen... and I am happy I don't belong to one right now. I also realised that my aikido practice may not suffcient on its own to handle well trained player. That is why I supplemented it with Kodokan Judo, hoping to cover gaps in areas that are lacking, which would have taken much much longer if I were to do aikido alone.

My outlook is such, take what is good from aikido but never think that they are the end all and be all. Cross training is good, I will stop now.. I sound so cliche. I am embarrased.

Quote Originally Posted by slindsay
    All the throws I was shown would not have worked on me (And indeed did not) unless I went along with them, in fairness, I don't think I ever heard the phrase "Self defence" used once in the whole time I was there.
    It did not work on you? Then did you voice out your concern? Why did you went along with the ukemi then? Look, in training, sometimes the technique work, sometimes it did not. As you one gets better, the number of times the technique does not work decreases. That is all, experience count.

Similarly, in judo randori. Sometimes I get to throw my sensei and most of the times it is the other way round. On the occasion I did get to ippon him, does it mean I am better than him or rather he sucks at judo? No... randori is just a training method, to better one self. Just like training in kata, or doing a drill. They are all just training methodology.

Back to Slindsay saying the throws will not work on you. I guess to be fair, you have to be honest with the tori and tell him/her upfront "Your technique did not work on me". That is what I tell my partner. If they don't get my kuzushi, I am not going to ukemi.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    3/15/2006 11:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aikido is awesome. I used the deadly handshake defense today in BJJ and it paid off wonderfully.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Posted On:
    3/16/2006 12:07am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Aikido (Aikikai Hombu)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    Due to too many years in similar flavored arts I know your code.

Let me feed this text through the decoder....

Got it!

Nice quote, and your BJJ OompaLoompa is goddamn terrifying. As to the substance of your quote, I can see where you're coming from but I think it's sort of straw-man. I don't claim to 'know how to fight'. As to judging other aikido practictioners as being unable to fight, I didn't generalize that of everyone because I don't believe it applies to everyone. I wasn't trying to be diplomatic, in other words.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2006 12:13am

Style: Jabs & Cross Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    ...<snip>... It has to do with unrealistic attacks and responses.
    Unrealistic attacks and response? Come on UpaLumpa, you have to make such statements in context. I can also argue similarly BJJ response is unrealistic. Is rolling on the ground lock in tight embrace with your opponent realistic in multiple uke randori? How realistic is that? BJJ is good for its specific scenario, just do not be too myopic.

Why would a shomen uchi be unrealistic. To me, an uke holding a tanto (wooden training knife) in an ice pick grip coming at me with full speed, trying to plunge the training tanto into my chest is pretty realistic, the other more realistic alternative being the uke holding a live knife which for training purposes is TOO REALISTIC for me. Interesting idea it may seem, I have to pass at such REALISTIC training opportunity And that UpaLumpa is the basis for the shomen uchi attack.

Need I go further? All I am saying is, realism or not is contextual. Nothing is absolute or exactly black and white, even in martial art training.

Unrealistic response? An example of response to the above mentioned attack is Ude Grami. As a BJJ'er you should know Ude Grami, as it is a standard text book technique found judo and I am sure BJJ, seeing how BJJ derived its core syllabus from judo. It is also a textbook technique in Yoshinkan aikido. Seeing how the arts overlap at certain areas, just do not be so quick to dismiss its ineffectiveness without thinking in context.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    3/16/2006 12:33am

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Aikido is awesome. I used the deadly handshake defense today in BJJ and it paid off wonderfully.

it only worked because i tried to aikido you first and in aikido the attacker always loses, just like that karate guy that came in the other day said.

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    3/16/2006 12:36am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAB MY WRIST
    "Your technique did not work on me". That is what I tell my partner. If they don't get my kuzushi, I am not going to ukemi.
    What if he buys you dinner first?

BWA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HAHAhaha . . . ha? Heh?

Right . . . sorry . . . could not resist . . . I will go away now. . . .

--J.D.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    3/16/2006 12:39am

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=GRAB MY WRIST.[/QUOTE]

I really just wanted to quote the name because one day at work I overheard an aikidoka taunting someone with "grab my wrist and say that". I laughed. Hard.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    3/16/2006 12:41am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    it only worked because i tried to aikido you first and in aikido the attacker always loses, just like that karate guy that came in the other day said.

Aikido, only for defense!
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 8910 LastLast