--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    3/08/2006 6:18am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

You see, Aikido is for the street. We train for multiple attackers.

"Through the study of several budo arts, asceticism and mediation
    "Morihei Ueshiba" the founder of Aikido succeeded in recreating the true roots of the martial arts, which is the harmony between man and nature. " - www.aikido-dojo.net

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2006 2:46pm

Style: Sombo, Judo, San Soo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know Aikido is for the gay and all but this has taken it to a Bob Fosse level of gayness.

Knee + Head = Black Eye * 2

Posted On:
    3/10/2006 7:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    "Through the study of several budo arts, asceticism and mediation
    "Morihei Ueshiba" the founder of Aikido succeeded in recreating the true roots of the martial arts, which is the harmony between man and nature. " - www.aikido-dojo.net
    I hate hippies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    Imagine if track was run like the martial arts community. While the winning teams would just sprint down the field, smoking the competition, you'd have a bunch of losers running around explaining how they can skip down the track just as fast. Never mind that it doesn't fucking work. Oh no, they're too fast for track. They run on the STREET.

Posted On:
    3/10/2006 7:21pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I'd have to say that by far, the overwhelming majority of aikido pics I've seen are disaster. Fucking chi throws. :bsflag:

Posted On:
    3/10/2006 7:28pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK I've found some good stuff on AikiWeb:

"The extent to which this had become true was made obvious when the Ultimate Fighting Challenge was first televised pitting exponents of the Gracie Jiu Jutsu system against practitioners from various other martial a styles. The resulting total dominance of the grapplers over the strikers was and still is seen by many to mean that the mixed martial arts are superior fighting systems and that on some level their exponents are more able to "fight" in some hypothetical "street" confrontation than the misguided souls who are training in more traditional styles.

This conclusion is misplaced and represents an almost total misunderstanding of what combat and even street self defense is all about. Despite the representation that these are "no holds barred" encounters, the fact is that the competitors are professional athletes who encounter each other on the competition circuit. There are a whole set of stated and unstated rules about what is appropriate in these fights. One does not see the types of striking techniques which exist in combat oriented martial arts targeting vital points. The use of these would produce serious injury and these competitors all know that if they utilize any techniques of that sort, these techniques will in turn be used against them. The same is true of joint oriented techniques as found in traditional jiu jutsu which are designed to destroy the joints, connective tissues and even limbs of an opponent. These competitors are not, in truth, trying to injure or kill each other but are instead trying to defeat each other in a fairly rough and tumble form of sport martial art.

The fact that the most devastating and disabling techniques are not used in mixed martial arts competitions gives a distinct advantage to competitors who are larger, stronger and have a high pain tolerance. This allows fighters like "Tank" Abott of UFC fame to win the title when their only real qualifications are that they can take more punishment than any human being should be able to take. Further, the fact that these competitions are limited to empty hand confrontation and are not geared for the weapons environment serves to further separate them from the realm of real violent confrontation.

One of my students was acting as a role player [heh, LARPer] at our local police academy when he was taken to the ground by a cadet who had studied Gracie Jiu Jutsu. As the cadet went for the classic sit out arm bar, the role player simply reached in and grabbed the cadet's "blue gun" which was on his belt as it would have been on the street. "Bang! You're dead" produced a look of consternation as the cadet realized that his much practiced sport grappling moves were completely inappropriate for combat in a weapons environment.

...So what is my point? I would maintain that these arts (BJJ, Mixed Martial Arts, Pancration, what have you) have no more to do with combat and "street" fighting than Aikido does. They all share the same basic problem from the standpoint of combat, namely, they aren't practiced in a weapons environment. People in Aikido are largely of the impression that their art is an empty hand form of self defense. They fail to remember that the art came directly from its parent art of Daito Ryu Aikijutsu which had been created out of the traditional combat art of the Aizu clan as interpreted by Sokaku Takeda."

http://www.aikiweb.com/columns/gledyard/2005_03.html

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    3/10/2006 7:49pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To truly appreciate the unbeatable power of Aikido, we need to see pictures of their most intense technique: taking twenty-minutes to fold their pants.

--J.D.

P.S. Which pretty much did it for me an Aikido. A gi was always something to "wear," to train in. Before gis caught on or were imposed in Okinawa, practitioners simply trained in their underwear--which makes for some really interesting pictures.

I worked in an Aikido group because I liked one of the head students. I noticed the rituals and all of that which seemed rather pretentious. I was also unable to "get" the "yielding," not to mention the basic, "why the hell would I do that?"

Out of respect, I kept quiet.

Then . . . I saw the pants.

I ridicule pratictioners who wear sweats, t-shirt, but MUST wear a "krotty belt." So what is the purpose of the Magic Pants? First, I was explained not just anyone can have Magic Pants. Second, even if you are "someone" you have to wait until you earn the black Magic Pants.

"What is the big deal?"

I was told that the Magic Pants "hid" your movements.

"Do you plan to kick or something?"

"No."

"Then why would I care?"

I was given a newsletter that told a "wonderful" story about how "O-Sensei" reamed out a student for failing to remember his Magic Pants [Of Doom.--Ed.]. Apparently, Ueshiba wasted time that could have been better spent breaking a sweat by training or by bowing obsequeously by explaining the Symbolism of the Magic Pants [Of Doom.--Ed.]

Every crease had meaning.

Now I was prepared to "chalk that up" to over-eager students. In my style, someone tried to argue that the "Original"--and, therefore, invincible--style was "designed" for the underwear! This lead many to speculate that we should quickly strip to our tighty-whities when confronted in the street! One woman practitioner "revealed" that she trained in the Secret Dojo where they all train the "deadly" moves as intended in g-strings and pasties.

So, perhaps I should not judge Aikido so harshly: pretentious fools exist in any organization.

Some may think I exaggerate the Aikido-ka fascination with their Magic Pants [Of Doom.--Ed.] However, this is, apparently, "official policy":

Some may say it looks like a skirt. Some, a divided skirt used for riding. To others, it is the honor earned through years of dedication, practice and respect for the principles of Japanese martial arts. What I am talking about is the Hakama.

Originally used as outerwear for the protection of a horseman’s legs (much like cowboy chaps) from weeds, brush and chafing, the hakama was used only by the proud samurai warriors. In those times, leather was difficult to be had thus necessitating the use of heavy cloth instead.

After the mounted samurais were converted to on-foot warriors, the samurais continued to wear the hakama for the purpose of easy distinction above other classes.

Now, as a standard part of the garments worn in martial arts schools, the hakama stands as a symbol of the Samurai codes and principles and an honor bestowed upon "yudanshas" or black belts.

There are seven folds of the hakama, each with their own symbolic meaning of seven values.:

1. Yuki - courage, valor, bravery
    2. Jin - humanity, charity, benevolence
    3. Gi - justice, righteousness, integrity
    4. Rei - etiquette, courtesy, civility (obedience)
    5. Makoto - sincerity, honesty, reality
    6. Chugi - loyalty, fidelity, devotion
    7. Meiyo - honor, dignity, prestige:gay:

In the traditional teachings of O-Sensei Morihei Ueshiba, all students of the martial arts, particularly Aikido, should wear the hakama referring to the "Dogi" (shirt and pants uniform) as underwear. Many stories have been told of how O-Sensei chastised students coming to class without their hakamas. For him, it was like the students askimg him to teach them martial arts in their underwear.

"The hakama prompts us to reflect on the nature of true bushido. Wearing it symbolizes traditions that have been passed down to us from generation to generation. Aikido is born of the bushido spirit of Japan, and in our practice we must strive to polish the seven traditional virtues."-O-Sensei

Due to the rigidity of O-Sensei’s requirement, some of his students relate how, with the difficulty of procuring cloth for the hakama due to poverty, they would take old futon covers and fashion then dye these into black hakamas. While these proved to work for a while, the stuffings came out eventually. Also, with the cheap quality dye eventually fading, the original colored patterns of the futon would emerge making the dojo "colorful" with the various colored hakamas.

In modern times however, some schools have opted to bestow the honor of wearing the hakama only to the black belt students. Some allow female students to wear hakamas earlier than their male counterparts in preservation of modesty seeing as "gis" were viewed as underwear.

Magic Pants of Doom
    After reading a similar steaming load in that pamphlet, I politely became "too busy" to return to classes.

I can only imagine what signals I sent with my wrinkled sweat-stained gi. . . .

--J.D.

Posted On:
    3/11/2006 7:51am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

HONEY BADGER!

Posted On:
    3/11/2006 8:16am

Style: Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    3/14/2006 2:53am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Aikido is not a way to fight with or defeat enemies; it is a way to reconcile the world and make all human beings one family." -Ueshiba

I think the guy in the background just realised it's all bullshit.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast