Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/23/2006 7:53am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Slapping the ground during ukemi.

In bujinkan I was taught not to slap and to take the fall with your body, or use the legs. (sorry, can't explain verbally how to do it.) In the judo and BJJ circles slapping is the standard procedure for ukemi. I am taught to slap in BJJ when being taken down like this:

but so far I have not noticed any significant difference, which makes me tend towards not slapping. Only one time I felt it helped when someone caught my kick and launched me backwards during bujinkan, I instinctivly did a double slap when my back hit the gound and it felt like it helped soften the fall. Like this:

(The instructor joked about it as the bujinkan sensei out there take a dim view of slapping.) During wrestling (through my shooto and grappling classes) no mention has been made of slapping, IIRC I don't believe wrestlers slap.

What are people's views on the slap vs no slap? Has anyone here had the chance to compare? Is there any evidence that favours slapping? What about lava?

We do have this one in the bujinkan, it is sort of a slap.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2006 9:38am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In Judo you learn to slap, I think it has something to do with dissipating part of the energy and redirecting it to the floor or something, it's pretty much instinct by now, I don't even think about it.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/23/2006 10:01am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You'll have to rehost judoinfo.com images elsewhere. They don't allow hotlinking.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2006 1:44pm

Style: JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think it really matters if you slap or not on the mat. Most of us can take a pretty hard fall on a mat and get up no problem, so for sport the slap isn't as much of an issue, I can attest to a slap helping while ice skating. Concrete, hard ground, ice... I'd recommend a slap over non-slap, competition on mats it doesn't matter much (prolly why never taught in wrestling) but if you don't practice it, you won't do it reflexivly.

Ukemi is my most used of any martial arts technique I have ever learned. Maybe I'm just a klutz. I'm sure it has saved me more bodily injury than anything else. Including a nasty spill from a motorcycle accident, tuck and roll..... but in that one at that speed there was no slap, just my body bouncing repeatedly and trying to stay relaxed.

So for the record, slap, maybe it helps, maybe it doesn't, but it doesn't do you any additional harm.

The r34l Drunken Jiu Jitsu

Posted On:
    1/23/2006 2:00pm

supporting member
     Style: _razilian _iu _itsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's all fun and games until someone breaks an arm...
    :google:

Number of bottles of beer downed by me and my girlfriend within a half hour while playing the Channel 7 "how many times will they say 'snow' game" during the "Blizzard of '06": 3.5 each.

Posted On:
    1/23/2006 2:22pm

Style: MMA, JKD philosophy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm doing the booj again right now, and I'm changing my Shooto slappy breakfalls into the no slappers the Ninjas use. It's quieter 'cause you don't smack the ground or mat. Ninjutsu is a stealth based art, afterall. That's the only reason. Well, that and hitting concrete (and the mythical lava, glass, etc.) hurts.

Posted On:
    1/23/2006 2:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are times when it comes in handy, I was watching a Judo comp recently and a guy stuck his arms out and nearly broke one instead of break-falling.

Posted On:
    1/23/2006 2:32pm

Style: MMA, JKD philosophy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, you see skateboarders and BMXers get their skinny forearms snapped sticking them out to catch themselves all the time. In the booj we're supposed to tuck really tight in the roll, that's the crux of the technique.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2006 2:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have slipped on ice before and literally saved myself from getting KTFO by slapping and tucking my chin.

Another time I kicked the heavy bag when there was water on the concrete floor. I slipped and fell right on my back. The funny part is, I slapped the ground with my left hand instinctively, but my right hand did not hit properly and that side of my body hurt somewhat. This is most likely due to the fact that most people throw you right handed, so you would break your fall with your left.

I don't think it's a matter of slapping the ground, however. It's a matter of dispersing the force all over your body to avoid injury in one place (for instance, if you bend your elbow while doing a break fall, you could screw up your shoulder).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2006 3:08pm

Style: JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bad credit
    Yeah, you see skateboarders and BMXers get their skinny forearms snapped sticking them out to catch themselves all the time.
    Yes sticking your arm out to catch yourself is a dumb idea, but that isn't what we are talking about, we are talking about slapping during a ukimi to disapate force. You do not catch or brace yourself with that arm, that gets them broke.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast