Hopkins Outpoints Ramos for Title

Sat Mar 4, 1:11 AM ET

PHILADELPHIA - Demetrius Hopkins unanimously outpointed Marios Jose Ramos to capture the U.S. Boxing Association junior welterweight title Friday night.

Hopkins (23-0-1), of Philadelphia, took control of the fight in the third round. He hit Ramos (16-2-1), of Phoenix, with a flurry of powerful right hands throughout the fight, although none sent him to the canvas.

"I felt I could've taken him out a couple of times, but he had a hard head," said Hopkins, the nephew of former undisputed middleweight champion Bernard Hopkins. "Once I got in a groove, I was throwing the right hand like a jab."

In the other featured bout, Miguel Figueroa (24-5-2), of Camden, N.J., and Larry Mosley (15-1-1), of Los Angeles, fought to a draw in a bout for the vacant North American Boxing Organization welterweight title.

Figueroa was the aggressor throughout the fight, despite badly injuring his right hand on an uppercut punch in the third round.

"I was only able to throw lefts. I couldn't even use my right hand," Figueroa said, his bruised hand soaking in ice. "I was more effective when we were boxing inside but I couldn't do a lot with my right hand."

Mosley's strategy was to counterattack and land shots to Figueroa's body. He landed some of the biggest blows of the fight, including a right hook in the eighth round of the twelve-round fight that appeared to stagger Figueroa.

"I'm disappointed because I thought I did enough to pull it out, but it's hard coming into his territory and getting a decision," Mosley said.

In other bouts, Chazz Witherspoon (10-6, 7 KOs), of Philadelphia, stopped Rodney Ray (4-4), of New York, in the second round of their heavyweight bout; Kaseem Wilson (2-0, 1 KO), of Philadelphia, stopped Gary Drayton (4-13-1), of Philadelphia, in the first round in a welterweight bout; Charles Cavallo (8-0, 2 KO), of Trenton, N.J., stopped Jason Medina (1-6), of Moline, Ill., in the second round of their welterweight bout; Mike Jones (2-0, 2 KO), of Philadelphia, stopped Cris Gray (1-2), of Vero Beach, Fla., in the second round of their welterweight bout; and Rock Allen (6-0), of Philadelphia, outpointed Arthur Brambilla (8-6), of Phoenix, in a junior welterweight bout.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060304/...N5bnN1YmNhdA--