ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    3/06/2006 10:29pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Schutt
    Mr. Jones was not banned from the dojo because of postings on Aikiweb. He was also never "ordered" to do anything. There were many reasons he is no longer a member, but it ultimately comes down to the fact that we were not compatible.

. . . as he was asked to leave. . . .
    Curious contradiction.

Nevertheless, one should not mourn leaving a bad situation. It is hard to do that emotionally of course, and there is the legitimate desire to warn others.

The statement do not post something on the internet you do not wish to defend in court is a good standard to remember. Do schools or organizations have a "right" to criticise what a student/member writes? Depends. If I started posting attacks on particular members of my style, started using the names of my seniors, I am sure my seniors would be upset, particularly if I gave the impression that I conveyed their opinion or the opinion of the organization. That is the same in any professional situation. There are "fools," but sometimes it is best to be diplomatic. What I mean by that is "Sensei Baka" may be a "fool," but unless he is a fraud, you merely give the impression to his students that they are unwelcome by your group.

[At this point he launches into a self-indulgent discussion on keeping doors open. We cut it for the sake of sanity.--Ed.]

However, it is also irresponsible to think a group can control the opinions and thoughts in such a way as described. The gentlemanly response would have been--as HERE--to rebut the opinions of Mr. Jones on the Aikiweb or wherever. So long as Mr. Jones has made it clear he does not "write for" anyone but himself, then I do not see the problem: his opinions either stand or fall on their merits. Indeed, the attempt to limit these suggests that perhaps he had a legitimate point.

--J.D.

Ex-ninja

Posted On:
    3/07/2006 12:41am

Style: Muso Shinden Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    People said the same thing to me. But it does take some time before you can get over the feeling of betrayal.
    You know what helps? Training. Seriously. Once you find something better to put your time and effort into, the bitterness gets beaten (or in my case, thrown) out of you.
    --
    L.

Posted On:
    3/07/2006 12:54am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    People said the same thing to me. But it does take some time before you can get over the feeling of betrayal.
    I think for you it is a little different than it would be for him. You train in the same martial art, probably see your old teammates at competitions, etc etc.

If this kid changes martial arts, he probably won't run into many of his old classmates, probably won't have the same frame of mind, blah blah blah.

Just a thought, anyway.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2006 1:19am

Style: Krav Maga, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyd

Also, could you explain to me why you'd go for the armbar from here when your conscience is screaming "reverse omoplata"?
    Or maybe "stomp on his fucking head".

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    3/07/2006 1:37am

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
    Okay I'm calling bullshit right now... just wants to agitate me.
    ... That half ass **** you pulled on Aikiweb isn't going to cut it here. Remember that ****? ...can't say some ****.
    I'd say though that if this is how you acted to what seemed to be a kindly and respectable (though possibly falsified as you claim) post from a former teacher, then there is no way most MA schools would want you around.

Dagon Akujin

P.S. That wouldn't fly in a krav maga school, let alone an Aikido school. :XXphyhsas

Posted On:
    3/07/2006 1:49am

Style: wagamichi shorei kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by schadenfreude
    Or maybe "stomp on his fucking head".

Or shoot that ************ in the back of the head with a throw down jennings .22 .....did I say that out loud?

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    3/07/2006 10:12am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most of what I've learned in aikido comes down to philosphy. For one its not about hurting your opponent, but 'showing him the way'. Most aikido dojo's have their own views on this, from not hurting anyone, to group think japanafiles (or however you spell it) to even more just take this pain until you learn how to reverse me schools. The truth lies somewhere inbetween. If your views are not compatable with the views of your teachers, then you need new teachers. It sounds like it was time for you to leave. The letters seem odd and overly dramatic, if you were really asked I would of told them to get bent.

I've trained aikido for a good deal of time. My instructor belives in ki. He also is a huge fan of MMA fighting, and the one who got me into watching seriously. We spar from time to time (although not often enough). He encourages people like me who really want to fight to take jujutsu or judo. And is open to all sorts of ideas about combat. He is clear that although he loves watching mma competition, that aikido is not for fighting. Its for a better way to live your life. If you wish to train to fight, he will recommend a good judo school or juijutsu school or even a good mma gym. I would say aikido boarderlines on a religion more then a martial art. Yes there are some effective techniques. I've used them against guys in my judo and bjj classes. But most of aikido training is about learning how to live. Like any culture or religion you have to believe in their core principles or you really dont belong. I think this is what happened. I see this happening to me. I though I wanted a way of life, but I found that my real goal was to get in shape, sweat a lot, and get into competition seriously. When I am done with aikido I will just tell my instructor that I have different goals, rather then try to argue his beliefs.

Posted On:
    3/07/2006 12:41pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiyushinkai Aikibudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is no need to check your email, Mario, this is the real me. I'm not big on lying, either in person or on the internet. You know that.

I only posted to address a couple of points that I felt needed to be cleared up. I'm not really keen on discussing the details of a private matter on a public forum. However, I will post to correct what I believe are inaccuracies.

Of course "the truth" lies somewhere in between our two points of view. That is a given for almost any situation and there is nothing that can be done about that. Everyone is free to post whatever they wish and no one is trying to control or limit that.

I have moved on and am continuing to train as best I can. I hope you can do the same.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    3/07/2006 12:56pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will not be content until there is a DIC here.

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    3/07/2006 2:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What does DIC stand for? I'm still not convinced it's Will Schutt. The comment about not having to sign up for three months and saying Will didn't even ask for the letters of apology raised my eyebrow.
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 9101112 ... LastLast