225109 Bullies, 3621 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 82
Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Omega Supreme is offline

    Administrator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    22,986

    Posted On:
    3/04/2006 6:21pm

    staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Crappling defined:

    Sometimes new words are coined or we need to spell out the parameters in which we understand things. Recently the idea of anti-grappling came along. We defined anti grappling a long time ago as grappling with the idea of not wanting to stay on the ground or go down to the ground. Therefore anti-grappling is grappling, making the term extremely stupid, especially here at bullshido. Anti grappling is usually used by stubborn stylists refusing to get with the times and learn tried and true techniques looking more into their system than to other systems to solve their problems, but that's a different issue.

    Now we have "crappling" by my definition it goes a bit like this:

    I "Mr. American Karate fuckhead" go out and take a seminar on bjj basics. I roll around with some friends until I'm tapping them on a regular basics, I think I'm good enough to teach this at my school so I do. You are a student of mine and you hear that I'll be teaching grappling. Yay, I'll go learn.

    This is crappling. To put it in a different light it would be like learning to do kickboxing from a yellow belt in WTF TKD. He's going to out kick you but what else will he be able to do?

    If you want to get together with your friends and practice grappling that's fine, should always be encouraged. You should be encouraged to fight from bad postitions. As soon as you learn from a substandard instructor though it becomes crap, bullshit or rather bullshido. If your instructor has a group just for practice and he/she is still training with a valid instructor that's a bit different though not by much. And if he has the instructor come every once in awhile but has classes on a regular basis it's not crappling.

    So if you are practcing crappling you need to stop now and shoot your instructor, if you are teaching crappling you are on the wrong site and you should leave.:eatbaby:
  2. NSLightsOut is offline
    NSLightsOut's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    858

    Posted On:
    3/04/2006 10:06pm


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your definition is interesting, especially considering that the bulk of my training was conducted under an instructor who spent a month or so out of each year for twelve years training under his instructor in Brazil, with no support from any other grappling instructors in Australia whilst training BJJ.

    He started up a training group in Australia, and maintains to this day that he has learned a great deal from rolling with his students, a change noted by his training partners when they either come over here for seminars or he returns to Gracie Barra to train.

    He has the competition results to prove he is no crappler. My school's competition results show it as well.

    My question is: At what point do we separate crappling and grappling?
  3. Omega Supreme is offline

    Administrator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    22,986

    Posted On:
    3/05/2006 1:09am

    staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NSLightsOut
    Your definition is interesting, especially considering that the bulk of my training was conducted under an instructor who spent a month or so out of each year for twelve years training under his instructor in Brazil, with no support from any other grappling instructors in Australia whilst training BJJ.

    He started up a training group in Australia, and maintains to this day that he has learned a great deal from rolling with his students, a change noted by his training partners when they either come over here for seminars or he returns to Gracie Barra to train.

    He has the competition results to prove he is no crappler. My school's competition results show it as well.

    My question is: At what point do we separate crappling and grappling?
    Not the same, he continued his training and you said he started a "training group" , which I clearly defined. I mean how much money was he charging while he was still in training? If the answer was none in the beginning until he started becoming good than the point is moot.
  4. NSLightsOut is offline
    NSLightsOut's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    858

    Posted On:
    3/05/2006 5:15am


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll find out at what point he actually started charging for teaching. I think he only began teaching for a living in the late 90s, when he was either a purple or brown belt. Whether he was charging people for training before that I have no idea, but at that period of time BJJ was almost nonexistent in Oz.

    My question would better be defined as this: Would 'crappling' be better defined by the local standard of competition? I know that there are cases of BJJ white belts teaching grappling in isolated areas where there is no other teaching source for them to resort to.

    So as a result, which of these three examples do you believe better exemplifies crappling?

    1. Karate teacher 'rediscovering' grappling/groundfighting in kata, when he is an area surrounded by competent grappling instruction?

    2. Kickboxer/Random MAist in an isolated area with no competent grappling instruction picking up some instructionals and proceeding to put together a
    training group, where members pay for instruction/upkeep of equipment?

    3. Random TMAist takes grappling art, proceeds to 'rediscover' grappling in forms, writes a book, conducts seminars, makes a fair amount of cash into the deal.
  5. Omega Supreme is offline

    Administrator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    22,986

    Posted On:
    3/05/2006 11:44am

    staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NSLightsOut

    So as a result, which of these three examples do you believe better exemplifies crappling?

    1. Karate teacher 'rediscovering' grappling/groundfighting in kata, when he is an area surrounded by competent grappling instruction?

    2. Kickboxer/Random MAist in an isolated area with no competent grappling instruction picking up some instructionals and proceeding to put together a
    training group, where members pay for instruction/upkeep of equipment?

    3. Random TMAist takes grappling art, proceeds to 'rediscover' grappling in forms, writes a book, conducts seminars, makes a fair amount of cash into the deal.
    1. Yes

    2. Pay for instruction yes/upkeep or mat time no.

    3. hell yes.
  6. slamdunc is online now
    slamdunc's Avatar

    Extraordinarily Ordinary

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,167

    Posted On:
    3/05/2006 10:58pm

    supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NSLightsOut
    Random TMAist takes grappling art, proceeds to 'rediscover' grappling in forms, writes a book, conducts seminars, makes a fair amount of cash into the deal.
    I'm liking this one. Where can I sign up for a weekend seminar? I could use the extra $$$.
  7. Fitz is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    875

    Posted On:
    3/06/2006 12:48pm


     Style: Judo, Tomiki Aikido, ??

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc
    I'm liking this one. Where can I sign up for a weekend seminar? I could use the extra $$$.
    You know it is only a matter of time before someone starts a "Grappling for TMA" learn from home DVD series to allow people to "rediscover" the grappling already contained in their arts.
  8. MattJ is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    229

    Posted On:
    3/06/2006 2:59pm


     Style: JKD , Spirit Fingers

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *wipes head*

    Whew! Thanks for clearing that up, Omega! I promise not to teach crappling for money!

    *whispers to everybody else*

    What the hell was that all about? Is there a BJJ technique to defend against hurt feelings? :sad11:

    *Sobs softly*
  9. milwaukee cop is offline
    milwaukee cop's Avatar

    Welterweight

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    milwaukee
    Posts
    814

    Posted On:
    3/07/2006 11:56am

    supporting member
     Style: Kempo-Goju Karate, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    how about say, a karate instructors student asks, "sensei, can you show us some groundfighting" and sensei replies " im not qualified, but we could go to seminars and review training tapes if there is enough club intrest." would they be crappling?
  10. Fantasy Warrior is offline
    Fantasy Warrior's Avatar

    Misguided style basher

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,714

    Posted On:
    3/07/2006 3:04pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think there needs to be a quality factor in the equation. crap grappling is obviously crappling, but if it ain't crap, even if it fits other indicators.....????
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

    just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM


    Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/
Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.