Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/06/2006 5:53pm

Style: karate,MMA(between gyms)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dont know if the term 'weaker' really works though.

Essentially Kyokushin teaches same stuff other karate does; they just happen to do WAY more realistic training and drills and approche on kata.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/06/2006 7:36pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA/BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AAAhmed46
    I dont know if the term 'weaker' really works though.

Essentially Kyokushin teaches same stuff other karate does; they just happen to do WAY more realistic training and drills and approche on kata.
    There are some subtle, yet powerful differences in the mechanics of the kicks in KK vs. Shotokan.

A lot of modern Shotokan looks very stylized to me, to the point that it sacrafices power and flexibilty of execution.

The big thing that makes a KK guy more of a fighter than your average JKA Shotokan guy is the conditioning and sparring.

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    3/06/2006 8:21pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some worshippers of the art rather than the practice believe that a "Traditional" [Tm.--Ed.] martial art developed into pristine perfection in a lotus garden, remained perfect for thousands of years, then recently we all fucked it up.

"If ONLY we practices like Grand Master Po did, then WE would be invincible . . . and ****!"

In reality, even "traditional" karate styles were cobbled together with borrowing/stealing and comparing. AAAhmed46 brings up using pads and the like. Well, back in the day they did what they could. At some point, people started moving to dancing kata. As if dancing the kata will magically imbue one with the abilty to fight. It is a nice and wonderful fairy-tale, but I prefer the one that involve me, Nicole Kidman, and chocolate sauce.

Along with being a hack martial artist, I am a hack drummer [No one cares.--Ed.]. I find a great deal of comparison between martial arts, "krotty," and drumming. I had a good teacher who was a student with Mel Torme--yes, the Velvet Fog could really drum . . . he was a singer . . . a crooner you young whippersnappers!--anyways he told me to come early one Saturday, stay the day, "and watch the idiots." According to him, "real musicians" have the paying jobs on Saturdays--weddings, funerals, bar mitzvahs--that fund the fusion-folk-jazz-punk band that plays at night in the bar.

Right, there was indeed a lot of odd people. One of them I will not forget. He was searching for fill of Gene Krupa playing "Sing, Sing, Sing." One of the more famous drum solos that gave prominence to the drummer over the bunch of pansies in the front. Basically, he thought if he could somehow match Krupa's sticking . . . he would become Krupa!

I am serious.

I have seen people approach kata the same way--if only they could dance exactly like Grand Poohbah did . . . then they would become Grand Poohbah.

The answer of course was Krupa played it differently everytime. The point is not learning rudiments but making music. In the seminal version, he "winged" the entire thing because the band did not expect the audience reaction. "If it was not for the piano player, we would have been fucked!" he explained.

Try to tell the guy that. He did not believe it. So he would go back home, look at tape, try to match sticking . . . and believe his fantasy. He will never actually play.

--J.D.

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    3/06/2006 10:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What the hell are talking about ?
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Posted On:
    3/07/2006 12:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah im wondering the same thing.

Docter X: Your a uechi guy; are you aware of Jim Malony and Van Canna? Thier pretty badass teachers. I like how they made uechi modern.

Posted On:
    3/07/2006 8:56pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, it is probably good my computer crashed because I doubt my response [Pretentious and verbose.--Ed.] made any more sense.

I basically wanted to give an analogy to those who think practicing the basics make them a "master." For a drummer, rudiments--proper fingering, stick control, position, et cetera--are important because one will always be limited by technique. However, if you never play . . . you are not a musician. A "hack" drummer who plays in a band will tend to play better than the "dedicated student" who never plays. Similarly, the "scrapper" will often beat the "martial artist" if said artist never practices free sparring, kumite, whathaveyou.

Quote Originally Posted by AAAhmed46
    Your a uechi guy; are you aware of Jim Malony and Van Canna? Thier pretty badass teachers. I like how they made uechi modern.
    I have had the pleasure of training with Jim Maloney and Van Canna, more Mr. Canna.

--J.D.

Posted On:
    3/11/2006 11:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My teacher; Rick wilson; is really really influenced by Jim Malony; and he and Van Canna communicate frequintly online; and give eachother tips.

If you want to talk with Van Canna; go to www.uechi-ryu.com and go to VAN CANNA's self defence section in the forum.

Posted On:
    3/11/2006 11:59pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We talk on the phone.

--J.D.

Posted On:
    3/12/2006 1:32am