Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/04/2006 11:44pm

Style: karate,MMA(between gyms)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey....muay thai let some boxing sink into it self; and it took the art to another level!

Posted On:
    3/04/2006 11:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kyokushin has some MT influence, so its not a big deal.

Posted On:
    3/05/2006 12:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think karate has a chance of surviving without putting in muay thai or boxing into it(though that would improve the arts alot) if they just do lots of hard sparring and pad work.

Posted On:
    3/05/2006 12:26am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That would lead to putting some boxing, at least, in it.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    3/05/2006 9:20am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pw0ned
    Adding MT isn't evolving with the times. Improving and changing "krotty" itself will make it evolve with the times.
    Yes it is. Things don't evolve out a vacuum, specially Martial Arts.

Dude, you do Judo, thus you should know that Judo evolved out of several branches of JJ, plus some here and there of Western Wrestling. As times changed, Kano added, refine, and changed stuff. Same with Kyokushin; hell, even the same with TKD with its roundhouse kicks (as per the article you referenced in that other thread:)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pw0ned
    Evolution is adding things to something from somewhere else, is changing OR dropping things from something due to external pressures to something else, it is staying the same and either endure like the horseshoe crab or dissapear into oblivion.

Judo is not the same now as it was decades ago, and neither BJJ, KK, MT or any other martial arts... crap, or ANY ART for that matter. If this particular school is adding MT to their krotty game and making it more effective, why not, and why not call keep it under the same name, krotty or some other hocus-pocus name? Why not?

It may not be even adding stuff to their krotty. They may just be borrowing sparring and conditioning ideas from MT. Or they may just be keeping the krotty stuff that works... who knows. But I seriously doubt that in this particular school (or in any other school going through the same) is not evolving, experimenting and playing around with the different disciplines they have.

So yes, adding MT (either fighting techniques or sparring/conditioning techniques) to krotty (or to any other striking art) is evolving. Whether that works or not, that's another matter, but it is evolving.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    3/05/2006 12:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mashing stuff that you saw in a K-1 fight on to your training is not evolving. Make sure the people training you know their stuff, otherwise you'll end up with the striker's equivalent of crappling (crapstriking?).

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    3/05/2006 12:46pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by odacon
    Mashing stuff that you saw in a K-1 fight on to your training is not evolving. Make sure the people training you know their stuff, otherwise you'll end up with the striker's equivalent of crappling (crapstriking?).
    Absolutely true. Not sure if you are replying to the thread in general or to my post regarding Khral's school in specific.

If it's the former, then you are right, just as there is such a thing as crappling, there is such a thing as crapstriking - I would call it "scratching" cuz it has a nice ring to it.

If you are referring to my post regarding that school that has krotty, MT and grappling classes, well, I'm not going to that school, but I saw Roger Khral at the AFC 15 - he is putting his mouth and money on MMA tourneys. In his last bout (the one I saw at the AFC), he neatly KO'ed his opponent - with a possibility that I may be wrong, I would take that as indication that this particular school knows what its doing and/or is moving in the right direction.

Schools like that are, in my opinion, where MA natural selection will have an effect on krotty. Change? Dissapear? Only time will say.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    3/05/2006 12:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm just replying in general, if you're MA is going to evolve it has to have a source from which to learn. And that source has to be qualified.

Posted On:
    3/05/2006 2:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good points elnyka

But at the same time; there is also finding alternative use for older techniques to help krotty keep up.

Chambering for instance; i have yet to use it for actually striking and generating power.

But i noticed, it makes a great way to grab a guy and bring up forward, or yourself forward; even better when you use your other arm with it and you can turn it into a take down.

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    3/05/2006 11:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alot of people put **** on karate. WHat they fail to understand is that there are differnt styles. Kyokushin Karate and it's offshoots are what karate is meant to be.

No nonsense,full contact fighting with harsh training. Thats what its all about.
    Real fighters understand this which is why they go towards your harder contact styles like Kyokushin or kickboxing/Muay Thai.

Eventually it will get to the point where people will recognise the weaker styles for what they are. Sub standard martial arts which award rank to people with no fighting ability. Its starting already and it will only get bigger.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast