Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    3/01/2006 7:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Crappling – a good or bad trend

With the popularity of MMA/grappling increasing, many mainstream stand-up arts are incorporating elements, typically as a minor part of training. Often the quality and content of this is very poor, leading to the term “crappling”.

Example in point: Hung Leng Kuen kung Fu, UK. I am not going to make any comment as to the quality of the grappling, you make your own mind up.
    Grappling demo: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...26&q=grappling
    Grappling in sparring (watch the whole vid, it appears in several places, along with a light saber sequence, lol): http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...32&q=hung+leng

Not withstanding the dubious quality of typical crappling, do you think that this gradual shift in focus is a good thing for MA?
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

Posted On:
    3/01/2006 7:28pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it's too early to tell. If the crappling in standup arts convinces people to start cross training, then it could be good.

More likely, crappy ground fighting will soon be integrated into the mythos of whatever retarded art you want to reference, and we grapplers will suddenly find out that Shaolin Do has been pulling guard since 89 AD. Soon after that, McDojos everywhere will convince their students that they are too deadly to spar real grapplers. Or that the grappling they use is only intended for T3h Str33t, and that the stuff real grapplers do doesn't work anywhere except the ring. Which is, coincidentally, the only opporunity we will get to grapple with them, thereby reinforcing our belief that crapplers can't crapple, and their belief that spending too much time on the ground is gay.

But in all seriousness, no, they should be doing real grappling taught by real instructors.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    3/01/2006 7:28pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a good thing. This means I will never be the worst grappler in the world. And my ego NEEDS that assurance.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2006 7:32pm

Style: judo, boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WTF? These guys could NOt handle the eleven year olds in my youth wrestling group. They are totally delusional. When I studied with a bullshido artist he had some of this crap in his repertoire. It is useless against a reasonably skilled grappler this stuff is craptacular crappling. Hence I converted back to wrestling and took up submission grappling when I started working club security. Thanks for this entertaining if not somewhat redundant thread. :bunny:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2006 7:39pm

Style: TKD; BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I almost chose "It's better than not grappling" because my TKD assistant instructor is probably better at grappling than a non-grappler when he has never really trained in grappling outside of TKD. However, then I remembered he had done some Jiujitsu seminars, and he was one of the most athletic guys at my TKD school. And everyone else at my TKD school who does crappling completely sucks. I can tap pretty much anyone in my TKD school (except one huge wrestler) with 6 months of BJJ, and I'm 17 years old and 185 lbs.

So no, this is a bad thing. Until I started doing BJJ I thought, like everyone else at my TKD school, that we were actually learning effective grappling moves. Now I know better, and I'm trying to show others the light too. It's dangerous to think you know how to defend on the ground when you really don't. (an example of our crappling was a mount escape that was simply bridging straight up, and the guy mounted rolls over the other guy's head)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2006 7:40pm

Style: judo, boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I watched the 2nd vid I wasn't going to post again but I felt compelled. First off it is an insult to Nirvana. Second, I wished these guys where near Oklahoma so we could invite them to a throwdown. There are at least a dozen people on this board alone who could probably stomp the two toads sparring at the same time. (If in doubt refer to throwdown vids). And that is without a doubt the goofiest looking sparring sessions I’ve seen this side of a TKD dojang. :angry9:

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    3/01/2006 7:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At leaste the people in the first video have admited to themselves that there is a need to know how to grapple and aren't trying to defend against it with the deadly anti-grapple.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2006 7:55pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ya. Seriously, that **** stank.
    I voted no, but like Raynor, I've got mixed feelings.
    But Garbanzo Bean is probably right about the 'too deadly' stuff, too.
    If it gets someone to go out and learn real grappling, that's good. But I think all this crappling does more harm, really.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2006 7:55pm

Style: TKD; BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Raynor - if you were doing decent upa drills and the like as crappling, that doesn't sound that bad. It got you some grappling skills. When I started BJJ all the stuff I learned at TKD went to hell because none of it worked.

Genius

Posted On:
    3/01/2006 8:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kickcatcher
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...32&q=hung+leng

Not withstanding the dubious quality of typical crappling, do you think that this gradual shift in focus is a good thing for MA?
    Sad thing about that demo video is that they think they look cool and tough.

No, crappling is like any other bullshido. It gives a false sense of ability.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." – Voltaire.
Page 1 of 11 1 2345 ... LastLast