Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nunchaku

13 19.40%
  • Tactical Torch

11 16.42%
  • Kung fu bench

4 5.97%
  • bladed Coat rack (3-dragon trident from Choy Li Fut)

5 7.46%
  • Kobutan (keyring accessory)

1 1.49%
  • Caltrops (for dropping in enemy's path, ninja styleee)

4 5.97%
  • Chopsticks

9 13.43%
  • Batleth (of Klingon fame)

8 11.94%
  • Other (please state)

12 17.91%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/05/2006 7:35pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hapkido_keith
    A bench, chopsticks, torch/flashlight, even a fan are all weapons of opportunity; you use what you have at the time. The fact that whole arts have been developed around them is surely silly, but when I'm attacked by surprise next time I'm at the noodle house, jabbing my chopsticks into the eye of my attacker might be an option. I may be wrong, but I don't think even the people that teach these kind of arts would advocate going onto the battlefield with a bench, fan or pair of chopsticks. I've hit a heavy bag with chucks and I think I could control them, and they make a concealable weapon of greater range and impact power than a stick of the same length (plus the entangle ability if you buy that stuff). The Batleth is surely stupid, but at least it's one solid piece and it's sharp; you could do some damage with it.
    None of these would be my first, or second or even thirtieth choice of weapon to bring to a fight, but at least you could use all of them in the way they were intended or they are common enough to be an impromptu weapon (fans were very common back in the day).
    But the 3SS simply has no purpose other than gimmick. It's not concealable, it's not readily available as a common object (you have to WANT to carry one of these things) and it takes too long to gain proficiency and I think it is generally inferior to sword and spear for it to be a battlefield weapon. Being that no video had ever been produced of anyone using one of these things in a realistic (i.e. not a pre-arranged routine) manner, I don't think it CAN be used in an effective way against anyone but the greenest of LARPing ninjer wannabes.

edited to fix typo
    Just to be fair no video has been provided of a Batleth being used in a realistic manner either.

Posted On:
    3/05/2006 8:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A bench, chopsticks, torch/flashlight, even a fan are all weapons of opportunity; you use what you have at the time. The fact that whole arts have been developed around them is surely silly, but when I'm attacked by surprise next time I'm at the noodle house, jabbing my chopsticks into the eye of my attacker might be an option. I may be wrong, but I don't think even the people that teach these kind of arts would advocate going onto the battlefield with a bench, fan or pair of chopsticks. I've hit a heavy bag with chucks and I think I could control them, and they make a concealable weapon of greater range and impact power than a stick of the same length (plus the entangle ability if you buy that stuff). The Batleth is surely stupid, but at least it's one solid piece and it's sharp; you could do some damage with it.
    None of these would be my first, or second or even thirtieth choice of weapon to bring to a fight, but at least you could use all of them in the way they were intended or they are common enough to be an impromptu weapon (fans were very common back in the day).
    But the 3SS simply has no purpose other than gimmick. It's not concealable, it's not readily available as a common object (you have to WANT to carry one of these things) and it takes too long to gain proficiency and I think it is generally inferior to sword and spear for it to be a battlefield weapon. Being that no video had ever been produced of anyone using one of these things in a realistic (i.e. not a pre-arranged routine) manner, I don't think it CAN be used in an effective way against anyone but the greenest of LARPing ninjer wannabes.

edited to fix typo
    thats what i said about the kung fu bench, it would be one of the most effective because they were all over back then. im gonna start a weopons class were we fight with normal chairs, spoons, forks, dull knifes, plates, and salt shakers

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2006 8:03pm

Style: I know Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No seriously... What do you expect to do with a fan? It won't stop bullets, blades, or empty hand strikes. Given the choice i'd just rather go empty than to look like a sissy and pick up a fan to fight. Unless by Fan you mean a person who follows you around for a signature, then yes, thats a great weapon, let the Fan do the fighting for you.

And i don't think the 3SS is a ninja weapon. More like a KF weapon. And it does not take a lifetime to learn. This is just a combination of skills. If you can fight with a staff and if you can fight with double short-staffs. Then you probably know how to use a 3SS. The 3SS was never meant to be used the way a nunchuck is, swung back and forth at the opponent.

Crappler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    3/05/2006 9:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shard
    No seriously... What do you expect to do with a fan? It won't stop bullets, blades, or empty hand strikes.
    When I woke up this morning I never thought I'd be defending the idea of using a fan as a weapon. Seriously I feel a bit dirty and more than a bit silly for doing this. But here goes:

To use a fan as a weapon, you close it, and use it the same way you would a small stick. I think on the dog brother's website they have some video of people using small hand-sized sticks.

Just to be fair no video has been provided of a Batleth being used in a realistic manner either.
    No video had been provided, but at least if you whack someone you don't have to worry about some section of it coming back around to whack you. US claymore landmines have one side, in raised letters, "This side towards enemy." To me, weapons with a sharp point have an unwritten, but equally as understood, "This end towards enemy." The batleth has a pointy-part (ok it has four, but you only need one) which is understood to go towards the enemy. It's a bit sword-ish. It doesn't take a great leap of faith that you can hack, slash, and stab away with one of these even if it's not as effective as a regular sword. It takes a bit more suspension of disbelief that you can bash away with a 3SS without it bashing away at you at the same time.

This is by no means definitive, truly the batleth and fan are heavyweights of the craptacular weapons, but I still have to give the edge to the three section staff. There's just something about it... when I took an engineering statics class my professor confessed that, as an engineer, when he sees the big heavy lift tower cranes, it "makes his teeth hurt" because the look SO off-balance. In the same way, as a martial artist, the 3SS is just... wrong. It just bugs me to no end how this caught on as a legitimate martial weapon.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2006 9:25pm

Style: Judo, Tomiki Aikido, ??

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I woke up this morning I never thought I'd be defending the idea of using a fan as a weapon. Seriously I feel a bit dirty and more than a bit silly for doing this. But here goes:

To use a fan as a weapon, you close it, and use it the same way you would a small stick. I think on the dog brother's website they have some video of people using small hand-sized sticks..
    Those sort of fans were used as a kind of last ditch weapon amongst Samurai in a manner similar to how you would use a small stick. It could also be used to conceal knives when open or other similar distractions. Think of it as having to use a collapsed umbrella in a pinch because nothing else was available.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2006 9:57pm

Style: nothing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Samurai would also use a "taski", the cord used to bind back their sleaves, in much the same way. Also, the fans could have iron vanes, which makes them pretty effective while collapled. You would use them like a small club.

Not a bad weapon, but not a sword. Still, teaching it as an awesome ninja weapon of amazing power is very stupid.

Loving Father

Posted On:
    3/05/2006 10:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No seriously... What do you expect to do with a fan? It won't stop bullets, blades, or empty hand strikes. Given the choice i'd just rather go empty than to look like a sissy and pick up a fan to fight. Unless by Fan you mean a person who follows you around for a signature, then yes, thats a great weapon, let the Fan do the fighting for you.
    A bamboo fan can be very effectiveif used properly, that is, to it's strengths. You close it, it is a pretty fair short stick - think yawara. It can be snapped open to good pain effect. But, if there is anything else available, I would take it, instead.

Of course, I have an 18" carbon steel fan, with canvas material. . .hella heavy.
    And i don't think the 3SS is a ninja weapon. More like a KF weapon. And it does not take a lifetime to learn. This is just a combination of skills. If you can fight with a staff and if you can fight with double short-staffs. Then you probably know how to use a 3SS. The 3SS was never meant to be used the way a nunchuck is, swung back and forth at the opponent.
    I am good with a staff. Great with a short sword, decent with short staff, and double sticks. It took me a year to be able to do simple sparring with the 3ss. And, I still always lost. It can be a good weapon, if that is the only thing you train in/with for a long time. Every nuance that may occur to you with another weapon, will NOT work with the 3ss. It is unique enough in that respect. I had to learn to use it as a staff weapon, first, before being able to do anything else with it. . .needless to say, I gave both of mine away to a kempo teacher who wanted his kids to learn some exotic weaponry.

Still, the purpose of training is to make YOU the weapon. Your mind is the best weapon, and whatever you touch should, potentially, be used as a weapon. . .stick, rock, shirt scarf, jacket, table, chair, lamp, whatever.

`~/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/06/2006 10:30am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn, I voted the chopsticks but then someone mentioned the paper fans, is it possible to change your vote ?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/06/2006 11:15am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think 3SS sux the most because its useless(the keyring can be used to stab someone in the eyes:icon_wink )

Why all the bad thoughts about the nunchaku? it hurts like hell when you get hit with a wooden/metal nunchaku:crybaby2: . Even when you use it for only swinging it on someones head...

You shouldnt do the fancy stuff but just hit as hard as you can:icon_chee

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/06/2006 11:32am

Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I only have experience with the bench as a weapon.

As explained to me, it was a matter of use what is around you.

That being said, all these weapons are crappy in 2006. Firearms, not so much.

:jihad: :jihad: :jihad:
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast