Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/04/2006 1:46am

Style: karate,MMA(between gyms)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What happened to Krotty?

Will it die out?

My current teacher is really into PRIDE and UFC and loves the MMA phenomenon, but he boxed in his teens and did judo in college and what not; so I can understand why.

But other Uechi-ryu and karate for that matter just seems to get shittier and shittier as time goes on. I have heard other uechi/karate people say that '' A good karate fighter will never be taken down by a jujustsu guy if he does karate properly" or they would say that thier karate is complete by it self. I have even heard two karate guys(brothers) say that ''grapplers have bad balance''(supposedly because they dont kick or something)

Will full contact karate just die?

Will the only good karate left be kyokushin? Kyokushin guys seem to know thier badass and know WHY because of training methods.

EDIT: I wrote about a specific club but i was going off of heresay. I wrote that a while ago without evidence(which is what this site wants right?) Besides i know a guy who trains there and says their pretty good. Apparently they are a solid kyokushin club.

Will full contact goju, uechi, shotokan, shorin-ryu all die out?
    Last edited by AAAhmed46; 10/14/2007 5:39pm at .

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    3/04/2006 1:56am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's full contact Shotokan?!?

Where?!?

Posted On:
    3/04/2006 2:15am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like all martial arts, they adapt or die. I think that martial arts "death" is when a school stands around talking about how they are too deadly to be taken to the ground. I don't think any of the best fighters got that way by looking at a bunch of old scrolls and saying that this is the best way to do it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/04/2006 2:29am

Style: Judo, Tomiki Aikido, ??

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Give it a few more years and I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a bit of a resurgence in traditional Karate as people who studied Krotty start trying to figure out just what the hell the actual stuff looks like. You tend to find a lot of these kind of "return to the source" movements when contemporary versions of something become the target of criticism, especially accurate criticism.

Good for Karate, bad for Krotty.

Posted On:
    3/04/2006 9:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    There's full contact Shotokan?!?

Where?!?
    The krotty class at my gym (just before my kickboxing clases) is Shotokan. IŽve overheard their instructor (a nice guy, BTW) saying that they will be begining to do combat this month. Since I get to watch their classes a little, IŽll let you know if they do full-contact or just point-sparring.

Posted On:
    3/04/2006 9:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kyokushin is the benchmark for Karate. We (shorin ryu) spar full contact, but there are no full contact competions here to enter. Other clubs just don't want the hassle of changing their competions format :(

Posted On:
    3/04/2006 10:41pm

Style: Taekwondo/Judo/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AAAhmed46
    Will it die out?

My current teacher is really into PRIDE and UFC and loves the MMA phenomenon, but he boxed in his teens and did judo in college and what not; so I can understand why.

But other Uechi-ryu and karate for that matter just seems to get shittier and shittier as time goes on. I have heard other uechi/karate people say that '' A good karate fighter will never be taken down by a jujustsu guy if he does karate properly" or they would say that thier karate is complete by it self. I have even heard two karate guys(brothers) say that ''grapplers have bad balance''(supposedly because they dont kick or something)

Will full contact karate just die?

Will the only good karate left be kyokushin? Kyokushin guys seem to know thier badass and know WHY because of training methods. Yeah there are crap kyokushin schools(go to banff in alberta, there is one there) but alot seem to really know WHy thier good.

Will full contact goju, uechi, shotokan, shorin-ryu all die out?
    Most karate in general isn't full contact. A lot of styles seem to believe in semi-contact or light contact sparring. And a lot of the ones that are full contact also use gear.

It seems the only "full contact" as in barenuckle hardcore-ness that exists in Karate is Kyokushin or any of its offshoots. Or Enshin.\

And will we see a resurgence in traditional martial arts? You better believe it. MMA/k-1 style stuff is getting popular in China and Korea. A lot of Chinese and Korean fighters bring a lot of their TMA into the ring with them and even most masters these days acknowledge the need to adapt

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    3/04/2006 10:48pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "I have tried the 'kindler and gentler Uechi-Ryu;' it doesn't work!" retorted one Senior to a proponent.

I once made the mistake one makes when drinking in a said Senior's kitchen with his friend of questioning a principle. The "hey, what about?" sort of question that nominates one for position of "crash-test dummy."

There is little quality independent material in English about Uechi-Ryu. What is there mentions two things: toe kicks and grappling.

Grappling? There is grappling in Uechi?

So, I proclaimed that there was not.

I was demonstrated the error of my ways to the hilarity of the watching masses.

There is no one perfect system for all occassions. A grappler on the floor of the bar is vulnerable to his opponents seventeen friends with heavy boots. Such "criticisms" may be made for any martial art. The "problem" with grappling is it is hard! Most people who do karate do not explore it.

Those who are SENSEIs [Cue Thunderclap--Ed.] do not wish to admit they do not know something. So they belittle it--"Oh! Grapplers lack balance!" "Sparing is not REAL FIGHTING [Tm.--Ed.] as you see on the STREET!" blah . . . blah . . . blah.

While one can criticise elements and approaches, one should not use that as an excuse to dismiss something.

I dismissed an element of an open-hand attack until a Senior-Senior in Uechi flattened me with it. He then demonstrated its potential for grappling by ripping me to the ground as I was screaming in pain like Tom Cruise denying the obvious.

Of course, "finding" elements of fighting arts is difficult.

Make no mistake, I am not saying, "just study this style and ALL will be known." A grappling style will concentrate on . . . grappling! You might then see elements of grappling in your style . . . or not.

I do not think true traditional karate will "die out," but there will be a lot of foolishness out there. It is just the way things are.

--J.D.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    3/04/2006 11:23pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a school in Ft. Lauderdale, "Khral's Martial Arts", a family-owned school. The school has MT and Submission Grappling classes from 8pm till 9pm.... BUT... what it's interesting is that the school also has a krotty class before that, red gi and stuff.

Now, the dude from this place, Roger Khral, puts his stuff on the ring. In fact, he just competed in the last AFC, and won by KO. The dude just let go a furry of blows until putting his opponent in la-la-land.

I think the school keeps the krotty part since that's the bigger money-maker (in particular the kids classes), but as the school evolved, they did the effort to add MT and grappling, and the Khral's have the balls to put their faces in public and fight in MMA events.

I don't know how the red-gi krotty part is playing at this school, but if the school has MT and grappling and actively participates in MMA tourneys, I doubt that their krotty is any watered down t00-d34dl3 stuff.

Some krotty schools either will vanish or get relegated to the esotheric corner, and others, like Khrals, will keep delivering real martial arts stuff that evolves with the times.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    3/04/2006 11:34pm

Style: Taekwondo/Judo/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elnyka
    There is a school in Ft. Lauderdale, "Khral's Martial Arts", a family-owned school. The school has MT and Submission Grappling classes from 8pm till 9pm.... BUT... what it's interesting is that the school also has a krotty class before that, red gi and stuff.

Now, the dude from this place, Roger Khral, puts his stuff on the ring. In fact, he just competed in the last AFC, and won by KO. The dude just let go a furry of blows until putting his opponent in la-la-land.

I think the school keeps the krotty part since that's the bigger money-maker (in particular the kids classes), but as the school evolved, they did the effort to add MT and grappling, and the Khral's have the balls to put their faces in public and fight in MMA events.

I don't know how the red-gi krotty part is playing at this school, but if the school has MT and grappling and actively participates in MMA tourneys, I doubt that their krotty is any watered down t00-d34dl3 stuff.

Some krotty schools either will vanish or get relegated to the esotheric corner, and others, like Khrals, will keep delivering real martial arts stuff that evolves with the times.
    Adding MT isn't evolving with the times. Improving and changing "krotty" itself will make it evolve with the times.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast