Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhamma
    Wow that court/board mat, field whatever the hell you call it looks like something out of some cheesey SF movie.
    LOL - yeah, I think it's usually played on outdoor fields. Apparently it's pretty popular in some of the suburbs of Vancouver, where I live, but I've never actually gone to see it played yet. Here are some more vids.

http://www.kabaddi.org/vids/index.htm

Daniel Igali, a Canadian Olympic wrestling champion, was apparently a big name in kabaddi during the 1990s.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld supporting member
    Style
    Taai Si Ji Kung Fu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elipson
    American football is for pussies who need body armor and a break every 10 seconds.

Absolutely.

Meet the most Giant ***** of all:

Just watch him whine after ending another player's career:
    http://www.extremesportclips.com/viewvideo.php?vid=299

I mean, c'mon! That was a legal hit - what a baby!

"To succeed at the game of football, as in life, you've got to eliminate everything in your path in a blind rage" -- Lawrence Taylor, as B.J. Smith

Style
    FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crowey
    quite a few of those were illegal tackles.
    and i think a few might have been aussie rules football, not rugby, but i'm not sure :eusa_thin
    Being ignorant of rugby rules, exactly what makes those illegal tackles? There are quite a few hits like that in most American football games.

Style
    Shutting up and training
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I watch both American Football and Rugby. I was brought up on rugby so prefer it.

Main things that annoy me in American football:
    1) When they beat a man, it looks awesome....but then they just run off the field. Crap. In rugby at least you get to see them try and "keep the ball alive" by passing to another player so they can have a go.
    2) Lack of passing. No one ever passes unless it's a planned move. Not enough spontanaeity (I think I spelled that wrong)
    3) Blockers. In rugby you have to make your own space, you don't get three guys running in front of you to create that for you.
    4) Stop-start. Play is too broken. Annoying.

Having said all that, I do enjoy watching highlights. No ads, continuous play, and some good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryno
    Being ignorant of rugby rules, exactly what makes those illegal tackles? There are quite a few hits like that in most American football games.

You can't tackle above shoulder height.

Style
    Shutting up and training
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another one:

http://www.irb.com/NR/rdonlyres/9568...003_sa_sam.wmv

The guy in green (Hougaard) was only 19 or 20 at the time and got hit quite hard by 31 year old Brian Lima. I'm pretty sure he was unconscious for a bit. :-/

Style
    BJJ, JKD Concepts, Kali
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had a Rugby player try a "tackle" takedown on me in BJJ yesterday...young guy (about 14 years younger than me), I let him take me to the ground and proceeded to choke him out with the Guillotine he put himself in...made my day.
    The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.
    ~F. Scott Fitzgerald

Whether it is a good thing or a bad thing, smashing things up is sometimes very pleasant.
    ~Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Style
    Shutting up and training
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bwerb
    I had a Rugby player try a "tackle" takedown on me in BJJ yesterday...young guy (about 14 years younger than me), I let him take me to the ground and proceeded to choke him out with the Guillotine he put himself in...made my day.
    Yeah that's standard rugby stuff.

Works on the pitch of course, guillotine's are sadly illegal ;)

Style
    Mizong Quan, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bah. Cross-country ballroom dancing is the only REAL sport. Pfft.

Style
    Boxing/Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While I'm really not fond of Grid-Iron, I wouldn't go so far as to call the player's pussies...

That being said, Rugby is the greatest game in the world. I love it. I can't watch grid-iron, baseball, or soccer for 10 minutes without boredom consuming me, but Rugby is Awesome. That games had to have been thought up by Vikings, and perfected by barbarian hordes because I've never seen anything that looks more fun in my life... now... I wouldn't play it... mostly because I like my teeth where they are and my ribs all in fine orderly columns, but I love watching that game more than anything else in the world, including UFC's, Pride's and any Super Bowl or World Series you can think of.
    A lie gets half-way around the world before the truth has time to get it's pants on. - Winston Churchhill

Style
    BJJ, mma
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If football players are so tough than they can take off the body armor and combine offensive and defensive teams so they have to keep running.

Illegal tackle in rugby: You also have to make an attempt to wrap the person, you cant just charge in with your shoulder.

Rugby tackles are great ways to slam ppl, but they do make you an easy victim for guillotines, I'm still working that out of my system.

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last