Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/03/2006 12:23pm

Style: nothing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaiboxerken
    No.

It didn't quite look like Tai Chi in the park or Wushu on stage. It really didn't look any different than any other MMA fighter's flurry of punches. Granted, you did well and I wouldn't want to fight you. It still didn't look anything like kung fu. Then again, your "kung fu" includes BJJ, Sombo, Boxing and more.
    You aren't serious are you? Our sparring looks nothing like our forms or what you see when people perform tai chi or wushu. The forms are to help you develop certain movements and a good foundation. You don't actually try to imitate them in a fight.

Genius

Posted On:
    3/03/2006 12:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by amichaell
    Our sparring looks nothing like our forms or what you see when people perform tai chi or wushu.
    That's a good point.

The forms are to help you develop certain movements and a good foundation. You don't actually try to imitate them in a fight.
    Why do forms at all? Why not just stick to what you'd do during a fight?
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." – Voltaire.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    3/03/2006 12:55pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chingythingy
    You had a kimura going one place that you could have finished in a cage.
    Cage prevented completion of kimura.

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    3/03/2006 1:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The techniques are in the forms, the forms make up the style. It's like a physical book of the style as opposed to a written book.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/03/2006 1:20pm

Style: nothing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For several reasons:

1. So we can realize how our positioning is supposed to feel at various ranges.
    2. Footwork
    3. Build a solid base
    4. Learn the movements

While doing a form I am constantly asking myself what I'm doing wrong. Is my footwork correct? Elbow positioning? Weight distribution? et cetera. With the form I learn to realize how all of these *should* feel. We augment that with drills and technical notes with the goal of transitioning all of that in to our sparring sessions.

You might be able to get the same effect with drills alone, though it would probably take longer. I dunno.

The trap some fall in to is believing that forms alone will make them a good fighter. I have a friend who believes that. He believes that after doing tai chi for 10 years then all of his form work (with no sparring) will just "be there" in a fight situation.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/03/2006 1:24pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's a good point.

Why do running, sit-ups, shadow boxing, push-ups weights, and just fight?

Don't let Shaolin-Do and form whores color your perceptions. IMO what happened was people decided to keep history alive. Instead of throwing out old forms, when new and better forms were created they, just kept adding on.

Posted On:
    3/03/2006 2:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You really do Kung Fu omega? 100% no bullshit?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    3/03/2006 3:01pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mantis
    The techniques are in the forms, the forms make up the style. It's like a physical book of the style as opposed to a written book.
    Man, that was deep.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    3/03/2006 3:03pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by omega
    Don't do Tai chi, Don't do Wu shu, Don't do boxing, Don't do BJJ.
    Pretty cool clip man. Pretty cool. Dude you got balls. BTW, what exactly is your base? What arts do you do? Up and until know I though you did BJJ besides Sambo (?????????????)

Quote Originally Posted by Satori
    Would you mind sharing some strategies/techniques in particular that you prepare and utilize that set you apart from the standard MT/BJJ Fighter?
    Yeah, please do. What arts have you been training? And for how long? It feels extremely gay to say it, but it has to be said... you got balls the size of papayas... oh God, I feel unclean!!!! :angry9:
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/03/2006 3:26pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by odacon
    You really do Kung Fu omega? 100% no bullshit?
    It's no bullshit. Anybody who's met me realizes that. Some are quite suprised on how traditional I am.

BTW guys I train like any other professional athlete, I run, I spar and I do excercise, even if some of those exercises are horse stance drills and partial forms. Did anybody see the last Ultimate Fighter and the wall sit exercise? Yeah, strong legs or as one of my fighters likes to say "can't shoot a cannon out of a canoe; and before anybody metions weight training I do that too.

BTW I wish my matches at 175 survived the test of time, that's when I had good hand speed.
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast